PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Display driver update (January 2010) crashes KBAP

peterchen
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
After installing the nVidia display Driver update January 2010 (available through Windows Update as "optional"), Armored Princess crashes when entering the main game map with the following error:

---------------------------
Application aborted!
C:\work\skyfallen\tbm\BMRender\rmode.cpp(5534): DirectX call failed: -1, -1, E_FAIL (An undetermined error occurred inside the Direct3D subsystem)
OK

My System:
i7-920 @ 2.67GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
North Bridge Intel X58 Revision 13
South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) Revision 13
nVidia GeForce 8600 GT, 256MB
Windows 7 Profesisonal

-------

Note: Windows update automatically sets a restore point, so you can restore the system to the state before the update was installed. This does solve the problem. (at least for me).

Breadfan
02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
After installing the nVidia display Driver update January 2010 (available through Windows Update as "optional"), Armored Princess crashes when entering the main game map with the following error:

Application aborted!
C:\work\skyfallen\tbm\BMRender\rmode.cpp(5534): DirectX call failed: -1, -1, E_FAIL (An undetermined error occurred inside the Direct3D subsystem)
OK

My System:
i7-920 @ 2.67GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Windows 7 Profesisonal

-------

Note: Windows update automatically sets a restore point, so you can restore the system to the state before the update was installed. This does solve the problem. (at least for me).

Peter, this is a common problem with Windoze update.
You need to get latest drivers from NVidia, not Micro$oft.
Once installed, you will probably have to reinstall DirectX, to completely fix things.
These `optional` Windoze updates are a nightmare, personally I turn them off.

perfectpitcher22
12-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Application aborted!
OK

My System:
i7-920 @ 2.67GHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Windows 7 Profesisonal

-------

That's the reason why I'd rather not update my drivers. While upgrades fixes problems and bugs most of the time, there are also instances that it leads to a worse situation. Just like before when I had my video card drivers update (http://www.driversupdate.org). The screen forces images to be wider even if they're not really intended for widescreens, that turned out to be annoying. :( I don't think it's really necessary unless you have problems with your current versions. Just an opinion.