PDA

View Full Version : Famine to Feast

Zechnophobe
02-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I am currently working on a No loss impossible run with Paladin (My first try was successful on hard, and now I'm going to Paladin, which I think is generally the hardest No Loss class).

This was probably the most brutal game I've played so far, as I got almost nothing of any value up until Verona. Target was my only awesome spell... but I had only the 1 green dragon (Including verona!) to use it on. No cyclopses on Bola, No Trolls anywhere. My only good item (which is PRETTY good) is the twinkling boots. Found those fairly early on, but they only really shine in the mid to late game anyway.

Well, to skip a long story of hard work... I finally get to Dersu Island and sneak around to find the La Crosse Shield! (Finally some troops!). Further more, late in the game (level 38) I have just plundered from Reha:

1) The full Scale set
2) A second Slippery Cuirass
3) Sandal's of the Martyr
4) Timeback
5) Helm of Chaos

Sadly I cannot equip both cuirass' AND the scale set at the same time. But I still have 5+15+10+20= 50 base physical resistance. My Black dragons have 70 physical, and 85 Fire, 95 Magical.

What an amazing turn-around. Had to kick Jimmy to the curb though for a companion who could better use the loot I'd found (Still have decided to finish up with Trigger or Agvares.)

DGDobrev
02-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow, those are going to be some mean Black Dragons. Will anything manage to hurt them substantially? :)

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
I noticed I got much better available units choices and items as well as better quantity of units available on my normal runs than the hard run I'm working on. Does anyone know if the difficulty setting is designed to affect the quality and quantity of units and items found?

On a normal run I found Red Dragons on Rusty (3) and a single Black Dragon on Verona (2 separate runs), but on a hard run I'm finding only marauders and robbers in quantity on Rusty. Griffins and Evil Beholders are there but in very tiny quantity and nothing better so far anywhere. So far the items are terrible. With a warrior having 2 places for armor (with Jimmy Kraud) I've found no armor of any sort anywhere. I'm glad for that consistent Green Dragon, and I found a Call Colossus buried in a chest on a ship battle, scored a Red Dragon with that one.

I'm surprised you didn't find any Cyclops on Bola!

Zechnophobe
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised you didn't find any Cyclops on Bola!

Me too, this is, quite literally, my 8th run through of the game, and the only one where not a single Cyclops spawned anywhere on bola.

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
On my 4th run and this time no Cyclops, not just missing from Bola but I've only got 2 islands left to unlock and no Cyclops anywhere. Last 3 games they were abundant. No problem though, while safe and reliable they are boring and I've found better stuff finally. This run has been a real famine to feast for me too, now I see what you mean by that statement.