PDA

View Full Version : Disappointingly easy

GodClone
01-29-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi . Was disappointed on how easy the game was .

Short history concerning King's bounty . Played The legend, first time on impossible, didn't find anything remotely hard, then, at the end i found out that the game keeps score! :)) . Would have played it again for a better score but why would i do that when i can play the expansion! :) .

So i start the expansion first play, setting on impossible, and when i saw the achievement of "no loss" fights, i wanted to do that all game . Said and done .
Finished the game with all quests done (minus one , i killed a bounty before got the quest , but cba to load that far back ) , all bosses done, no loss , 100% (well almost) spellbook damage . ( yes i was a mage!, always a mage... why play fantasy games without magic powers :)) )

So finished the game at level 59 on day 27 ( damn island travel acting as courier, but time to completion can't be found important on first play when u don't already know the quests .

Played the game without an army , only used black dragons, (for enemy heroes, and kiting/fire dmg slow units when i was oom ), Archdemons for initiative+invisibility , trolls for some bosses, and paladin tanking for Ktahu and Baal . (always only 1 (stack) of units )

Info about some "difficult" fights some guys complain .

Squire : Had the elf mage squire , when he challenged me i had black dragons, so i was 95% magic resistant , immune to spells and just gaiser-ed him into oblivion, ez .

Bosses :
Driller -> 1 troll with stone skin on defense and spellnuke him .

Spider > boss 1 troll in a corner tank and spelldmg the boss .

Giant frog > 1 troll and spelldmg .

Gremlion > 5 trolls stacks of 1 on second row so he doesn't summon towers on defense stance and spell nuke him . had about 85% spell resistance and his aoe dmg did 500-600 dmg on trolls which they regened every round love trolls . (30% from mantle, 25% from the degree from elon after beating the master wizard, 20% from mirror shield, 5% from achievement, and 5% from a dwarf dress which gives 5% resist all dmg .

Ktahu , stack of paladins tank while i spelldmg him , had 95% phisical resistance (with stone skin) so his aoe was a pitiful 200 dmg~ .

Baal > same as Ktahu , Wohoo 200 dmg aoe from Baal, pitiful , his dmg did get higher the lower his healt got, almost to 400 ! lol, )

Note* i left all bosses as last fights , so as stats i had 65~ intelect without buffs , had fire arrow for 5500~ dmg, ghost blade for 5200~ dmg(used only on baal) , Death star / geiser for 11k dmg max , etc .

If planing to make more expansions, please make them harder, don't think i even used load game more than 20 times all game .

Maybe you should add an insane difficulty or something, to keep good players interested, at least during their first gameplay .

Kek, playing whole game first time with a whooping army of 1 black dragon, or 1 archdemon , true i did use trolls for their regen powers and paladins for dmg resistance at some bosses, but still .

P.S. Don't get me wrong, they are great games, ... just to easy .

Oh ... forgot to add i played them without any addons or mods, and without 100 restarts for convenience , played them on first try and played it with the "cards" i was dealt . ( i saw that these are common "tactics" around this forum . )

DGDobrev
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Congrats! Some screens and/or a save game would be nice for the people to marvel at your success with the spellbook.

Just like I said in the other thread, you certainly got one of the best game setups ever to be seen. You had a ton of extremely useful items - for example, anti-magic diploma + mirror shield + wizard's mantle + leather dress is very hard to find in a single game. I don't remember having all of them in over 15 games I played since the russian version was launched. Best I had was the anti-magic + wizard's mantle + crystal ball (the new item in gift bag, +5% resistances like the dress) and that was it. Another thing is that, for example, I never had a game with Slippery Cuirass and Twinkling boots both present. Call me unlucky, but with all due respect, a game setup like yours is probably 1/100. Not everyone gets it, and if you get a real bad setup - let's say only leader dress + the antimage diplom for magic resist, no slippery cuirass and twinkling boots, only one 10 runes free item, no magess dresses and a crapload of "useless" items. I believe that this is why some people have a reason to complain.

I can say the same about the 65 intellect. To get there you need Elenhel, Archmage Staff or Great Druid staff or the guaranteed Necro Staff, 2x Magess Dress, Ancient Amulet, Dead Skull, Usurer's Ring and/or Amulet of Death and/or Ring of the Snake King and a few +1 Int shrines, because without the new official Gift Bag mini-addon by 1c/Katauri, the best INT score you can get is 71 (with it is about 75), and you were only 6 points below it, which is outstanding, to say the least.

I suggest you try to do another game. The game setup will be much more different and I am certain that you may find the next one much more challenging.

joasoz
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
This game really is GREAT, but there are some "holes" in it that makes cheesy strategies work too well in my opinion.

Some suggestions from me:

1. Make enemy heroes more effective by giving some of the better heroes two spell uses the first rounds (as humans get). Then it would be easier to program an AI that would recognize a small army and cast some weakness spell and then fire arrow to take out a single troll or dragon.
2. Even though units are partial randomized, the game could have some code that would make some armies have tougher combos (mix trolls and several groups of inquisitors in underground areas)
3. Rethink some mana/magic functionality to avoid the possibility of moving away from last enemy and heal forever.
4. Try to rebalance a bit so that level 5 doesnt totally rule the world (this is the basis of some one unit/stack strategies)
5. Introduce some new stuff like capture the castle (by occupying three central spots behind the enemy). Kill all ballistas (enemy units are defending some ballistas that are shooting at you every turn).

joasoz
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
One could also randomize the battle a little to make it less "mechanical"

1. Every round one unit gets two extra speed points (difficult to run away from a unit forever).
2. After round 20 there is a 5% chance every round of the gods getting angry at the cowardly battle and they will send a lightening on one of the units of the largest remaining army.
3. After round 10 there is a 5% chance every round of a neutral unit entering the battle to help one of the sides. (depending on the race, location and so on).

This will not turn a battle upside down, but it will make things a bit more interesting in my opinion.

fable
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
How did you do the 2 castles in Montero?

Also, do you have a save game before K'tahu? I want to give it a try with your build, I failed miserably with paladins only, because summoned tirexes were fearing them and I got overwhelmed.

loreangelicus
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
GodClone, try for a game on impossible, no losses, at just 7 days.

The problem with an impossible run, even a no-loss one, is that you could map-kite, or at the very least you could essentially pick your fights from easiest to hardest. But if you add a time factor, especially something as restrictive as 7 days, then you are sometimes forced into fights that you would normally skip for later.

Granted, once you get to higher levels with a mage, you can just use a solo unit and take on enemies in whatever order, but the first few levels/islands would be hell.

GodClone
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
How did you do the 2 castles in Montero?

Also, do you have a save game before K'tahu? I want to give it a try with your build, I failed miserably with paladins only, because summoned tirexes were fearing them and I got overwhelmed.

yes i have lots of saved games, but as i said i think i missed a bounty quest in montero, killed him before the quest, one of the obelisk guards .

Oh and upon checking a few corrections , day 26 instead of 27 and half way to 59 not 60 .

Here is a save from Debir Island .

http://rapidshare.com/files/342969589/Debir_Island_.sav.html

Here is one before Ktahu
http://rapidshare.com/files/342969965/Paladins_vs_Ktahu.sav.html

Here is one before Baal .

http://rapidshare.com/files/342970239/Paladins_vs_Baal.sav.html

About Ktahu with just paladins, stick them in a corner and main priority is to kill Tirexes , only dmg boss when no Tirexes around, and he doesn't summon units if there are no hexes free next to your units, so only 1 stack in a corner does wonders .

Yes, i could try to do it in the least time possible , but i allready started playing mass effect 2, so maybe after ill give it a shot, will need a quest database tho . To lazy to map my own :P .

I did not check the saves ingame, and uploaded them just by name, if there is something wrong, tell me, i will check ingame and upload them again .

Oh, for bosses i stacked resistance gear so i will be allot of intellect short of my usual map fighting .

For early fights just use ranged units only .