PDA

View Full Version : Treasure seeker level 3

smee
01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I searched for an answer to this and couldn't find a definitive one.

Treasure seeker level 3 seems like a waste because it looks like it doesn't reveal a third treasure, it merely reveals a (generally weak and useless) damaging obstacle in addition to the 2 treasures. Plus it takes 3 more rage to use. Is there any real benefit to going up to level 3, or is it a bad idea?

DGDobrev
01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Benefits are huge :)

Get it to 3/2 for 8 rage. For the measly amount of 24 rage per battle you will lay your hands on tons of money, spells, runes, and wanderers' scrolls.

Zechnophobe
01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Basically, getting the third upgrade for it is only really useful in getting the upgrades after that. You can get the cost reduced back down to 8, and eventually find 3 treasures per combat, which can be nice.

Also note that you get more experience from better upgraded abilities (Not that treasure searching at end of combat will give much xp).

tetleytea
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't like 3, but I like 4. That gives you access to 2 altars and 3 treasures. You would almost never actually do all 5 casts in a single battle, but what it does is give you options. You get to choose WHICH of the 2 altars and 3 treasures you're going to dig up. It is not uncommon that I'll toy with the enemy at the end of a battle and try to pick up all 3 treasures. In the meantime I'm also casting my resurrects, and I also use sea dogs and marauders, who really rake in the dough at the end. I'll start phasing out the sea dogs and marauders by the time I have all the gold I'm going to need, but I still use that treasure seeker as much as I can. You get rage for striking the finishing blow, so you tend to get the rage back. Also that extra rage you spend goes toward a medal.

smee
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
OK thanks for all the answers!

Just so I am not missing something, though -- the altars really aren't of any use, are they? Does anyone here consistently dig those up, and if so, why?

tetleytea
01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't dig up altars a lot, but they have their moments. Like in Montero, you'll dig up dwarven mines. You can shoot those mines with your archers when enemy stacks are next door, and it'll slaughter them. Also a well-placed altar can be better than a stone wall (but you probably don't use stone walls much, either). Treasure chests can serve as obstacles, too. Altars on the other side of the playing field can serve as cheap versions of balls of lightning. The big thing is, start to cast a Treasure Seeker toward the beginning of battle, find out where all the red and green squares are, and if you don't like what you see, simply right-click and do something else. No harm done.