PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with the drill mech?

oceanskie
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi guys,

LVL 31 Mage with approxi 7.5k leadership. This is my last encounter on Montero.

Attempted this fight on two previous occasions using different army compositions with mild success. Both times got owned during phase 3 due to the boss getting repaired for 4k+. Also suffered massive loss around the same time from machine gun fire.

Strategies employed so far include 2-3 dmg dealers consisted of 2 physical resist. units + 1 non-retaliation unit, 1 ranged + 1 LVL1 stack dealing with droids.

Here's hoping one of the master tacticians here can share some wisdom on the fight :confused:

Zechnophobe
01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Ah, master tactician once say "Come back later."

If you fight him right, you shouldn't even have to worry about droids. And fighting him right means having about twice the leadership you have now!

TemjinGold
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM
1) Get a full stack of trolls. (Don't use ANY other stacks.)
2) Make sure you have Stone Skin, Avenging Angel, and Mana Spring Level 3.
3) Keep Stone Skin and Avenging Angel on trolls. (Slap on whatever physical resist stuff you have too)
4) Use Mana Spring if running low on mana.
5) Just attack with trolls.
6) ???
7) Profit!

:)

As long as you keep attacking him, he won't summon any droids. I did this with 1 troll on impossible (Avenging Angel and the occasional fire arrow did most of the damage), so you should be fine if you have the spells.

MaroonMaurader
01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
If you want a real easy, real cheap method for beating him, fable already just about summed it up:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=131576&postcount=4

You don't really need the scale set, but at least *some* items giving a boost to physical resistance is nice (the higher the better, anywhere up to a total boost without stoneskin of 25%).

oceanskie
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Awesome, I'll give the troll strategy a try first as i remember having half a stack sitting in Debir.

Thanks all.

Edit: just finished the fight with zero loss using TemjinGold's troll strategy. Used Titan Armour (+10 def) and Ancient Knowledge (+50% exp) :)

ivra
01-23-2010, 04:41 PM
The Troll strategy is probably the easiest...

I just made it on impossible warrior with more than one stack. The trick was to use max 4 stacks, so that there never were two of my stacks in the same row - that makes it too tempting for the driller to take out the big gun and shoot everyting on that column. Although my tank with stoneskin will manage, my poor support stack will loose around 1/4th of its size... My setup was Paladins and Knights as tanks (Stoneskin3 on both) + Inquisitors and Shamans as support. I was level 34 and had no Turn Back Time, so I needed the driller to summon some Repair Droids. Luckily it did so in the third position. I kept a small portion of the Repair Droids alive and gave them space so that they could stand in a corner and shoot (they would die immediately if they did a melee attack against any of my troops). Afther the driller was killed I could gather around the Paladins and resurrect my troops. I needed the Phantom spell also since the ressurection power of the Inquisitors and Paladins alone was not enough to recover every loss.

Conclusion:
Do not fight with more than 4 stacks in the driller fight.

tetleytea
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I beat Driller with no loss by using Berserker. My Berserked pallies were doing 10k a pop. Whenever you knock him into the next phase he won't retaliate, plus the next turn you know he's going to do the tunnel collapsing thing. Just make sure your ranged units aren't in those slots and he basically wastes that turn on nothing. A lvl 2 Dispel on my pallies, and the only thing I had to resurrect was the pallies themselves.

DGDobrev
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
That is a good tactic for normal difficulty, well done :) The problem is that on impossible difficulty the boss has a total of 98K hp (1+2+3 position) and using 1 tank +4 ranged units will make them prone to a gun shot (which is the highest chance attack for the boss if there are 2 units in the same line), which is highly undesirable...

Hento
02-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi guys,

LVL 31 Mage with approxi 7.5k leadership. This is my last encounter on Montero.

Attempted this fight on two previous occasions using different army compositions with mild success. Both times got owned during phase 3 due to the boss getting repaired for 4k+. Also suffered massive loss around the same time from machine gun fire.

Strategies employed so far include 2-3 dmg dealers consisted of 2 physical resist. units + 1 non-retaliation unit, 1 ranged + 1 LVL1 stack dealing with droids.

Here's hoping one of the master tacticians here can share some wisdom on the fight :confused:

I was about the same lvl mage as you are and on hard, when I defeated Driller, I specifically remember using only Dragon Army(red, black and green) and using fireball and fire rain, then later fire arrows(about 3k damage).

I had no trouble whatsoever, zero losses of course. Are you sure you developed your mage properly, meaning focusing on skills that increase your intellect, both in mind and magic trees?

tetleytea
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Actually, I didn't use 1 tank and all ranged units. For the Driller I like Droids the best (you are, after all, on Montero). You can hit him with the guard droids all you want, just as if they were a summoned unit--you are, after all, going to repair them all anyway. And there's no reason the Driller should ever hit the repair droids. Plus with the repair droids' speed they have no problem getting out of the way of the collapsing tunnel.

I was no-loss completely by accident, so I imagine Pallies + Droids would scale to Hard etc. without too much problem. I could have filled the remaining two army slots with anything (well okay, almost anything: speed 1 units would not be too wise).

N3MES1S
02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I remember long time ago i tried it with mage and was impossible for me, 2 days after that i tried with a warrior and the driller was TOOO easy (killed him with no losses..) so im wondering if the game lacks of equilibrium playing with a mage (yea u need to have at max. all spells, but i dont see that fair enough). I killed the drill with paladins, royal griffins and horsemen with no losses lol. But that troll strategy seems to be funny.

Hento
02-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Troll units are so funny, they laugh and increase their attack when others get hurt, they regenerate health after each round, they are just like real-life trolls.

watersky82
02-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Troll units are so funny, they laugh and increase their attack when others get hurt, they regenerate health after each round, they are just like real-life trolls.

Does Troll really regenerate life? How come when I fight a group of trolls, I didn't see them regenerate at all?

Direwolf
02-09-2010, 03:31 AM
You probably were fighting in the day.

Trolls only regen (Health not units) during the night (which begins at 9pm game time) or in underground fights. (caves, mines etc)

cheers,
Dw

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-10-2010, 01:50 AM
I use the same basic strat as with Gremilion. Range units. For the Driller I found Evil Beholders did very good damage. Cyclops very good. Druids and Demonologist for the range attack and summoned help. Arch-Mage for range and shield if needed. I haven't tried cannoneers but I bet they work well.

Driller and Gremilion both have some sort of range attack but they just didn't use it that much on me, really just 1 time. I had summoned melee units on them as well. It may be there is some programming that has them attack you using range more so when you have all range units and no melee.

Using range and summons like that Driller was super easy. I didn't wait that long so I wasn't over powered up when I went back either.

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-10-2010, 01:51 AM

To me it looks like they're getting a tummy ache when they get that malice power up. In the beginning I thought they were getting hurt.