PDA

View Full Version : how do you kite so much?

adecoy95
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
i hear alot of people say they get like, thousands of leadership, experience, and many many maps without fighting at all, but i am trying to do the same thing, and its not working.

im trying to kite the eagles on scarlet wind for the map, but all the other monsters keep getting in the way lol

how do you do it?

DGDobrev
01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
The good old pause and save trick :) When the guards move a little, pause and quicksave. Then move a little bit, pause and save again.

loreangelicus
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
The Bolo map is easy enough to kite since it spawns in either an unguarded position (near Rob Cuttlefish's cave) or up a small hill near the castle.

The Rusty Anchor map is a bit tricky to kite. It is generated in an alcove with an enemy guard, and near a shrine that also has a guard. The idea is to kite them together towards the central large area. So first kite the guard near the shrine to follow you to the alcove, then run ahead of him and kite the guard of the map. Don't run away too fast since they would stop following you, just use pause/spacebar a lot to move in small increments, and actually wait for them to catch up a little if you move too far. Then just kite them together to the central large area (where you could run rings around them) and run back to get the map.

Sometimes a Verona map is generated in Scarlet, but an un-kite-able enemy guards it.

Kiting takes away the challenge of the game, though. So only do it if you are stuck in your game and don't know what else to do to make your army and character more powerful.

MaroonMaurader
01-18-2010, 03:07 AM
I would slightly disagree. Kiting will take away the challenge of the *fights* in the first third of the game or so. Kiting is, however, quite tricky to do well (easy if you just abuse saving-and-loading until it works, but hard to do without saving in the middle). And by the time you hit the second half of the game you'll probably be struggling even if you did some kiting early.

I also kite because it helps you speed through what I find the boring part of the game - when you have basically no intelligence, no mana, no spells, no dragon abilities, and limited units - thus your choices for fights are very narrow. Admittedly it's a hard part of the game, but boring nonetheless to me.

loreangelicus
01-18-2010, 03:24 AM
Isn't it more boring to enter into a fight and know 100% that you would win and most likely massacre the enemy with impunity? Because aside from boss fights, this is what the late-middle to late game is all about.

If there was any fight at all in the middle to late game that was difficult in any form or way, you could always drop all of your units and get black knights with eviln spell support, even without the shard; this tactic is a non-option at all in the first part of the game.

The hardest part and most challenging part of the game is the first part, that is if you didn't skip it by map-kiting.

Map-kiting does not do well for your end-game score too. You will definitely spend a lot more than 7 in-game days to finish the game, adversely affecting your final score.

To each his own, I guess.

Metroplex
01-18-2010, 05:35 AM
If they want to cheat by taking the map using these sly cowardly ways instead of winning it in a fair fight then it's their choice I suppose.

loreangelicus
01-18-2010, 06:14 AM
If they want to cheat by taking the map using these sly cowardly ways instead of winning it in a fair fight then it's their choice I suppose.

Easy there buddy, let us refrain from using words like "cheat" and "cowardly" in reference to other people's actions.

Kiting in general is an option, be it map kiting or other kiting. I understand your sentiments, but I believe the time, and resulting end-game score penalty is enough to limit the use of this option.

Elwin
01-18-2010, 08:28 AM
How do u call that cheating?? cheat is something easy mode .. to cheat you just type cheat and u got it .. kiting is not like that ... u can spend hours on that

lauvhk
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
It is quite refreshing to unlock most area for the first couple playthroughs by map kiting, just like being level 5 in Demonis back in KB:TL. But by doing so, you are simply trivializing the content, even if partially, and I believe this is enough to deter players constantly map kiting in their games.

ender
01-18-2010, 12:39 PM
For me first 15-20 levels of game and especially first 50 battles are most fun to play. If you can kite somehing without pause/reload I think is ok to do it, but too much leadership will ruin Debir fights.

DGDobrev
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
The game is open for the players to play it as they wish and it's up to their own preference. As such, calling people cheaters because they kite maps is improper, because this is simply a part of the game. Cutting away obvious paths of advancement is pretty much like depriving yourself from extra content.

In addition to that, we're not fighting for prizes here, so everyone should be free to play the game as he/she likes :)

Zechnophobe
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, I don't agree that it is 'sly or cowardly' but kiting maps is pretty exploitative, especially those that have 'immobile' guards that require a lot of save and loads to get to move away.

DGDobrev
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
And of course, let's not forget that a successful map kiting tactic (kite, do no-fight quests, etc.) results in a serious loss of game days, which, in term, hurts the score. Small kiting results in a starting lvl of 8-9 and a loss of 2-3 days (Debir-Scarlet-Bolo-Rusty-Verona-Elon-Sheterra-Debir - the level may be even higher if you luck out with XP shrines in Verona, Elon and Sheterra). Medium kiting results in a loss of 4-5 days and a starting level of 12-13 (Debir-Scarlet-Bolo-Rusty-Verona-Umkas-Uzala-Elon-Sheterra-Debir - again, can be higher if you find XP shrines). Extensive kiting results in a loss of 6-7 days and a starting level of 20-23 (Debir-Scarlet-Bolo-Rusty-Verona-Umkas-Reha-Uzala-Nameless-Dersu-Elon-Sheterra-Debir, and you should squeeze in Tekron in this scheme for the glasses quest in Dersu). That is, in a way, if you're lucky and if you get the maps in favorable locations.

People who are striving for a good score will never kite and will try to finish the game by day 10 at most.

That unequivocally proves that it is not cowardly to kite for the maps, as you will pay a serious price for that.

Elwin
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Completly agree with Dobrev, its nice to kite but its not without a penalty

Zechnophobe
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I.. guess? But there is a hefty e-peen trend for these games in achieving 'no loss' victories, which are often done via notorious amounts of map kiting. I think what I'm suggesting there is that kiting like that cheapens your results, no matter what.

Also, while you might say that kiting early maps will waste some days.. compared to someone who is constantly going back and forth trying to find winnable battles, the Kiter will sail right through the first 4 or 5 islands, and likely recoup a lot of the possible time loss. Sure, it detracts from the LOWEST POSSIBLE finish time, but very few people really try for that.

Oh, and major kudo's o unicornxp by the way for his runs that are both short (day wise) AND no loss. Now that's impressive!

evilbob
01-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Sometimes a Verona map is generated in Scarlet, but an un-kite-able enemy guards it.

They all kite, just not far. Even a few inches is generally enough to squeeze by and snag the map. I can now always get the scarlet and bolo maps off debir, rusty anchor and verona maps off scarlet and, depending on position (must be on main island and not off to side) tekron off rusty anchor which typically gives me umkas off tekron. I forget what i get off of there, though. Maybe it was reha? I know i picked up that last time...

They certainly get harder, though. Narrower paths until you can barely move your horse from side to side etc...

That in itself is a difficulty all its own. Albeit one that doesn't have it's own achievement award. Shame they didn't put one in like...Explorer.

Elwin
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
verona on scarlet is kiteable and its critical for kiting. If u dont have it, the one on bolo is unkiteable and thats a problem

travelingoz
01-20-2010, 04:18 AM
The Verona map on Bolo is kiteable but it's a pain in the ass! I've done it 2 times now and you have to kite the 2 patrols away to the small village first so you have time to get it.

loreangelicus
01-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Wow, you guys can kite the Verona map found in Scarlet and Bolo? :) That goes to show that I don't have much kiting experience on me as I can't seem to kite those two, even when I have killed other wandering enemies.

I usually try kiting for navi maps at the start just to see what the wanderer scroll generated by each location (for duplicate maps) provides; this is worthwhile to do since a wanderer scroll generated from a particular location is always fixed. For example, in my game the Bolo map in Scarlet gave me Fortune's Smile while the one in Debir gave me Ancient Knowledge, so I just got the Bolo map from Scarlet to get the duplicate in Debir for later.

ckdamascus
03-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I was really impressed people could kite so far, so I tried it myself.

I personally prefer the term "juke", since I have heard kiting in games like Warcraft 3.. Killing In Transit (K.I.T) where you basically hit and run with no chance for them to retaliate. Juking was a term in Warcraft 3 / DoTA when you psyche out an enemy hero into running the wrong way. That seems like a better analogy, but I digress.

It is a pretty crazy rush to get a map and escape from the clutches of an invincible army so you can one day return and kick their butt! Although, I am pretty sure some maps are unkitable. I have sat next to the enemy and they simply do not move at all, making them TRULY unkitable. Perhaps I am wrong though as I am fairly new to this game, but I've nailed most navigation maps.

It also makes me wonder if kiting was truly intended in this game. Why make some units 100% immobile, mostly immobile, or really mobile?

In other cases, you got guys on a small island, and the second you land, they run at you. I ALMOST had it once, but I blew it. Too much real time lost trying to do it.

That said, I have kited some crazy stuff that I had no idea i could do. Every time I keep thinking "you have done enough, you can never get past those triple guards patrolling", I kept going and amazingly I pulled it off somehow!

My last game, I kited every map except Tekron and Montero? The Montero guards at Verana are truly unkitable, yeah?

copcod
06-13-2010, 09:10 AM
to me, the enemy behavior looks like it was designed with kiting in mind. ITs perfectly natural to sneak around on a new island and try to grab the resources you will need rather than to bash your head against the entrenched fortifications.

I try to keep my kiting quick and easy though. the worst one for me was finishing that levers and gears quest on montero. yuck.

Zechnophobe
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Well, there's sneaking around, and then there trying to get units that are basically mobile to move via the long drawn out process of saving/loading a dozen or so times.

The latter is a bit on the nutso side (in my opinion).