PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding armageddon

Hento
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Is there any pattern in enemy heroes casting Armageddon or is it random?
I think it might have something to do with destroying their units too fast..?

If it is random than there is no other way than to kill them in the first round...

Elwin
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Depends on hero .. but yes defating him too quickly can cause this .. most armagedon guys have demon portal so the best is to not harm him much and gethim out of mana on portal . I defeated Impossible uldara with easy no loss at around level 30 .. i had just 1 stack of unit. So she wasnt feel dangered and never casted it ;)

DGDobrev
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Your supposition is correct. Against heroes with armageddon, try to stall. Don't kill their units too fast, let them cast demon portal instead till they're out of mana. When your leadership starts to outweigh theirs (I'm not certain by how much), they usually start to cast it.

If you can't stall (especially on impossible, because Archdemons there "half!" your troops like crazy), try to take their numbers down gradually. I had Samman down to 85 mana on impossible, which was only 2 armageddons - and with paladins + phantom, you can easily recover from these losses.

Elwin
01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I suffered 4 armageddons from samman but i replensihed losses by letting imp alive and phantoming paladins as dobrev said

TemjinGold
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Interesting...

DGD: Do you know if "your leadership outweighs theirs" counts summoned units or just the units you actually brought into the fight? If it's the latter, I guess my mage will never need to worry about facing geddon... :)

Hento
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
with paladins + phantom, you can easily recover from these losses.

What a great idea, I can't believe I missed that!
Instead I spent on lvl 3 order magic and I should have on distortion and summoning...I have to start all over now.:(

Elwin
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Well have wrote about this countless times already :p

ivra
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
The use of Inquisitors has been mentioned before, and it works. I am playing an impossible mage game and aiming for no-loss battles (so far so good).

If you have a decent Mana Accelerator, maybe even maxed it, and the Phantom spell you can always achieve a no-loss battle.

The key is to let the enemy empty his mana and you need to kill all but one enemy stack, preferably a unit with no retaliation or a ranged unit. If you use the Holy Anger ability three times and only use Phantom level 1, you will create more mana by Mana Accelerator than the mana you use to cast Phantom. Use the extra mana to ressurect your units (by using the Ressurection talent of the Inquisitor one time and Holy Anger only two times, the Ressurection or Eviln spell, or Phantom on the Paladin or Repair Droid.)

Sometimes I manage to stop the enemy before he has emptied his mana. The Fear spell is nice for this. Save one enemy stack of level 1 and 2 and Fear it when that is the only stack the enemy has left. This requires that you do not use level 1 or 2 units yourself, of course.

It might not be elegant, and you need to be patient. In my worst two battles, the enemy managed to kill over half of all my stacks by Lightning, Geysir, Armageddon etc. It took me over 100 turns to ressurect everything...

The only problem with this approach is bosses since you cannot use the Pet Dragon at all in those fights...

Another benefit using this approach is that it is no problem at all to reach 21000 spent Rage points during the game. I am about 2/3 through and already there...

Arilian
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
It worked for me to keep their low level high stack alive then blind them (as a mage/hight magic) then i have finished them withouth he ever casted again.

For heroes with geayser spam i just use 1 stack of dragons +maybe 1 stack of black ones.
(again as a mage) and suffer no loss.