PDA

View Full Version : Defense vs. Resistance

bobking
12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Is there any correlation between resistance and defense? Basically, if my defense is 40 vs. his 10 and my fire resistance to fire is 0%, then I'm screw if he hits me with a fireball correct? What about physical resistance - high defense on on unit with 75% physical resistance (stone skin) vs high defense on a peasant?

Thanks!

ender
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Defence and resitance are not corelated - both count for damage reduction.
More Resistance is better than more defense when is over 50% and near 95% (10% resitance from 65% to 75% is more important than from 0% to 10%).

vicheron
12-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Defense and resistance are correlated when you're dealing with enemy units but not spells. Red Dragons for example do fire damage, so if they attack a creature with fire resistance then that creature's defense and resistance are both counted.

Spells on the other hand, always bypass defense.

Zechnophobe
12-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Defense and resistence are multiplicative reductions. So your defense can reduce the damage you take by up to 67% (2/3rds) if you have 60 more defense then the target has attack. Resistence can further resist up to 95% of that damage. Meaning the least damage you can take = damage*.33*.05 = .0165, or 1.65% of the original damage. This is pretty rare (Black dragon vs sprites maybe).

It is important to note that the more resistance you have, the greater the value of each % of resistance. Going from 85% to 95% cuts damage down to a third. Going from 0% to 10% cuts it down by a tenth.

Without going into the Formula, here's a few points on defense:

If DEF is greater than ATK by:

15, you take two third of full damage
30, you take half of full damage
45, you take 40% of full damage
60, you take a third of full damage

If ATK is greater than DEF by:

15, you take 50% more damage
30, you take 100% more damage
45, you take 150% more damage
60, you take 200% more damage

In general, you want to get more DEFENSE on low level units (That start with low defense, and little resistance) and more RESISTANCE on high level units (that start with high defense, and some existing resistance).

bobking
12-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I think that makes sense. Especially the part concerning low level creatures. As I read that someone mentioned that Mage on Impossible needed high defense, but I managed no loss with Impossible Mage + Black Knights + Stone Skin + 11 defense to win. So, I couldn't figure out why anyone would invest in defense. I want to use the same strategy with Executioner but with the spell "Ressurection"+"God Armor" instead of Eviln on a Paladin, since timing is more critical on Eviln. Just a tip for anyone playing with "Eviln" - you can teleport your unit on it without losing the turn.... Does anyone know of any other gear that does -% leadership reduction for demons besides "Demetrius 1/2/3"?

Tiagop
12-15-2009, 01:13 AM
I think thats the only one that reduces leadership.

bobking
12-15-2009, 01:30 AM
never mind on the Executioner strategy...unless you have massive intelligent, you can only ress about 10-20 units at a time...Black Knights + Moro = greatest unit of them all??

vicheron
12-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Black Knights already have 30% physical resistance while Executioners only have 10% physical resistance. With stone skin, Black Knights get 70% physical resistance. You add in some physical resistance items and Black Knights become almost invulerable.

Elwin
12-15-2009, 08:16 AM
not really .. stil casters with magic damage can hurt them, never forget that ..

DGDobrev
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Exactly. Archmagi, Gorguanas, Evil Eyes, Beholders, Red/Black Dragons, and all kinds of units with fire/magic damage hurt them a lot. In such cases, some items that improve the resistances the black knights is weak against, works wonders.

bobking
12-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Previously on my mage, I got all the magic resistance gears so it works out great with the Black Knight. This time, the pally has the best two pieces of physical resistance. I want to beat the game (with no loss ofcourse) some other way beside BK, and I really like the idea of one unit army - much less micro managment. I played KB with just vampires with no loss, which was great fun. This time I love units with unlimited retaliation (BK, Griffins, Exec..), since they make the fights much shorterrrrrrr. As you can tell, I like efficient army...