PDA

View Full Version : The Judgment Day Paladin

DGDobrev
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Well, since the general opinion is that the Paladin hero does better as a warrior than as a mage, I decided to make a more caster oriented Paladin on Hard. It was a playthrough for fun, just to see what happens. To make matters more interesting, I set out straight away to hunt for items and units that can boost such strategy. Originally, I was thinking Goruanas, Tirexes, Archmagi, Paladins and Demonologists.

However, rather than finding such items and units, I found the black helmet, the Death amulet, the hand of necropolis and the Pain skull. That could only mean one thing - 2 undead-boosting sets can be completed (+2 morale from the Black helm + Splinter of darkness and +1 speed and Initiative from Death amulet+Hand of Necropolis+Dead Skull) - so I got Moro Dark, and freed him prom the Darkness ASAP. Just before he got his freedom, he provided me with 80 Black Knights. Then I used Meshmere to make even more from cannoneers.

This helped me focus the build right from the start (since when I go on a map kiting spree, I never distribute the runes straight away). I didn't spread out too much, and focused on Distortion + Chaos magic + Destruction, and now pushing toward Thesis and Absolute Balance to provide some more mana.

Suffice it to say, that paid off. Now on lvl 32, she is yet to improve, but she's almost ready. I have only 1 dress of the magess, but it is enough for now - as the following video will show.

Lvl 31 Paladin vs. Lvl 40 Fangol hero. Battle ends in about 4 minutes even with 1 stack of black knights. Losses - 0. Technically :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGmNH-8FFY

Watch in HD for better clarity :)

Metathron
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Muy impressivo! 8-) The thought of transforming my paladin into a destructive mage has never even been an option to me. To me, the paladin has always been a mini-warrior of sorts.

Akimbo
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Nice, what was the music on the video and how did you deal with taking losses with the Black Knights? (Sorry, can't watch the whole video yet, HD+Youtube just seems to hate my PC.)

DGDobrev
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
The first song is the credits theme from Red Alert 3, the second is the Aliied truimph theme from red alert 3 as well.

Being a paladin, you can recover 100% of the lost troop. I lost 101 Black Knights in that fight - which Amelie promptly resurrected - so no losses incurred whatsoever :)