PDA

View Full Version : How do you mod?

Zechnophobe
11-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Spamm has his sticky up top that allows you to add some .kfs files into a directory, which I was a little surprised to find were not actually a fancy name for a plain text file like in most mods.

So I have to ask, what exact process is used for modding? Is the .kfs an encrypted text file that just overwrites game data if detected? If so, how do you open, modify, etc?

Thanks!

Oh, I wanted to make a simple mod that shows at the bottom of the combat mouseover (When choosing a target to attack) the current crit chance of the strike, and the damage it will do if it hits.

City Builder
11-25-2009, 02:39 AM
I opened the kfs file with winrar, so it seems it's only a compressed file. Open up the camera mod and take a look inside of the kfs file and you'll find a txt file that has the mod code into it. At least it might give you an idea of the language used (simple text) to make things happen in mods.

Sortvind
11-25-2009, 03:02 AM
"crit chance of the strike, and the damage it will do if it hits"

Sounds very nice!

Zechnophobe
11-25-2009, 05:23 AM
Well, camera is different, there is lua scripting going on here however. Camera is no doubt just their own special syntax for setting that stuff up.

Hm, so looking at Spamm's UI mod, I am assuming these are overriding existing lua entries for the same functions, I just need to find the one called when you mouse over a unit during attack, and append another line...

But where the heck are the actual compressed or not lua files in here to compare against?

spamm
11-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Is the .kfs an encrypted text file that just overwrites game data if detected? If so, how do you open, modify, etc?

kfs - zip archiv.

Oh, I wanted to make a simple mod that shows at the bottom of the combat mouseover (When choosing a target to attack) the current crit chance of the strike, and the damage it will do if it hits.
Fail.
Crit depends on the abilities of both the attacker and the recipient.
There is no way to get this parametrs for recipient in "hint" function .
Without this - crit not be accurate.

Zechnophobe
11-25-2009, 08:33 AM
How often does recipient matter? As far as I know, paladin armor bearer is the only thing that does recipient dependant additional crit, right? At the VERY least you could get the attacker's current crit stat, and then the damage it would do, even if there are potential other things modifying it.