My current army is:

9 Paladins
5 Red Thorns
10 Mages
24 Inquisitors
30ish Repair driods
20 Guard Drones
22 GRiffins

Level 9 Paladin Hero..must say i've found this bloody hard going so far. Richard the tw*t killed 1 repair drone (no losses campaign ended) with fire arrow right at the end of the battle :evil:

Elwin
11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Richard the cruel is the most anoying hero i met so far .. i have been playing for over an hour redoing this battle to not lose anyone .. it was over 10 tries .. and he was weak to me ..

I use smialiar army

royals:
snakes, a lot on debir
griffins a lot easy to get on verona
thorns 4 on debir and more easily to get on umkas

paladins - debir/verona
droids - bolo
inquisitors - debir

DGDobrev
11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, here's my preferences:

My Warrior's Best party:

Paladins
Knights
Inquisitors
Archmagi
Demonologists
Reserve:
Any lvl 5 unit with over 700 health for sacrificing to replenish the demonologists or other troops I may need, except Black Dragons
Druids

Why?
Paladins + Knights are a wicked combo. Both are perfect tanks and are very hard to kill. Using Archmagi's ability Magic Shield will reduce the losses during the battle and will make the resurrecting a lot more easier. Inquisitors provide extra resurrecting and the Demonologists provide very powerful scapegoat units for the AI to prey on. The druids are both summoners and rage hoarders - their 9-cell attack may not be worth much damage, but provides a significant amount of rage. As for the lvl 5 unit, anything over 700 HP will do, because I can easily use lvl 1 sacrifice on it.

My Paladin's best army:
Paladins
Knights
Archmagi
Inquisitors
Priests
Reserve:
Demonologists
Druids

The Paladin has a medal that improves the damage of all paladins, inquisitors and priests by up to 40%. You should be aware that this is simply wondrous. As such, I consider those 3 units mandatory. While striving for this army, I usually take the resurrection skill ASAP and push it up to lvl 3 as soon as possible. With this army and resurrection lvl 3, I do not care about losses. The AI usually goes for the priests, and I don't mind at all if they die, as long as the only thing I'm losing is them. Archmagi, Demonologists, Druids same as the above.

My Mage's Perfect party:

Well, as a mage, you need to be flexible. My current mage on impossible is lvl 22, 80 battles, no losses so far. I had to use the thieving tactic to get all the way to Reha. I managed :)

Paladins
Knights
Archmagi
Chosha's
Tirexes
Reserve:
Inquisitors
Gorguanas

I set up this party in a manner which will allow me to be flexible all the time. Against fast armies that compose of strong creatures that will do decent damage, I use the tanks - mainly because my defense is relatively low, being a mage. Against ranged armies, I use Paladins, Tirexes, Gorguanas, Inquisitors and Archmagi. Against mixed armies, I decide according to the composition of the army.

So far I've cleaned up everything up to verona. We'll see where it will go next.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Neither of you fancy the Assassins (backstab) ability? i'm tempted to use them to be honest but I also have two level 5 trolls now so my game really starts now :)

DGDobrev
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
It's a one-time charm, unless you score a kill with them, in which case you can use this ability again. I used assassins for a while just to find them superfluous. They have some limited usefulness against dragons, but that's pretty much about it.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
It's a one-time charm, unless you score a kill with them, in which case you can use this ability again. I used assassins for a while just to find them superfluous. They have some limited usefulness against dragons, but that's pretty much about it.

Fair enough.

I'll add Trolls to the list. a lvl5 unit that regenerates every turn AWESOME!!!

DGDobrev
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
You should be aware that the troll does not always regenerate. This is the troll skin ability:

In the morning and during the day (meaning morning/daytime), the Troll's skin gets harder, giving him additional protection to physical and fire damage (30%).
In the caves/underground spots, in the evening and at night, the troll receives +1 speed and initiative and regenerates health.

Direwolf
11-23-2009, 08:24 PM
LOL...yes i had a rude surprise in my first day battle after recruiting trolls when they didn't regen.

But, on the whole i think they are an EXCELLENT tank. Give them stone skin and avenging angel and the fact that they can be healed and you are rdy to rock and roll.

cheers,
DW

Elwin
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I add demonologist to the list awesome unit

Urbz
11-23-2009, 08:55 PM

I really wanted to try them since they seemed like such cool units, and they are quite awesome especially since i got the assassin's dagger aswell, although sadly it seems backstab cant crit, i guess it would be too imba though.
I'm not sure they're ideal for impossible without losses though and will probably end up replacing them, but i really enjoy backstabbing stuff. :twisted:

Atm i use:
Inquisitors
Paladins ( only 11 though sofar :( )
Assassins ( using either paladins or assa's )
Archmages
Demonologists
Emerald Dragons ( first lvl5 units i found, and quite like them actually )

Reserve:
Cannoneers ( vs gremlin towers )

Direwolf
11-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have a screenshot of a Demonologist?

What island did you find them on?

What are their characteristics?

thx!
DW

DGDobrev
11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, the spawn places are random, but there have been demonologists on Bolo, Verona, Dersu, Shatterra and nameless in my games.

As for the unit, they can spawn various demons to help them. Their stats are (looking at the guide):

Race: Neutrals
Leadership: 210
Attack: 30
Defense: 25
Initiative: 6
Speed: 2
Crit: 12%
Damage (close combat): 9-10 phys
Damage (ranged): 12-14 fire
Damage vs. Demons: 18-21 magic
Health: 160
Resists: 25% fire, 25% magic

Shooting range: 4 squares

Zhuangzi
11-24-2009, 06:27 AM
For me the essential units are Royal Snakes (for striking without retaliation), Paladins (for resurrection) and Inquisitors (for rage and resurrection). Royal Griffins are very useful too, but maybe a little vulnerable for a tank. Royal Thorns are insanely useful but not against heroes or stacks with lots of archers in it. Red Dragons are great. Currently I'm only using those 6 units, but I would definitely replace something with Archmages if I could find any.

iankhadan
11-24-2009, 06:35 AM
For me the essential units are Royal Snakes (for striking without retaliation), Paladins (for resurrection) and Inquisitors (for rage and resurrection). Royal Griffins are very useful too, but maybe a little vulnerable for a tank. Royal Thorns are insanely useful but not against heroes or stacks with lots of archers in it. Red Dragons are great. Currently I'm only using those 6 units, but I would definitely replace something with Archmages if I could find any.

Word! I love Archmages, I got a lucky spawn early on the first island of 4 of them and I've been saving them in my reserves slot ever since. I can't find any more anywhere else!

iankhadan
11-24-2009, 06:36 AM
P.S. Where are these Paladins everyone's raving about, I haven't found them anywhere since the training battles!

chanw4
11-24-2009, 06:41 AM
P.S. Where are these Paladins everyone's raving about, I haven't found them anywhere since the training battles!

Verona and Rusty Anchor for me. Also limited supply in the temple of hope after completing the amulet quest.

Infiltrator
11-24-2009, 07:44 AM
For some reason I simply can't bring myself to use the human troops. They're too goody-two-shoes for me.

It's not just the aesthetics, they're just too.. tanky and slow. I prefer fast and hard hitting. Maybe because I always loved the warlock in the heroes series.

Mandea
11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
the paladin is different. it's a very very useful unit, no matter how far in the game you are. they don't move too much and they don't get to kill too much due to low speed, but they can be used as a support unit.

chanw4
11-24-2009, 08:07 AM
the paladin is different. it's a very very useful unit, no matter how far in the game you are. they don't move too much and they don't get to kill too much due to low speed, but they can be used as a support unit.

Indeed, paladin is more of a support unit with second wind and prayer. A great help on no loses battle.

Infiltrator
11-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I know, but they are probably best used for those who want no-losses. Myself I am playing with losses (although not many, I've already got the 3rd tactician medal and I'm level 12.

But if you want to play with no loss on higher difficulty I guess they are mandatory. They just don't suit my playstyle.

Elwin
11-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I really wanted to try them since they seemed like such cool units, and they are quite awesome especially since i got the assassin's dagger aswell, although sadly it seems backstab cant crit, i guess it would be too imba though.
I'm not sure they're ideal for impossible without losses though and will probably end up replacing them, but i really enjoy backstabbing stuff. :twisted:

Atm i use:
Inquisitors
Paladins ( only 11 though sofar :( )
Assassins ( using either paladins or assa's )
Archmages
Demonologists
Emerald Dragons ( first lvl5 units i found, and quite like them actually )

Reserve:
Cannoneers ( vs gremlin towers )

I found a few on Verona and a large stacks on namelesssa and shettera, this units have life drain skills ressig even demons and summoon demon spell which is great

screen as requested

DGDobrev
11-24-2009, 08:43 AM
On a side note, I though Archmagi were always suposed to spawn in the bell tower in Scarlet wind's graveyard. Anyone who wants archmagi, can try there. Other spawn places are the mage's tower in debir, the mage's tower in Elon, mage tower in verona and the temple near Demenion's castle on the town square with the mana fountain in Verona.

Direwolf
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Thx guys, I finally found some in my Paladin game.

They are sweet.

Zechnophobe
11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Um... Dryads? I haven't picked them up in AP, but they were literally the strongest unit for most battles in TL. Sleep a large number of units on the battlefield, phantom them perhaps for more, no retal on units they attack... they are like the omega unit of doom if used correctly.

Ah, my Anga's Ruby army: Sprites, Dryads, Fairies Demonesses and Evil beholders. Pounded the tar out of anything... except dragons. OH lord not dragons. But man, it was like easy mode everywhen else.

Urbz
11-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Um... Dryads? I haven't picked them up in AP, but they were literally the strongest unit for most battles in TL. Sleep a large number of units on the battlefield, phantom them perhaps for more, no retal on units they attack... they are like the omega unit of doom if used correctly.

Ah, my Anga's Ruby army: Sprites, Dryads, Fairies Demonesses and Evil beholders. Pounded the tar out of anything... except dragons. OH lord not dragons. But man, it was like easy mode everywhen else.

There's a set which buffs female units, should be well powerfull if you can manage to complete it. :grin:

garzahd
11-25-2009, 05:00 AM
My early game set, as a Warrior on Hard who is not particularly OCD about losses:

Royal Snakes
Inquisitors
Royal Thorns
Priests
Regular Snakes (due to finding the snake boots early)

After discovering Verona, troop availability broadened _significantly_ and I revamped to:

Royal Griffons
Inquisitors
Royal Thorns
Green Dragons
Assassins

By the time I was done with Bolo and working through Rusty, there weren't enough Royal Thorns around to keep up to leadership, so I swapped in Black Dragons discovered at Elon.

The Temple of Love was the first place in the game that I found Paladins, so I immediately benched the Inquisitors in favor of Paladins. This gives me the AOE rez that I need to take out those annoying geyser-spamming heroes I left behind in Rusty.

Currently clearing through Montero, and the Assassins are starting to feel like they're not pulling their full weight. I might bring back Inquisitors for a second source of rez.

Demonologists have been available, but not enough to fill the stack up to leadership.

Druids have been spotted in a couple places; they might be a nice unit to pick up, but I am not sure if their availability will support long-term use.

Archmages have been plentiful, but in KB:TL, I felt their DPS was lacking. Their utility spells seem less necessary in KB:AP, since I can use the dragon for telekinesis and I spam the Dive aoe anyway, and dragon tanks don't really require shield spells to be effective.

Dryads and other female units have been nowhere at all, not even Elon. From seeing the enemy stats, their damage has been nerfed about 20% (was 1-4 in KB:TL, now 1-3), but their default attack now has a 50% chance to put all the victim's special abilities on cooldown. That's a pretty nifty exchange. I've only found 1 piece of the female-buffing kit. Someday I will need to see how the full set fares, but not anytime soon.

Elwin
11-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Nah, sprites damage was never 1-4 ...
Question: where i can find plenty of Emerald dragons to recruit ?It was my favourite unit but i didnt met hem so far. And islands which i didnt visited yet are : uzala,elon,reha

DGDobrev
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Try Elon. There is a cave along the coast which should be full of them.

Urbz
11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Nah, sprites damage was never 1-4 ...
Question: where i can find plenty of Emerald dragons to recruit ?It was my favourite unit but i didnt met hem so far. And islands which i didnt visited yet are : uzala,elon,reha

I got them available twice already in 2 playthroughs in the Canal at the giant ( Lan Mandrago, cool reference to Wheel of Time btw. ;) )
Quite like the unit aswell, solid tank with some nice skills.

Elwin
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah as i magei love his mana draining ... gonna throw uot royal thorns since they are too troublesome

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, I must have missed the reply on the Dryads and i'm dissapointed to see the sleep effect last once, pity but fair I suppose. I just wasted a lot of money on then as I nly bought them for the sleep ability.

robertjan88
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Assassins? Just found 102 on Verona.

My current army is:

9 Paladins
5 Red Thorns
10 Mages
24 Inquisitors
30ish Repair driods
20 Guard Drones
22 GRiffins

Level 9 Paladin Hero..must say i've found this bloody hard going so far. Richard the tw*t killed 1 repair drone (no losses campaign ended) with fire arrow right at the end of the battle :evil:

I thought the limit was 5?? Only with spells you can get 1 unit more when in battle.

Elwin
11-28-2009, 01:26 PM
U can have 2 in reserves an use whatever unit you neeed, depend what your oponent is ..

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not to clear on why Tirexe's are so great. I took the inquisitors out of my army so that may be it. Yeh they have 1000 points but at lvl 30 something a tough stack can kill 1 unit easily. Do you have to be extra clever with these then? I could stick magic shield on them but then I would have to use Mages again and tbh I have changed my army a lot in the last 5 levels since I discovered all the really good units that have been mentioned before.

Tirexes jsut dont seem much better than Giants so far and Giants have an area damage ability which is very good actually.

I must be missing something here?

Elwin
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Gaint do not recover themselves when killing stack do not eat corpses to gully recover, and tirex also has aerial damge for rage gaining, and giant move 1 hex per round ..

DGDobrev
11-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, Tirexes are faster. However, I also like Giants better than Tirexes. However, if you go on map thieving spree, you may not find them on Tekron (Montero map is not available on other islands), while it's guaranteed to find Tirexes on Reha.

That certainty helps a little. Otherwise, Giants are great - 900 HP, no vulnerabilities (Tirexes have -10% fire), great damage, less leadership requirements, better base defense than Tirexes (important if you use them as tanks).

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, Tirexes are faster. However, I also like Giants better than Tirexes. However, if you go on map thieving spree, you may not find them on Tekron (Montero map is not available on other islands), while it's guaranteed to find Tirexes on Reha.

That certainty helps a little. Otherwise, Giants are great - 900 HP, no vulnerabilities (Tirexes have -10% fire), great damage, less leadership requirements, better base defense than Tirexes (important if you use them as tanks).

Mate! ha ha

Gorguanas and there ability to have attack after attack if they kill a troop! Happy days!!!

Stick holy mage on those little green beauties and in my last fight, they had 5 attacks in a row!!:-)

DGDobrev
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
THey are one of the best ranged units in my opinion. Way too many ways to utilize them - and mark of blood? Combine it with a decent level ball of lightning and phantom spell (to get multiple marks in a round) and you can drop a huge stack army in a few rounds.

Quite simple actually... Especially as a mage. Just ensure you have enough rage.
Gorguanas cast mark of blood on their biggest stack
Dragon summons ball of lightning close to it - if there are no other dangerous stacks, it will hit just that one.
Cast awaken dragon - 10 mana, so you have a second cast.
Cast lvl 1 phantom on the gorguanas (no need to waste mana for a tool)
Use their mark of blood on the second largest stack.
Dragon casts a second ball of lightning.

BB 2 big stacks :)

Zechnophobe
12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Just got my first full stack of dryads using the "Call of the Wind" wanderer scroll (No idea they'd give dryads!!!) and yes, they are still awesome even with just 1 turn of sleep. Since there are so many more ways to get mana in this game (Holy anger, transmute) and they summon things which helps with transmute a bit, you can still Dryad chain to pretty much take out an indefinite number of low level units.

In addition, because Fire and Poison are now percentage effects, you have a very common way to work down 'large' stacks of bad guys that just so happens to trigger right after the units turn is denied via Lullaby.

Between Ogre's stealing action points, and Dryads putting everyone to sleep... I think they are now the best two unit control combination.

Saridu
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I also just used call of the wind (to summon up some throw away troops) and recieved dryads. Even with only one turn of sleep those girls locked down that Goblin shaman nicely.

Tirexes also supposedly reduce all surrounding enemies defense by 30% (the tyrant ability) but I don't know if it's working... If it does they're level 5 killers. I use them as my second tank, Royal griffons as my lambs and the Tirexes to deal with anything that decides to go for my archers, like those pesky dragons and demon lords. Slap a stone skin on them and they chew through mobs. Of course max moral really does help :)

Elwin
12-07-2009, 11:11 PM
So i recomend black knights :P reffering to max crit thread ;)

Metathron
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Ah, I take it black knights + the shard thingy are to AP what Anga's Ruby + girl army were to TL.

Zechnophobe
12-08-2009, 12:30 AM
I also just used call of the wind (to summon up some throw away troops) and recieved dryads. Even with only one turn of sleep those girls locked down that Goblin shaman nicely.

Tirexes also supposedly reduce all surrounding enemies defense by 30% (the tyrant ability) but I don't know if it's working... If it does they're level 5 killers. I use them as my second tank, Royal griffons as my lambs and the Tirexes to deal with anything that decides to go for my archers, like those pesky dragons and demon lords. Slap a stone skin on them and they chew through mobs. Of course max moral really does help :)

Good Question about Tirexes actually. I keep meaning to test out if they actually decrease defense like they say they do, but keep forgetting. There doesn't appear to be any visual cue that they are working though.

Elwin
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Ah, I take it black knights + the shard thingy are to AP what Anga's Ruby + girl army were to TL.

You are wrong .. they dont need splinter for that. I didnt not have it and i state it wuold weaken them. Why you ask??
Since it increases their atacks but ... with warior frenzy you can cap their atack anyway and shard take regalia slot when you have mostly items like Marshals baton .. so less them - less damage.

For me the power is in their numbers and its black helmet + staff of acoltye necromancer giving their power. 35% more knights ;)

For a mage maybe it could help much, but my calcualtion for my warrior showed that it would make them weaker ;p

Zechnophobe
12-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Shard also gives unlimited retaliation, not just +10 attack. I think getting just one extra retal per turn makes up for a whole lot of leadership for more knights. How much leadership can you get from one regalia slot, anyway?

Elwin
12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Zechno: if you refer to the whole game it can help, but for bosses fight it wont change much :P. How much i can get?? Marshals baton is 1000leadership .. with flaming eyes even more .. and with items i leasted BK costs only 98LD so .. i can tell you that i got level up from 54 to 55 after ktahu fight which gave 500LD and i cuold get 16 more of them !!

fable
12-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Good Question about Tirexes actually. I keep meaning to test out if they actually decrease defense like they say they do, but keep forgetting. There doesn't appear to be any visual cue that they are working though.

It's really easy to test, have inquisitors cast holy anger on them and see their damage. I actually found it buggy, because if you run from a distance for attacking they don't do the debuff right away and only hit for whatever it was hinted, but if you move up first, both the hint will be higher and the actual damage. I only tried it once, I may be wrong.

Kings Bounty Hunter
12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm at lvl 9 on Verona and found two Black Dragons. Are they were spending 30 grand on though..

I will but, mid game onwards they aren't that great in my exoerience. I suppose they are the strongest unit in the game?

DGDobrev
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
They are :) The only real trouble with them is that you can't resurrect them.

Kings Bounty Hunter
12-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Seems that most will use a Mage, Inqusitor tank unit (green Dragon) and ? ?

I'd like people suggestion on the other two units :-P Paladin and Fairies at the moment for me.

Tiagop
12-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Deamons/executioners :)

Coin-coin le Canapin
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
They are :) The only real trouble with them is that you can't resurrect them.
Yeah.
The only way to heal them, I think, is the dancing axes skill of Shamans.
And I also think the only magic spell that affect them is Armageddon.

Am I right?

Elwin
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
and death star .. its sweet in ultrax

Zechnophobe
12-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Seems that most will use a Mage, Inqusitor tank unit (green Dragon) and ? ?

I'd like people suggestion on the other two units :-P Paladin and Fairies at the moment for me.

I don't think any ONE unit is mandatory for a party, but the different roles are:

Tank - Something with High health and defense, hopefully good resistances too. Best if rezzable, but not always necessary.

Control - A unit that can remove a problem stack from combat. Ogres, Dryads, Shamans, etc.

DPS - Unit that does a lot of damage, generally without giving the enemy the ability to retaliate. Supports the tank, tries not to ever take damage. (Vampires, Royal Snakes, Fairies, Archers, etc)

Summon - Units that can create summons to take blows, draw out retaliations, and null spells. (Dryads, Royal Thorns, Chosha's, Royal Griffons)

Healer - Unit to heal or ressurrect tanks and DPSers. Hopefully never is attacked directly

A lot of the best units will do multiples of these roles. For instance:

Demonologists: Summoner/Healer
Royal Griffon: Summoner/Tank
Paladin: Healer/Tank (Self rezzing tank!)
Dryad: Summoner/Control
Evil Beholder: Control/DPS
Dragons: Tank/DPS
Ogre: Tank/Control

It gives you a good idea for why they do what they do so well.

Goat
12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
In my current game I got a stack of Archdemons with a Call of Colossus and I have been loving them. They have one of the highest inititives in the game so you'll always go first. Their teleport ability means you can instantly engage any troublesome unit on the map or you can reach any chest on the map in one move. They are tough enough to avoid getting any loss on most occasions in early to mid game. Their 'halve' ability can really reduce an enemy stack quickly.

If you get these very early you can literally drop one in the middle of an enemy formation and sit watch the chaos without much danger of losing it.

In late game when enemy stacks are big enough to actually kill an archdemon with a counter attack, I hold their action to the last. This way I can target weakened enemies or ones that can't fight back. Since they get to go first every round, you can then move them back to safety next round and still have enough moves to reengage again.

Lord deSword
09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
LOL...yes i had a rude surprise in my first day battle after recruiting trolls when they didn't regen.

But, on the whole i think they are an EXCELLENT tank. Give them stone skin and avenging angel and the fact that they can be healed and you are rdy to rock and roll.

cheers,
DW

I think you mean "Rock and (T)roll" :twisted::twisted::twisted: