Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Default What kind of online play is this?

After spending too many hours to count playing the IL2 series on the pc, I was excited to hear it was coming to console. Needless to say I bought it the day it was released and was pleased with what I got. It seemed as though it hadn't really been dumbed down to much for console which is great and a refreshing change.
I then ventured online and after finally managing to get a game I was shocked at the whole experience. I was expecting the online play to be similar to the pc version. You pick a side and select an airfield on the map from which to take off from on (thats right TAKE OFF). You can then enter the battle from further away if you wish so can gain hight etc before getting into the combat. After getting some kills or running out of fuel/ammo you had to land (that's right LAND) in order to get your points.

As the game is now it's horrible online. Everyone spawns in at the same hight and all within sight of each other. Turn fights ensue and you get shot down but it doesn't matter because you can just spawn back in at the fixed altitude within a matter of seconds to repeat the whole process. Total arcade shit IMO. For me a flight sim has to have all the elements of flying within it in order to be a sim. No take offs and no landings just takes away from the whole experience. It's obvious that this game online is aimed at the severely casual gamer who just wants instant action, it reminds me of counter strike in the sky except I guess countersrike is a little more realistic in that you only have limited spawns

I used to really enjoy flying within the =353= fighter group online on the pc and competing in various leagues and was hoping for the same on the 360. Looks like I'll have to settle for what I've got

Rant over.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Play sim mode then?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Approved Member

no thanks to taking off and spending 20mins getting to altitude, I like dogfighting, not climbing for half an hour, that's boring
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

It would be nice for teams to take off and land to rearm/refuel/repair.
If you don't like instant action dogfighting you should try the more tactical (and better IMO) gametypes: Capture the Airstrip and Strike. Like Lex said, play it on Sim. Limit fuel and ammo. Up the respawn timer.
Just playing a deathmatch variant is missing out, host games and have more control over what happens.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

Have to agree with what you are saying, even though I wish it was otherwise.

The whole feeling of taking off, flying a combat mission and then returning to base was a big part of multiplayer for me, and the mid-air spawns don't have that level of immersion. Not to mention that when you kill someone most of the time they will respawn overhead with a brand new plane.

The map is also a pain in the neck for people who, like me, fly BnZ planes and use ambush tactics and now have to put up with the enemy being able to work out where you are coming from without even looking out of the cockpit.

The 16 player limit is restrictive, you won't get battles on the same scale as in Il2 1946. Not having aircraft customisation is unfortunate, but not a huge issue. However, the lack of Co-op is a big deal, playing Il2 1946 online I spend at least as much time in Co-op as in Versus, so this feels like I'm only getting half the experience.

I can put up with the lack of German cockpits because this has been explained by Anton, and the way the game has less plane functions is something that can't be avoided when you have only the number of buttons a controller has, but overall I'm just not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed (and still enjoy) Il2 1946.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
Have to agree with what you are saying, even though I wish it was otherwise.

The whole feeling of taking off, flying a combat mission and then returning to base was a big part of multiplayer for me, and the mid-air spawns don't have that level of immersion. Not to mention that when you kill someone most of the time they will respawn overhead with a brand new plane.

The map is also a pain in the neck for people who, like me, fly BnZ planes and use ambush tactics and now have to put up with the enemy being able to work out where you are coming from without even looking out of the cockpit.

The 16 player limit is restrictive, you won't get battles on the same scale as in Il2 1946. Not having aircraft customisation is unfortunate, but not a huge issue. However, the lack of Co-op is a big deal, playing Il2 1946 online I spend at least as much time in Co-op as in Versus, so this feels like I'm only getting half the experience.

I can put up with the lack of German cockpits because this has been explained by Anton, and the way the game has less plane functions is something that can't be avoided when you have only the number of buttons a controller has, but overall I'm just not enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed (and still enjoy) Il2 1946.
I agree as well. But for a console game, it doesn't seem to be able to be beat out of its top position?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro View Post
Play sim mode then?
I will as soon as the control mapping has been addressed, at the moment it's retarded having to hold the right stick in whilst you try to pan around the cockpit. The unrealistic enemy locations on the map will still be present though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
no thanks to taking off and spending 20mins getting to altitude, I like dogfighting, not climbing for half an hour, that's boring
Fair enough, that's your preference. I find it boring playing sky countersrike No wonder pretty much everyone takes the Spit MkIX online, as it's pointless trying a BnZ plane like the FW190 as you'll get shot up before you can attain a decent hight above the rest. If they insist on everyone all spawning in together, then why not adjust the hight at which you spawn depending on your aircraft choice? Choice is always a good thing to give the gamer.

Last edited by Soulsurfer; 09-17-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Ace View Post
I agree as well. But for a console game, it doesn't seem to be able to be beat out of its top position?
Well yeah, there really isn't anything even close to BoP on consoles, but when I have the choice of this or Il2 1946, its 1946 that wins my vote.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

I'd love to be able to fly into combats (preferabley taking off but just starting a bit further from the action would be good) or atleast pick my starting altitude.
From the point of view of playing Sim mode (which is all I want) I think you need to start that bit further away so you can get ready for the dogfight without instantly have 2 people on your tail.
Plus it'd give people time to set up into pairs and organise for team games.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Approved Member

how about the ability to land and RE-ARM.i hate runnin outa bullets then either waitin for someone to kill me or havin to end it myself