Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Approved Member

Default Difference spit mk IX and mk XVI?

hey guys!

I unlocked the spitfire mk XVI today... and I was wondering what the difference is between this one...and the mk IX..?

I really like flying the spit.. and for some reason I find the mk IX nicer to fly than the mk II.. but I cant figure out wich one of the other 2 I like most

The IX has 2 guns more.. but I dont really notice.. besides this.. what are the advantages of each mk? and disadvantages.. (tried wiki.. but doesnt have a lot of info on the mk XVI)

thnx for reading and hopefully helping
Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Approved Member

The MkXVI is just a version of the MkIX using an American built Packard Merlin engine instead of the original Rolls Royce Merlin, so the straight line performance should be very similar.

The Spitfire IX in this game has an armament of 2 20mm cannon and 4 .303cal MGs, with the standard wings and canopy.

However, the version of the MkXVI used here has some features that were introduced to both the MkIX and the MkXVI later in their production runs, which are the bubble canopy for improved visibility and a revised and more effective armament of 2 20mm cannon and 2 .50cal machine guns. The MkXVI version in the game also has the optional clipped wingtips as fitted to many late war Spitfires which give it an improved roll rate but increase the turning circle.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Approved Member

thank you very much for the good info and fast respondse!

you say the XVI has an increase in turning circle... is it really noticeable?

And do you have any idea if this official info you speak of.. is also valid in the game?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, the turning circle increase is noticeable, but its not a huge difference and the XVI will still out turn most of the other late war fighters easily, and the roll rate increase is useful because the Spit IX's roll rate is quite poor compared to fast rolling planes like the Fw190 and Yak-3. My personal preference is for the standard wings, but its more because I like the way they look than because of any real advantage

I'm not sure if all the info is valid in game, because I don't know if the MkXVI has the cockpit it should have or whether it as the MkIX's cockpit, like the Yak-3 has the Yak-1's cockpit, which would mean you wouldn't get the improved visibility you should be getting from the bubble canopy, but apart from that the rest should be valid, because the flight models are very detailed and authentic.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

Well in the video thats scrolls in the background the MkXVI has the bubble canopy.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro View Post
Well in the video thats scrolls in the background the MkXVI has the bubble canopy.
Yeah, I know it has the bubble canopy, but I think the interior of the cockpit is probably just taken from the MkIX, which doesn't have a bubble canopy. Its the same with the P51 borrowing the P47's cockpit, because if you look back when inside the P51 you will see a big armour plate that wouldn't be there if it was the proper cockpit.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
Yeah, I know it has the bubble canopy, but I think the interior of the cockpit is probably just taken from the MkIX, which doesn't have a bubble canopy. Its the same with the P51 borrowing the P47's cockpit, because if you look back when inside the P51 you will see a big armour plate that wouldn't be there if it was the proper cockpit.
I've got the MKXIV, and he has the propper cockpit, with nice view when you look back
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
I've got the MKXIV, and he has the propper cockpit, with nice view when you look back
That's good to know
Old 09-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Approved Member

Are you sure? Because from the outside, the Yak-3 looks like it has an original canopy, but from the cockpit view, it doesn't?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Approved Member

Just got my Mk16 tonight after plugging away all week. The cockpit is the Mk9 version from the inside, you can tell because of the rear glass panel arch above the seat. I must say though there is something a bit fishy about it.

The games hanger says it only has two 7.7 MG's & two 20mm cannons but the plane feels like it packs a bigger punch compared to the other spits. Im not sold on the lost turn circle for increased roll rate yet. However it is a bit easier to keep on a 109's tail, so thats a plus.