Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

Question Headshots?

I just remembered something from my Red Baron 3D days, if you were a good enough shot, you could pour some lead into your opponent's cockpit and would be occasionally rewarded with an instant kill as he let out a scream (the fact that you could even hear this is ridiculous, i know, but RB3D wasn't winning any accuracy awards in its stock form.)

I've never played the original IL-2, or really any other combat flight sims other than the aforementioned, since I do my gaming on a PS3 these days, but was killing the pilot possible in IL-2? Will it be possible in BoP?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta 6 View Post
I just remembered something from my Red Baron 3D days, if you were a good enough shot, you could pour some lead into your opponent's cockpit and would be occasionally rewarded with an instant kill as he let out a scream (the fact that you could even hear this is ridiculous, i know, but RB3D wasn't winning any accuracy awards in its stock form.)

I've never played the original IL-2, or really any other combat flight sims other than the aforementioned, since I do my gaming on a PS3 these days, but was killing the pilot possible in IL-2? Will it be possible in BoP?
It is possible to kill the pilot. I killed a Stuka pilot in the demo. There is no indication or 'headshot award' but when a more or less undamaged plane goes down (no smoke trail) in sim mode after one burst, it's clear that the pilot died.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Approved Member

I think it's possible in the demo. I've shot planes that just glided out of the air like the pilot was dead. I've also taken fire from tail gunners and suddenly went to the wide view saying I'd been shot down.

It would be nice if they made it more obvious that you've been shot.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

I figured that would be a yes, i wonder about multiplayer? probably the same.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I figured that would be a yes, i wonder about multiplayer? probably the same.
Multiplayer uses the same damage models like single player. In Arcade mode you are less likely to shoot a pilot as the auto aim directs your fire to the engines of the enemy plane.

Last edited by H Lecter; 08-14-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Lecter View Post
Multiplayer uses the same damage models like single player. In Arcade mode you are less likely to shoot a pilot as the auto aim directy your fire to the engines of the enemy plane.
Arcade mode. pfff. Who's going to bother with that?

Seriously though, thanks for answering.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Arcade mode. pfff. Who's going to bother with that?
Me not
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

PC il-2 had a different hit zone for the pilot's head, you could actually score a head-shot in it!
If you played in debug mode you'd get a bold HEADSHOT! message up the top if you scored one.
I don't know if the arms and legs were different hit zones aswell though.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

In the 360 demo I shot at a plane and it kept flying but the enemy marker disappeared, meaning the pilot was dead. it did keep flying in a very straight line though, so I fired a extra load of bullets to make shure

and the PC IL2 did have headshots and body dhots, if hit in the body the screen would go reddish, and if you got shot in the body multiple times or once in the head the screen would fade to black...
Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Does that game take me back. I think that was the first Dogfighting game I ever played. The first plane I flew on there was a Sopwith Pup against an Albatros DII?

And to answer your question, I don't think there is a head shot award but it is very possible to kill a pilot, from what I've experienced on the Demo. I was flying head on towards a Heinkel, fired several bursts into the front and the plane started to slowly drift towards the left, and was then followed by being put into a shallow dive. It was cool.