Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Default Demo appraisal from IL2 pc Player

Hello

quite a lot of developer interaction on this forum. looks good.

basically I was a devoted forgotten battles player for 3-4 years. However times are tight and money tighter, so eventually I retired my PC and got an 360.

i had the full setup, hotas stick, track IR etc. when i saw this game coming out i was amazed.

so, my opinion of the demo, for what its worth:

pretty good actually. In terms of fidelity to the flight model, seems excellent. in particular I notice comments about the p51. i dont think the cockpit is accurate, looks like a p47 cockpit.

however the flight model seems great. the p51's great strength was speed and high velocity turns. it was great at booming and zooming, but not turn fighting.

unlike a lot of planes it had excellent elevator authority even at high speed.

once we get the full game with FW 190 you will enjoy them, amazing roll rate and high speed turn, plus big guns.

i think the developers have done a great job of conveying the action of il2 and cutting down on the long stretches of boredom. plus its pretty hard to compress all the hundreds of control onto a pad.

one issue, and i know its only a demo is this; crashing and damage

think its been mentioned before, but one of the great joys of il2 was suffering random damage, like wrecked engines or ailerons etc.

and then trying to nurse your bird home. sometimes you would pull of a crash landing in bits but survive. it was totally random and really cool.

in this game it seems you impact with the ground you die. it ruins the immersion and one of the coolest aspects of il2. the cool crashes, the stress of a damaged plane. i think the demo would be better if this stuff was in

nevertheless, so far im excited. the main thing is the fact you can sit down, turn on your console and get straight into it. PC's lack that pick up and play and so far have had the only monopoly on complexity.

complexity and depth of damage, flight and combat models are good and can work on consoles.

sorry for long spam. but genuinely interested in this game

Last edited by DAZZA9806482; 08-06-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

I love you, basically i made an entire rant about it, and people had a go at me, I argree with you totally and people just do not understand that wrecking your bird home is really fun.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, in the PC games, if my plane gets badly damaged I will try to nurse it home, but here you will die if your plane is badly damaged even if you bring it down safely.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sod16 View Post
I love you, basically i made an entire rant about it, and people had a go at me, I argree with you totally and people just do not understand that wrecking your bird home is really fun.
Yeah, but it was a rant. I do agree with the point made, but there is no use whining. We can just give feedback and hope that it will be heard and have an impact on patches or sequels.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZA9806482 View Post
Hello

quite a lot of developer interaction on this forum. looks good.

basically I was a devoted forgotten battles player for 3-4 years. However times are tight and money tighter, so eventually I retired my PC and got an 360.

i had the full setup, hotas stick, track IR etc. when i saw this game coming out i was amazed.

so, my opinion of the demo, for what its worth:

pretty good actually. In terms of fidelity to the flight model, seems excellent. in particular I notice comments about the p51. i dont think the cockpit is accurate, looks like a p47 cockpit.

however the flight model seems great. the p51's great strength was speed and high velocity turns. it was great at booming and zooming, but not turn fighting.

unlike a lot of planes it had excellent elevator authority even at high speed.

once we get the full game with FW 190 you will enjoy them, amazing roll rate and high speed turn, plus big guns.

i think the developers have done a great job of conveying the action of il2 and cutting down on the long stretches of boredom. plus its pretty hard to compress all the hundreds of control onto a pad.

one issue, and i know its only a demo is this; crashing and damage

think its been mentioned before, but one of the great joys of il2 was suffering random damage, like wrecked engines or ailerons etc.

and then trying to nurse your bird home. sometimes you would pull of a crash landing in bits but survive. it was totally random and really cool.

in this game it seems you impact with the ground you die. it ruins the immersion and one of the coolest aspects of il2. the cool crashes, the stress of a damaged plane. i think the demo would be better if this stuff was in

nevertheless, so far im excited. the main thing is the fact you can sit down, turn on your console and get straight into it. PC's lack that pick up and play and so far have had the only monopoly on complexity.

complexity and depth of damage, flight and combat models are good and can work on consoles.

sorry for long spam. but genuinely interested in this game

100% agreed .. let's hope for more in a sequel.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

you think the damage can be improved in patch? if the damage model is already there i dont see why not.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Glad you like it Dazza I too am a PC IL-2 veteran and plaving the Demo on the 360 blew me away, so much so that I pre-ordered it and bought myself the saitek avaitor flight stick to go with it
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

maxqubit-I'm really looking forward to Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising too. Looks like it has the potential to be the best shooter on the consoles.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulpzillA View Post
you think the damage can be improved in patch? if the damage model is already there i dont see why not.
Small things can be improved in patches, like a missing sound e.g.. A new damage model would be something for a sequel I could imagine.