Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Default XBOX 360 Aviator Questions

Just a few questions.

What's the overall build quality like?

How does the look work? is it digital? how does it feel?

Hows the dead zone?

Can anyone here that owns the stick record some footage of them flying and looking around. Would be great to see it in action.

Many thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

I'm curious about the button layout on the aviator flightstick. Also does the analog "thumb stick" on top of the flightstick control view or is it the D-Pad? I want to buy one after work today but want to make sure it's good for the game.

thanks in advance,
Rev
Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

the thumb stick controls view, there is a separate D pad on the base of the stick.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Approved Member

I just bought the Aviator, only used it for 3 hours, so I may change my opinions, but so far:
pro:
  • not too expencive
  • I think the build quality is good.
  • buttons feel nice.
  • the point-of-view hat at the top is very good I think
  • does not take up alot of space on ur desk

con:
  • the base is quite light so you'll need to hold it down when bending the stick.
  • the stick has too much resistance in my opinion, I get tired in the arm from using it.
  • there is a deadzone that make it hard to fine-tune aim. In Il-2 PC I find that even the tiny movement of my old Sidewinder is picking up properly, but not so much in BoP with Aviator. You may learn to compensate for this, not a huge problem.
  • the buttons on the front are ok to use, but you have move you left hand quite a bit between throttle and front buttons (unless u got HUGE hands)
  • you may find it awkward if you want(you should) to hold your thumb at the POV at all time and it hurts after som time.
  • where the hell is the A button? it seems that the aviator-trigger is RT (guns) in BoP but on the Aviator the trigger is marked as A. you are in BoP supposed to use A for adjusting Trim, but with the Aviator there is no A? or did I miss something?
  • hrrrr...My arm hurts quite a bit, still
overall: 6.5/10
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Approved Member

Doesn't the Aviator have a switch to change configurations. I don't have one so I'm not completely sure if it'll fix your "A" Button/Trigger issue or not.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturat View Post
[LIST[*]where the hell is the A button? it seems that the aviator-trigger is RT (guns) in BoP but on the Aviator the trigger is marked as A. you are in BoP supposed to use A for adjusting Trim, but with the Aviator there is no A? or did I miss something?[/LIST]

BoP only shows us the controller layout for a standard controller, which is a different layout than the game uses with a flight stick.

The trigger is indeed the A button though.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

I found this PDF from Saitek that shows the layout for mode 2 on the stick. It would solve the A button problem but I'm afrais it will switch view control to the smaller stick on the front of the base.

http://www.saitek.com/manuals/Aviato...20and%20PC.pdf
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Approved Member

What's the overall build quality like? Its good, good quality

How does the look work? is it digital? how does it feel? The look works great like you are using a 360 thumbstick, however it is a little to sensitive...maybe there is a way to turn the sensitivity down.

Hows the dead zone? The deadzone is small, but that small amount messes with you when you are trying to fine tune a shot...however, i think with practice you will be able to compensate for it....For the record, the deadzone is nowhere near as bad as the ace flight stick is with ace combat!

Can anyone here that owns the stick record some footage of them flying and looking around. Would be great to see it in action. Im to lazy and for fourty bucks you are too cheap, lol. Just buy the dang things is well worth the $40.....I spent over $450 for my cpus CH setup so dont sweat a $40 investment!

Many thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

actually I may return the aviator for a refund. its the bloody deadzone. it super-hard to line up for a shot at the ground targets 'Tiger hunting'. I tried with the gamepad instead and its much more sensitive to small adjustmenst.
tho with the gamepad you loose the nifty POV and throttle
Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturat View Post
actually I may return the aviator for a refund. its the bloody deadzone. it super-hard to line up for a shot at the ground targets 'Tiger hunting'. I tried with the gamepad instead and its much more sensitive to small adjustmenst.
tho with the gamepad you loose the nifty POV and throttle
ace edge brah