Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Approved Member

Default Anton now that you released the video showing off the arcade mode

You need to show the mode that people will actually be buying the game for which is the sim mode.

PLEASE focus a full video on the features of the advanced flight model , because all im seeing in feedback forums (not this one) is

"why isnt this on pc?"
"lol its dumbed down"
"wtf? arcade mode"

Please anton show of the REAL IL2 birds of prey , nobody watching these videos is interested in developers treating them like dumbasses
Old 06-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Approved Member

You've got a good point there. All the demonstration videos i have seen always end up with the person quickly switching to 3rd person view and flying around like a chump.

If there was an award for bad marketing this game would surely get the gold medal.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Approved Member

Guys, do you want this game to succeed or to fail?

The success of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey rests on the novice, arcade, "console gamer" (if you will), not us flight sim fanatics. There are far too few of us as it is. They are trying to make this game appealing to your average Halo, Gears of War, Burnout Paradise kind of guy. Its very important.

Don't worry - buy the sounds of things we will get our cake and be able to eat it.

Patience
Old 06-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
You've got a good point there. All the demonstration videos i have seen always end up with the person quickly switching to 3rd person view and flying around like a chump.

If there was an award for bad marketing this game would surely get the gold medal.
exactly , if people wanted to play an arcade flying game they would buy blazing angles

and studies show.......
that they didnt

thus they need to spend time on the simulation aspect
Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Agreed. This is quite frustrating.. Even though I understand publishers choose to go closer to average console player, it's much bigger group than us who wants real simulators and more money will come from there. But still this game needs much more publicity.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Approved Member

We already KNOW that the game has a simulation aspect, we know that it's hardcore, most of us decided that we were going to buy this game a long time ago.

It's the general audience that doesn't know about it, that needs to know what it is.

Are you not going to buy the game because we didn't get enough trailers showing off the simulation mode? If not, then your complaints don't have much of a point.

And people will ALWAYS be complaining on internet forums. That's basically all that ever happens on forums, especially videogame related ones. It doesn't mean anything. There isn't a single game or developer out there that hasn't been bitched at pointlessly a billion times on internet forums.

The hardcore flight sim niche isn't enough to support a successful game by itself, this is why there are so few flight sims out there. They need to market it to the general public.

The least we can do is have an attention span longer than the average 12 year old. If we're so sophisticated and elitist, we can at least wait a bit longer, can't we?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

The point is that we've seen about a dozen vids about the game and they've all been arcade mode and 99% 3rd person view. I want to see them put someone behind the flight stick that knows how to lay down the smack in a warplane and actually tell everyone "look at us! hear us roar!" as the guy downs a few planes in a huge furball in cockpit view.

So in review. Get a good pilot, give him a flight stick and unleash him in a 8 v 8 or something dogfight. I want to see him tracking targets and watching the view move in the cockpit and *** blowing up. And if he gets shot down then WOOT it wont be a pushover game. And watch him bail out at the end LOL. 2 minutes of that should open some eyes and shut the rest of us up
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Approved Member

They need to blend the two modes together in their marketing.

The way to do it , is to start with showing the arcade mode in all its fun and 3rd person glory like we are seeing, but then they need to explain that after you master the arcade mode you can step it up and find out what it was really like as a fighter pilot in WWII with simulation mode.

They need to sell the sim mode as a replay value factor.
And show in cockpit video where your blacking out from pulling G's (sim mode)!

People will lose it when they see that much depth to the game.

One thing I know for sure, is that console gamers get into their games, and most of them play a game on every difficulty setting so they can get all the game's achievments. Plus if there is a fresh and new gameplay experince waiting on them while getting those harder achievments, then that draws them more into the depth of the game and its gameplay.

Honestly, I really am not a big fan of the word "Sim" any more. I feel like it scares a lot of people away. I personally love the "SIM" style gameplay. but I think that it needs a new name instead of simulation.

If I was involved in marketing this game I would have never even used the name "simulation mode" . I may have called it that in the instuction manual, but on the back of the box, or in comercials/trailers, I would have marketed it as "hard core mode".
Now I would have made a point of telling people in the "flight sim fanbase" that "hard core mode" is really simulation mode, but for marketing purposes I wouldn't use the word simulation.

This is kind of a example.
Look at all the people on console that play COD(call of duty) and a lot of people play hard core mode.

When cod 4 came out, almost no one played Hard core mode, but now it has grown to have a huge following. Its pretty much Cod's sim mode.
Its Activision's way of making COD a more ,sim style FPS, because 2 hits you dead,if you team kill 2 people your kicked. Its a very brutal and unforgiving mode of gameplay compared to the normal mode.

If you go and buy the Pc version of the game, Its all Hard core mode. There is no other modes on the pc like there is on console. Also pc doesn't call it Hard core mode.

Activision's marketing people understood that they couldn't just take the gameplay from the pc and give it to console. If they did, the majority of people on console wouldn't get into it because it was to brutal and unforgiving for casual gamers. (just like simulation games)

They then took the pc gameplay and made it its own seperate mode on the console versions. They added achievements that you can only get from playing "hard core mode" and in turn that mode picked up a huge following.

Marketing brilliance !

These are the kinds of things they need to do with the marketing of BOP.

PS, 1C, If you are every hiring in the marketing department, send me a PM !

DESODE
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchochias View Post
We already KNOW that the game has a simulation aspect, we know that it's hardcore, most of us decided that we were going to buy this game a long time ago.

It's the general audience that doesn't know about it, that needs to know what it is.

Are you not going to buy the game because we didn't get enough trailers showing off the simulation mode? If not, then your complaints don't have much of a point.

And people will ALWAYS be complaining on internet forums. That's basically all that ever happens on forums, especially videogame related ones. It doesn't mean anything. There isn't a single game or developer out there that hasn't been bitched at pointlessly a billion times on internet forums.

The hardcore flight sim niche isn't enough to support a successful game by itself, this is why there are so few flight sims out there. They need to market it to the general public.

The least we can do is have an attention span longer than the average 12 year old. If we're so sophisticated and elitist, we can at least wait a bit longer, can't we?

You absolutely right. For a game works, it must reach the curiosity of the players by showing them a fun and simple game. Because a lot of people like arcade mode (proof with HAWX and Ace Combat)

But I think a video on the simulation mode would also be profitable.
We are a about a twenty to speak regularly on the forum jeuxvideo.com Nobody complained that this game will be too hard. For against, many people remain hostile to the game because they will believe this game will be like HAWX or Blazing Angel.
If there are people on the forum and those who have posted a comment on the videos in jeuxvideo.com (72 comments in total on the last video), there is a roughly fifteen players who will not buy this game, because they claim that a simulation game will never exist, they believe they are dealing with a Blazing Angel 3.

I think 1 video could change all that. The best would be to make a video in two parts with gameplay of the arcade mode in the first 2 minutes, and gameplay of the simulation mode in the final minutes. So people who just discovered the game and who search arcade will see that there will be two modes in the game with the arcade mode. In the same time, it will convince the players that seeks the simulation and were not attracted by the game before.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by Stanrosquain; 06-30-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Can we assume that Simulation mode still exists?

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been eagerly following this game and reading this forum since the beginning. I have a question about the number of difficulty modes in the game.

I know that Anton has previously stated that there would be three difficulty modes: Arcade, Realistic, and Simulation. Now, after 1C's preview of the game, both 1up and Gamespot have mentioned in their previews that there are only two difficulty modes: Arcade and Realistic.

So, I'm wondering, what happened to Simulation mode?