Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

Default achievement wishlist

Ace of aces

Achieve 353 aerial victories online (shoot down 353 planes)
Old 06-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

haha nice one

hmmm...

'Mr. Glass"

Shoot the pilot of an He-111
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Approved Member

Who was the ace who had 353 air victories? I know there were several German aces who had over 300 victories, but I can't remember who had 353.

Now the achievement should be for the most hardcore, get 353 air victories in multiplayer against other people without ever getting shot down once. THEN it would be like the real ace haha.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchochias View Post
Who was the ace who had 353 air victories? I know there were several German aces who had over 300 victories, but I can't remember who had 353.

Now the achievement should be for the most hardcore, get 353 air victories in multiplayer against other people without ever getting shot down once. THEN it would be like the real ace haha.

eric hartmann
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, Hartmann had 352, 353 would put you above him, making you the ace of aces.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

Only if you do it without getting shot down haha.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Approved Member

That is, if you believe he actually had anywhere near that many victories. I'm sure we all know the German air forces in WW2 were notorious for stretching the truth. Even more so once the Allies turned the tide.

Did he fly in WW1 as well? It would be more believable then.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball View Post
That is, if you believe he actually had anywhere near that many victories. I'm sure we all know the German air forces in WW2 were notorious for stretching the truth. Even more so once the Allies turned the tide.

Did he fly in WW1 as well? It would be more believable then.
ALL air forces are notorious for stretching the truth haha. That's why they had such stringent requirements on confirmed kills: several other pilots usually had to confirm them, I believe.

It was counted only as a "probable" or something less than a kill if you were the only pilot to have seen it.

And exaggeration or not, the Germans did have far, far more high scoring aces than the western or eastern allies.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Approved Member

All it took was one other person for confrimation.

It's true most all pilots told a few lies here and there, but that was only to inflate their personal records. The German government did it as a form of propaganda.

Last edited by Riceball; 06-25-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Approved Member

Talking

People have tried to debunk his victory count, but Russian losses match up to his aerial victories. From what I've read, Luftwaffe records are substantially more accurate than British and American victory counts. Hartmann also wasn't a dogfighter, he'd sneak in until he was about 50-100 feet behind the other aircraft and blast them down. He had strict rules of engagement to maximize the effect of his surprise attacks. In a dogfight, more often than not one aircraft or the other would break off from the engagement, and I can imagine it's hard to rack up a high kill count when you've only done a bit of damage to the other aircraft. He had a great tactical sense, and it wasn't like he was shooting down a bunch of rookies, either. The Russian pilots towards the end of the war were very well trained, more so than what the Luftwaffe was cranking out at the same period (new German pilots had as little as 30 hours before jumping into combat in 1945). All in all, I think we can at least agree he was highly-skilled at what he did.