Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Technical problems and solutions

Technical problems and solutions Questions and solutions

Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

Default Patch confusion, should I have one?

I'm in the US and have the DVD version of King's Bounty. I'm at work now, but I think my game version is 1.6b7. Is there a patch with a more recent version that I should get? I've seen a lot of different versions mentioned on this site, so it is hard for me to know. Also, when I check the official sites, I don't even see any patch downloads available. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

I have the same version and it works fine.

I did have the mirabella crash but there is a mod fix available on these forums.

Finishing the dwarven lands now.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixreborn View Post
I have the same version and it works fine.

I did have the mirabella crash but there is a mod fix available on these forums.

Finishing the dwarven lands now.
Thanks, I guess I'll check back on these boards if any problems arise. I'm not as far along as you, but so far no problems..
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

There should be a patch but atari has not yet released it that will update the game to 1.6.4 or 1.6.5. There are a few annoying (or very annoying depending on your view) in this version including:
mirabella crash (there is a mod to fix this)
elven wife not having kids
random crashes (I had quite a few in the grey wasteland/elven area)
some item fixes (something about morale updates)
some format errors (text boxes that are too long for the window because text was not properly line wrapped)
other
-
I finished the game (had 99 completed quests - i wonder how many there are) and it was enjoyable but I will wait for the patch before playing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggly Pete View Post
I'm in the US and have the DVD version of King's Bounty. I'm at work now, but I think my game version is 1.6b7. Is there a patch with a more recent version that I should get? I've seen a lot of different versions mentioned on this site, so it is hard for me to know. Also, when I check the official sites, I don't even see any patch downloads available. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
There should be a patch but atari has not yet released it that will update the game to 1.6.4 or 1.6.5.
I guess my confusion comes from the fact that I don't understand the patch numbering system. To me, 1.6.4 or 1.6.5 just doesn't seem like it should be an update for 1.6b7. I would think the update would be called something like 1.6b8 or 1.7.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

think of it this way:

1.6b7 is like "1.6.0 b7". So it is earlier than "1.6.4" or "1.6.5".

Here is the breakdown of versions as I know it (I don't have the build numbers handy sorry):

Russian version: 1.6.4 - no DRM
GamersGate US version: 1.6.5 (download is 1.6.4 but they also have a patch to make it 1.6.5) - has GamersGate DRM attached
Atari US Download: 1.6b7 - has Atari digital DRM attached
Atari US DVD: 1.6b7 - has Atari DVD DRM attached

Another thing about the 1.6b7 version is it is missing some things that the interface mod needs and so the interface mod has less features for this version.

It is unclear why Atari couldn't even release the "current" 1.6.4 version when the game was released. Pretty crappy of them if you ask me. Atari has also been given the (presumably 1.6.5) patch by 1c several weeks ago. It is unclear when or if they will release it.

It has also been reported in another thread that the Russian 1.6.4 patch works just fine with the Atari 1.6b7 version of the game. If you care to try, just find the thread and give it a shot. Worst that happens is you have to re-install the game.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman654 View Post
think of it this way:

1.6b7 is like "1.6.0 b7". So it is earlier than "1.6.4" or "1.6.5".

Here is the breakdown of versions as I know it (I don't have the build numbers handy sorry):

Russian version: 1.6.4 - no DRM
GamersGate US version: 1.6.5 (download is 1.6.4 but they also have a patch to make it 1.6.5) - has GamersGate DRM attached
Atari US Download: 1.6b7 - has Atari digital DRM attached
Atari US DVD: 1.6b7 - has Atari DVD DRM attached

Another thing about the 1.6b7 version is it is missing some things that the interface mod needs and so the interface mod has less features for this version.

It is unclear why Atari couldn't even release the "current" 1.6.4 version when the game was released. Pretty crappy of them if you ask me. Atari has also been given the (presumably 1.6.5) patch by 1c several weeks ago. It is unclear when or if they will release it.

It has also been reported in another thread that the Russian 1.6.4 patch works just fine with the Atari 1.6b7 version of the game. If you care to try, just find the thread and give it a shot. Worst that happens is you have to re-install the game.
Thanks for the info--that clears up the confusion. I think at this point I'll wait and see if Atari releases the official 1.6.5 patch for US customers--I haven't had any problems with the game yet and I'd hate to mess things up with the Russian 1.6.4 patch. Just wondering, can I keep my save games from 1.6b7 before I use the Russian patch and then if the patch doesn't work, can I use the saves again after I reinstall 1.6b7?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Approved Member

You can copy the saves folder (mine is in the kb directory but yours might be in my documents) and it will work if you reinstall the same version you have now.

I do not know if it would work with the russian patched version but my guess is yes. Decide now before you play on because it's a long game.

Mirabella fix is here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4386
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Using the normal version you get with the DVD version here in the US, the only real problems, which i find to be very minor, are a couple crashes while playing in the elven area. I hadnt crashed before, but i think like twice so far ive had in elven land (damn elves ). Everything else has either been far to minor (text issues) or capable of being fixed (mirabella crash).
Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

I started the game while it was still 1.6b7 and after the first continent patched it with the Russian 1.6.4 patch and I can confirm that the saves work just fine. Haven't had any problems