Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Default Totally confused!!!!

Can ANYONE help me understand how to set up the controls for joystick inputs in Cliff of Dover?!!!

I can only assume I am WAY out of my element with this "particular" game. And right now, it's frustrating me so bad that I'm ready to throw the CD in the trash!

I'm having issues with about "half" of my joystick input settings working, while the other half do not seem to take effect, although each time I return the control menu in the game, the settings are still there?!

As example: The pan view works fine on the top of my joystick, while the input for ailerons, elevator, and rudder will not work, except from the keyboard!! Strange enough - the freaking input for the throttle on the joystick works?!

The joystick is a Sidewinder Precision 2, which is evidently "recognized" by the game, as it allows me to make inputs to the game using the joystick and apply them. Yet, half of them are not working, once I return to the game!

This game REALLY needs to come with some kind of instruction manual like all other flight sims, but I guess since this thing is only online, it must not come with any instructions leaving us to our own best guess!

ANY help would be most greatly appreciated!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

pay attention to the joystick device on which the axes are mapped.

by default, some strange mapping to secondary joystick devices might be in place, so you'd better re-map them all to the first one (or whichever your real joystick is).
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Also, make sure that you turn of the "antropomorphic controls" in the realism-menu. This option is buggy and can supress input.

(in german it´s called "anthropomorphische Steuerung". Unfortunately, I don´t know the exact english name...)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Approved Member

Calm, is easy:

http://www.justflight.com/supportfaq...-of-dover#FAQ2

After set all properly, just in case... make a copy of file ConfUser.ini
located in

...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover (or -MOD if use TF patch - that is very advisable).

For me CLoD™ controls GUI is the more flexible that I see in sim game (is not perfect - lack some things - but a step ahead of "1946" GUI.

Sokol1
"...we did Co-ops every week. I used to read all the complaints on bananarama how coops was impossible and then I'd go and have a great squad night flying coops....couldn't figure out what they were complaining about. "
Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Well, I FINALLY managed to get this game to recognize my joystick inputs!

So, I tried a "first solo" flight. I could taxi without much problem at all. However - when it came to taking off - that was another matter ENTIRELY!!! Even during a take off in the training section!!

I could NOT get the aircraft to leave the ground using the joystick commands! It just simply ran down the runway, then off the runway, and then through the trees (like they weren't even there) and only stopped when the aircraft nosed into the ground. Even then, the engine kept running as if there was nothing wrong! The ONLY way I could get the game to stop was to hit the "Esc." button.

So I tried going into the realism settings and setting this thing up on "EASY" thinking that my flight skills weren't quite sharp enough just yet. By doing this, it "again" changed my HAT settings on the joystick, and made them basically unusable - except through the number pad on the keyboard?! WTH?! As for the flight itself - SAME THING?! I could just barley get the aircraft airborne, with a nose high attitude with the aircraft just barely off the runway! Even holding the joystick ALL the way back it just seemed to stay in that attitude and never gain any more altitude! And that was pretty much it.

So I tried a quick mission - where I start already in flight. I could NOT get the aircraft to fly straight and level - PERIOD - even with the realism set to "EASY"!

I've noticed 3 slider bars to the bottom left of the axis window in the controls settings for the joystick and wonder if this could have anything to do with my issues? I played with them a bit, thinking this might help, but so far, I cannot see where it has helped in the least!

Can ANYONE offer any suggestions or help - PLEASE?!

Last edited by BlueMax4195; 10-18-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

I've seen such behavior, though not in IL2, but in some other games, when a controller was active and that game was somehow receiving input from the controller's stick (for example in Skyrim with my joystick plugged in, Skyrim would continuously receive an UP command from the Joystick, making the use of keyboard/mouse to navigate through the menu's unusable.

so, it might be either one of the following:
1) you have different game axes/commands mapped to the same joystick axe (for example both up and down mapped on the same joystick up axis), or different commands mapped to some joystik axes without you being aware of any of these (like throttle down on mapped on the joystick up axis, etc) -> reset your configuration to default, then browse through the controls, and check that ALL commands mapped to any joystick axes is mapped correctly
2) you have an additional controller active (like a gamepad or something), and that is providing input without you being aware of it -> disable/unplug all the other controllers you have (gamepads, trackballs, etc)
3) your joystick might be broken -> check everything's all right with it in device's Properties panel

have fun