Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Approved Member

Default Best ways to recognize if friendly or enemy aircraft

Hi guys! I was wondering how the other players do recognize/understand if the small black dot in front at their 12 o ò'clock is an enemy or a frienldy aircraft..
Too many times I folow hard a plane to bring myself near enough to see the markings or the flag...
How do you do that?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Approved Member

The color of the tracers helps... or icons.. The icons in this sim can be set in many ways.. You can turn them off on the map altogether which I prefer.. and you can also fly in the pit which will eliminate trhe arrows around the screen.. and you can set your icons so that certain parts of them appear at certain distances or not at all.. If all you want to see is the plane type .. you can set that .. if you want different settings for friendlies and enemies or one side or the other exclusively you can also do that. It will also come with experience.. Like real life in this sim there is a certain point at which identification will be impossible .. but those distances are not the same and are determined by different factors not the least of which is the capabilities of one;'s hardware and the graphics settings.. at certain distances there are distinct differences in shapes..
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

I don't use any icon while flying online, i just see the planes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

Colour of the aircraft can help eg green/black pale blue underside = Soviet.
<a href=http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366190 target=_blank>http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366  190 Salute Jim (Blairgowrie) http://dangerdogz.com
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack View Post
I don't use any icon while flying online, i just see the planes
Fair enough.. I need assistance.. my eyes are in a state of flux right now..
Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Approved Member

As said, colors help. A grey/yellow mishmash of pixels is most likely a Bf109. Dots are not to divert. But very farest LoDs can tell you already a bit. I.e. If it could be a bomber or a fighter (size). Some very old models tend to be quite fat in their farest LoDs, I.e. Bf109s and La5s.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible

Last edited by EJGr.Ost_Caspar; 07-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Behaviour combined with location on the map are often good indicators online, maybe offline too. Planes usually fly high and fast over enemy territory, lower and slower (taking off and landing) when they feel safe over their own land. If you see a plane arriving high from the direction of the enemy base, or running away low towards an enemy base, then it's almost certainly an enemy. Online, they usually won't let you chase them in a straight line deep into your turf, they will want to turn back towards help.

Specific plane types are often flown in a specific way too: 109's boom and zoom with a very steep climb at the end, 190s boom and zoom in more shallow angles, Spitfires and Zeros do impressively fast horizontal turns.

It's hardest to identify a plane if you're just chasing a lonely dot along the front-line.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
What the heck...?

It's always been difficult to ID planes from a distance, and this is correct; it's supposed to be that way.

The answer to the question is simple: get close enough so that subtle, distinguishable details start to appear, and then you can tell what it is.

Last edited by Treetop64; 07-03-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Ugly grammar was ugly
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

First time I flew on line I got an easy kill, & I thought this isn't too difficult, should be able to rack up a few kills.

Trouble was it was one of my own team

You need to be able to recognose aircraft from a mutitiude of angles by the shape, which isn't always easy. Markings do help, but depending on angle & light, they aren't always readily identifiable.

I've not flown on line for a while, prefering single missions. This is because the person I shot down hunted me down & got me in return.

Last edited by Fergal69; 07-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Approved Member

Consider the 'dot' to be unfriendly and take appropriate action until you are sure of its ID.