Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Approved Member

Default Channel Map Comparisons

Just been flying around in the ROF Channel Map and (as is only natural) comparing it with Cliffs of Dover.
Both have got good points and issues.

On my first quick mission I was amazingly underwhelmed. The Major draw card for this expansion is the new water – this turned out to be a setting issue. If you would like to see some waves and any interaction between the water and the land you need to set the wind speed above 2m/s (you will also by the way be setting it too high to land any of the float planes on the water)

My second flight (with waves) game me a much better impression.
Frame rates using FRAPS to record was interesting. ROF was sitting about the 16fps mark and COD was capped at 30. (on my PC)

I got gigabytes of FRAPS footage on my hard drive from both sims so I'll go through them and see if I can edit a few short videos for comparison. (Not very good with this so please bear with me)

If anyone else has been playing around with the new map please feel free to post and share your views/pic’s/vids.

Also if anyones got any stuff from the IL2-46 channel map mod please contribute.

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 12-25-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Just been flying around in the ROF Channel Map and (as is only natural) comparing it with Cliffs of Dover.
Both have got good points and issues.

On my first quick mission I was amazingly underwhelmed. The Major draw card for this expansion is the new water – this turned out to be a setting issue. If you would like to see some waves and any interaction between the water and the land you need to set the wind speed above 2m/s (you will also by the way be setting it too high to land any of the float planes on the water)

My second flight (with waves) game me a much better impression.
Frame rates using FRAPS to record was interesting. ROF was sitting about the 16fps mark and COD was capped at 30. (on my PC)

I got gigabytes of FRAPS footage on my hard drive from both sims so I'll go through them and see if I can edit a few short videos for comparison. (Not very good with this so please bear with me)

If anyone else has been playing around with the new map please feel free to post and share your views/pic’s/vids.

Also if anyones got any stuff from the IL2-46 channel map mod please contribute.

Cheers!
Waiting patiently, if you could land in a farmers field, love to see a screen.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Approved Member

Its a mixed bag for me, some of the things in COD I prefer and vice versa certainly the 3D water is amazing.

I will need to check it out a bit more but my two main issues at present are that the landscape looks a bit washed out and my fps are around the 30-40 mark which is terrible given that I had a good constant 60fps in COD Then again the AA works in this game and I don't suffer random slow downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 12-25-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

I think I'd like to see the water toned back a bit from the almost pacific blue it is now. Must have a look in the files and see if I can do something about it myself. The whitecaps could do with toning down too. Especially when HDR is switched on.

The towns and villages look a lot better than I was expecting. The ships are a real pleasure too. Something I really missed in the other channel. I'm getting a significant hit in performance however, but considering how hard they were pushing to get it completed on schedule, I'm fairly confident there will be some optimisation down the track.

Btw Skoshi, you can still land in harbours and rivers etc when the wind is up. There are two kinds of water on the map.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

Landing in a farmers field (As requested) inland of dover.

Tostart off here are the graphics settings

One thing I noticed is the haze in the distance over water, from memory I set the weather to "clear".

If anyone sees any issues with my setting I'm all open for suggestions.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Approved Member

They just torpedoed the entire online community with this map.
The map is sold as addon. Looks like not many online regulars got this new map and if it shows up in the rotation on the server, the guys that don't have it get kicked. The server instantly goes from 20-30 people to five. Now those that didn't get the map can't play, and those that got it don't have who to play with.
If you dare posting about it on ROF forums they delete the thread in a heart beat.
Good luck with this bussines model in the next game.
The map is ok, the collor of water is off. Water looks like 1946 water with better waves. The lighting engine makes it look wrong.
EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit
Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
They just torpedoed the entire online community with this map.
The map is sold as addon. Looks like not many online regulars got this new map and if it shows up in the rotation on the server, the guys that don't have it get kicked. The server instantly goes from 20-30 people to five. Now those that didn't get the map can't play, and those that got it don't have who to play with.
If you dare posting about it on ROF forums they delete the thread in a heart beat.
Good luck with this bussines model in the next game.
The map is ok, the collor of water is off. Water looks like 1946 water with better waves. The lighting engine makes it look wrong.
Were you expecting them to just give it away?

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a ROF cheerleader here but if they offered a system where those who don't own the map could play on servers that are using it, do you really think that anyone but dedicated server owners and single player fans would actually bother buying it? It would essentially mean that they did all that hard work for nothing.

I think the map is a little expensive but that is to be expected for a project of that scale.

The reason they are closing threads like that is because those threads always turn nasty and the ROF forum mods don't want to deal with a ton of anger about something that is actually perfectly logical.

Lastly, I don't think one can really compare ROF and CloD's channel maps, both are built with different goals in mind and while I will always say that CloD has a better looking map, I don't feel that it counts against ROF's map as they both do what they set out to do (though I find that ROF is consistently smoother in the FPS department and the weather effects really make it interesting).

I imagine that this thread is really just going to turn into another ROF bashing session, I suppose there is no avoiding it on this forum.

I wish we could all go back to talking about CloD and not CloD compared to everything else.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Approved Member

Low level near Deal ROF followed by Cod!

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Approved Member

I think they were suposed to think about the online community with this move. It's not like a plane one doesn't own. If you don't own a plane in the mission, you could just get another plane, or fly gunner for somebody else. With this one, everyone that doesn't have the map is out and the mission goes to crap.
This map can straight up kill the online community. I don't think they thought of that. Are they going to make enough money on this map to compensate for the online guys that will just give up and go look for another game?
Maybe, maybe not.
The map is ok and the new boat is fun, but, I wouldn't risk killing the online game play for this map.
Seagate 750GB HDD
Win7 64bit
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Low level near Deal ROF followed by Cod!
Do you have the same crazy fog I do in ROF? I don't know if it's something i did or not, but I can't even see the sun at sunset.

Seagate 750GB HDD
Win7 64bit

Last edited by Jaws2002; 12-26-2012 at 01:25 AM.