Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Approved Member

Default I Hope BOS Graphics Are Better Than ROF.

I find that the Rise Of Flight graphics have a very harsh high contrast look to them. You can say all the bad things you like about Cliffs Of Dover but it's look is much better. I have Rise Of Flight. I don't fly it much because I'm not too interested in the theater and that's to my detriment it has nothing to do with the theater of war. Back to the graphics. I hope they can take away some of this as one person said "cartoonish look".

Last edited by Richie; 12-12-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

I have found the sweetfx programme has toned RoF down a bit for me.Not as good as CoD but still. They have a couple of years to get it right, so heres hoping!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

You should check out the SweetFX for ROF, its called FlightFX and its a program where you can adjust most aspects of ROF "look".

Here is a few shots of ROF after my tweaks...

The look of flight sims is very personal, and each person might perfer one look over another, but where ROF beats COD hands down is the LOD/planes at a distance, ROF does not lose detail at all and FSAA and FSAF is done very well.

Last edited by furbs; 12-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I find that the Rise Of Flight graphics have a very harsh high contrast look to them. You can say all the bad things you like about Cliffs Of Dover but it's look is much better. I have Rise Of Flight. I don't fly it much because I'm not too interested in the theater and that's to my detriment it has nothing to do with the theater of war. Back to the graphics. I hope they can take away some of this as one person said "cartoonish look".

Agreed very much. I have yet to see 1 good screenshot from RoF. Including those in this thread (sorry).

Flying online as Setback.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
Agreed very much. I have yet to see 1 good screenshot from RoF. Including those in this thread (sorry).
I am the last one in this forum who want's to have a negative outlook so..I think the great thing about this merge will be the swiftness in witch the addons will come. I'm pretty sure different arenas such as North Africa, Western Europe etc. will take a fraction of the time to be added compared to Cliffs Of Dover. Also there is nothing wrong with Rise Of Flight's flight models in the slightest. They are excellent. Let's hope the graphics get improved on.

Last edited by Richie; 12-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
Indeed... At release,BOS will be compared to CLOD and War Thunder in terms of graphics . That is inevitable. In its actual state, ROF graphics are already quite behind those two...
And their potential clientèle is playing those game today...
Will the accuracy of the cockpits, FM and Weather model be enough to overcome the lack of " good looks" and ground features to satisfy hardcore simmers ?
It is quite a challenge for the new team....Maybe thay have something up their
sleaves...
But no more "maybe"...We have learned our lesson...

Salute !
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Approved Member

RoF is already past its "use by" date. Only thing good to say about the graphics is it's better than nothin.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Approved Member

Yes, CLOD with flickering shadows, shimmer, pop up buildings, puff ball clouds, dots showing through clouds and landscape, particle and smoke slow down, low detail LODs, only 2x FSAA, no heat haze, low detail land tiles, no weather system, no overcast, rain is much better than the screen shots of ROF above.

Last edited by furbs; 12-13-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Yes, CLOD with flickering shadows, shimmer, pop up buildings, puff ball clouds, dots showing through clouds and landscape, particle and smoke slow down, low detail LODs, only 2x FSAA, no heat haze, low detail land tiles is much better than the screen shots of ROF above.
Meh, it's all subjective, to be honest.

Some of the shots posted in this thread are pretty nice, and RoF as a whole isn't all that bad looking to me even in stock. Besides, I'm much more interested in the level of simulation and the handling of the aircraft than mere eyecandy.

My biggest issue with RoF, however, is the setting. WWI isn't very interesting to me at all. No 109's
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Approved Member

I can agree with the ww1 setting, while enjoying ROF alot, its not my "thing" as well.
I also agree eye candy comes third after the sim aspects, and being historical accurate.

Im hoping BOS manages to do all three to a level we all enjoy.