Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Default AMD Catalyst 12.10 WHQL & 12.11 Beta Released

Hey everyone, just wanted to spread the word that Catalyst 12.10 WHQL and Catalyst 12.11 beta have just been released and if you have a Radeon 7000 series card there are some massive improvements for you in the 12.11 betas, here's a little tidbit of the release notes below.

Performance Highlights of the AMD CATALYST 12.11 BETA Driver

10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
Up to 10% more performance in DIRT Showdown
Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2

Resolved issue highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 Beta

Resolves performance issues (where GPU activity runs at lower values than expected) seen on the AMD Radeon HD 7870
AMD Catalyst Mobility 7970M performance for AMD Enduro™ Technology supported platforms has been substantially improved for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications. An updated driver for 7970M users featuring AMD Enduro™ Technology with additional DirectX 9 performance improvements will be released soon.

3DMark Vantage – Up to 15%
3DMark 11 – Up to 12%
AvP – Up to 11%
Battlefield 3 – Up to 25%
Crysis 2: Up to 45%
DiRT Showdown – Up to 62%
ETQW – Up to 8%
Hard Reset – Up to 8%
Just Cause 2 – Up to 90%
The Chronicles of Riddick – Up to 4%
Shogun 2 – Up to 56%
Sniper Elite V2 – Up to 60%
Tom Clancy’s HAWX – Up to 56%
Unigine Heaven – Up to 33%
Wolfenstein – Up to 9%

There have been a few creditable review sites that have looked at the 12.11 betas and the performance improvements do indeed seem to only apply to the latest CGN 7000 series cards but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying them out.

Catalyst 12.11 Beta Windows 7 & 8 download link

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etadriver.aspx

Catalyst Application Profile (CAP) 12.10 download link

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...-profiles.aspx

and for those who don't like beta drivers or have XP (please upgrade already!) find your proper version of Catalyst 12.10 WHQL here

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...downloads.aspx

Edit: For those who downloaded 12.11 beta already, AMD has just released Beta version 8. The same download link applies. There is also a new 12.11 CAP1 released, however it's not on the official AMD website yet so I don't want to post a link.

Last edited by Al Capwn; 11-17-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Approved Member

Sweet.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

S!

Using 12.11 betas + 12.10 CAP1. Smooth in Cliffs of Dover, testing other games ASAP.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Using 12.11 betas + 12.10 CAP1. Smooth in Cliffs of Dover, testing other games ASAP.
Oh that's a great idea, I didn't even think of the new CAP, I'll post a link in my OP. Thanks Flanker!

S!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capwn View Post
Oh that's a great idea, I didn't even think of the new CAP, I'll post a link in my OP. Thanks Flanker!

S!
what do you mean? with CAP?, i just downloaded and installed the beta...im a new user for AMD graphics just got a 7850 (from nvidia 450)and the game runs beautifully(at least on the 12.9 drivers, havent tested new beta yet
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
what do you mean? with CAP?, i just downloaded and installed the beta...im a new user for AMD graphics just got a 7850 (from nvidia 450)and the game runs beautifully(at least on the 12.9 drivers, havent tested new beta yet
Hi tk471138, I'm glad to hear you made the switch to AMD.

Catalyst Application Proflies (CAPs) are generally only needed for CrossFire (multi gpu) users and you don't generally need them with a single GPU. However, sometimes there are fixes/tweaks for even single GPUs in AMD CAPs; you can read the notes for these, but all CAP fixes/tweaks are integrated into the next driver release so if you don't see anything for single GPUs in a CAP then don't bother and don't worry about older CAPs.

If you do end up installing one of the CAPs I would recommend removing the old CAP first (named Application Profiles in add/remove). If you don't you'll have multiple Application Profiles in your add/remove and it may even cause issues, so I would say it's safe practice to remove the old copy before proceeding.

With your 7850 you'll see some very respectable gains with the 12.11 beta drivers, although I do not know if they will help in ClOD (it would be good to get feedback if they do). I would suggest you give them a shot although keep in mind they are beta, and may have some issues, but I haven't run into any yet; they seem to be one of the best drivers from AMD to date.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Al Capwn; 10-24-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Approved Member

S!

Note that the driver has been updated to Beta4 and also has DotNet 4.0 compatible version as didn't CoD use it too.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capwn View Post
Hi tk471138, I'm glad to hear you made the switch to AMD.

Catalyst Application Proflies (CAPs) are generally only needed for CrossFire (multi gpu) users and you don't generally need them with a single GPU. However, sometimes there are fixes/tweaks for even single GPUs in AMD CAPs; you can read the notes for these, but all CAP fixes/tweaks are integrated into the next driver release so if you don't see anything for single GPUs in a CAP then don't bother and don't worry about older CAPs.

If you do end up installing one of the CAPs I would recommend removing the old CAP first (named Application Profiles in add/remove). If you don't you'll have multiple Application Profiles in your add/remove and it may even cause issues, so I would say it's safe practice to remove the old copy before proceeding.

With your 7850 you'll see some very respectable gains with the 12.11 beta drivers, although I do not know if they will help in ClOD (it would be good to get feedback if they do). I would suggest you give them a shot although keep in mind they are beta, and may have some issues, but I haven't run into any yet; they seem to be one of the best drivers from AMD to date.

I hope this helps
thanks guy for your explanation, yea i got amd processor too, they seem to have their price points set pretty well and is not over priced...
yea i had to change one of the settings already for arma 2 some AI or something i generally leave these alone and put them at game setting unless otherwise instructed

i will report back with the performance when i get a chance to play but honestly from what i recall from the old drivers 12.9 the game was able to max out (grass was off and maybe building options were at high instead of like highest or unlimited) at 1920x1080 and the game really ran well even in london...cept when i have like mad groups of bombers and stuff goin on

played some it was a larger mission over the ocean that i made with alot of planes on the map in one spot at the same time, maybe 40, during this fite the fps goes down but so does the %usage of the GPU which indicates some kinda of bottle neck, and it seems that one core on my processor is on 100% usage, will test more maybe over london with out so many planes

all settings are on higest they can be on cept ssao is unchecked vsync is off (thought i remember hearing that it was broken) forest is on medium buildings amount is on high damage decals tex quality on original (highest i think right) AA is also off dont remember if this feature was working....

Last edited by tk471138; 10-25-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 AM
Approved Member

another test... this time made a mission with me flying around england with a group of 6, i put an enemy out like 15 min so i can fly around and do these tests....flying around 1k maybe a little less i get around 30-40 fps, the gpu is working at 80%, and again the first cpu (cpu0) is at or near 100% across the board, with the rest of the cores at around 25%it seems that the cpu is the bottle neck....

the settings are the same as the above post

regarding the old amd patch, all i can say is it seeming runs just as smoothly (and most likely better since they say that the driver includes optimizations)

also can i turn on AA or vsync, i dont know why i just seem to recall reading on these forums that those functions are not working or something so if this is incorrect let me know as i would like to change those options THANKS !!

Last edited by tk471138; 10-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
another test... this time made a mission with me flying around england with a group of 6, i put an enemy out like 15 min so i can fly around and do these tests....flying around 1k maybe a little less i get around 30-40 fps, the gpu is working at 80%, and again the first cpu (cpu0) is at or near 100% across the board, with the rest of the cores at around 25%it seems that the cpu is the bottle neck....

the settings are the same as the above post

regarding the old amd patch, all i can say is it seeming runs just as smoothly (and most likely better since they say that the driver includes optimizations)

also can i turn on AA or vsync, i dont know why i just seem to recall reading on these forums that those functions are not working or something so if this is incorrect let me know as i would like to change those options THANKS !!
Hello again tk471138, I'm glad to hear you're seeing good results with the new driver! AA does not currently function properly, although it seems setting it to 2x sometimes results in some AA but it's more of a performance hit than what it's worth (if it was implemented correctly this wouldn't be the case). However VSync does work properly as far as I understand it; I can't vouch for it personally as I don't use VSync but I've read on the forums that many here use it successfully.

Regarding the AMD CPU, you will find that it will be the bottleneck in games that don't have proper multithreading support as it's not particularly powerful while running on only one core. Although you will find that DX11 titles have absolutely excellent multithreading support (among other excellent performance enhancing features) and will run great on your AMD processor as it's much better in a heavy multithreading environment.

One trick you may find interesting is that in cases of a CPU bottleneck, you can try actually increasing certain graphics settings and you may find your performance increases as more load is put on the GPU. I would say first run the "Black Death" track on your current settings (no VSync) and then try turning all your settings to max (except SSAO and VSync) and run the track again and observe the change in fps/smoothness.

The function to enable in game FPS counter is "FPS START SHOW" (I believe it needs to be all caps and you may need to bind a key for the console in the options under Controls -> Game) and to restart the fps avg count you can do "FPS STOP SHOW" and then do "FPS START SHOW" again. There may be an easier way to do that but I don't know it.

I hope this helps and I'd love to hear back about your results.

Cheers!

Last edited by Al Capwn; 10-26-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Fix FPS commands