Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Approved Member

Default Ati 4850

Anybody tried this card with iL2... I'm looking to buy a pair of 4870 when they come out and was wondering if the drivers worked good with iL2... I've heard that the 3870 had stuttering issues (not sure if it was fixed though).

Thanks guys,
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

Good question. I'm considering going for AMD/ATI again, too. From what I heard the latest drivers fixed a lot of issues and gave an enormous performance-boost in many games. (IIRC 39% for CoD4 for 3xxx cards)
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom2136 View Post
Anybody tried this card with iL2... I'm looking to buy a pair of 4870 when they come out and was wondering if the drivers worked good with iL2... I've heard that the 3870 had stuttering issues (not sure if it was fixed though).

Thanks guys,

Running 3870X2 here since the day it was released, never seen any stuttering or other negative effects. Performance of late ATI cards is fantastic IMO...and picture quality is FAR superior to nVidia (ducking ) in my opinion, of course.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

I know we will be in flames, soon, but I totally agree with you, crazyivan1970.

When I switched from my old trusty 9800pro to the nVidia 6800GT I was honestly shocked how poor the rendering was. They have improved in terms of image-quality 2D and 3D over the last models, but it's still far behind AMD/ATI. To bad image quality isn't judged in any of the official benchmarks, because simple FPS is not everything...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

I got your back on this mate... Now lets dig some trenches...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

No... You guys are spot on in terms of Nvidia.. I switched from my trusty ATI to the 1950 Pro to two 8800GTs in SLI and haven't really looked back. With the 7 series and below the ATI had much better looking IQ. With the 8800s and above Nvidia finally got it right.

Now just to give some feedback. As of late I get a pulsing studder with my SLI setup in IL2 with all the eyecandy on 8Xaa and 16XAF but the frame rates make up for this weird studder effect. What is strange is I think a driver broke it because I never had the problem with earlier revs of their drivers.

Also I haven't tried the new DLLs either so I don't know whos at fault here but I mostly blame Nvidia.

In terms of other games these two cards have been pretty much flawless. The performance is better than the new 280 and clearly its about 300 bucks cheaper.

I'm really glad ATI stepped up to the plate with the 4000 series. It will force Nividia to get their act together. They've been living high on the horse for over 2 years now with their 8800 cards. Great cards but at a very high cost.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
71st_Mastiff

Well I for one still don't see any improvements with ATI and open GL especialy with the new 8.6 drivers, I run ATI HD 3650s 512mb Sapphire Crossfire X set up and I had to go back to 8.4 drvrs. NVIDA has out done open-GL far more superior.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
I know we will be in flames, soon, but I totally agree with you, crazyivan1970.

When I switched from my old trusty 9800pro to the nVidia 6800GT I was honestly shocked how poor the rendering was. They have improved in terms of image-quality 2D and 3D over the last models, but it's still far behind AMD/ATI. To bad image quality isn't judged in any of the official benchmarks, because simple FPS is not everything...
I have to say i went to nVidia also and ive been less than impressed.my old 9800pro had a better image than then 7950gt i switched too.ill be going back to ati next build.my 9800pro is still doing great in my sons old dell now and it runs everything he,s playing just fine.probly one of the best cards ever made.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

How can this happen ??? The nvdia 7900 cards are faster than Radeon 9800 pro so how can the weaker 9800 pro have better graphics than the more powerful 7950gt?? Anyway i am pretty sure that my 8800gt has better image quality than a 9800 pro!! Can you post some screenhots of games running with a ati card and some others screenhots of games running with nvdia card so we can make a comparission??
Old 07-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Approved Member

Frames Per Second does not equal image quality, Baxter.

Of course new cards can usually show more effects, as they are more powerful. For IL2 those cards are overkill, though. Remember, this game is 9 years old and even with the upgraded graphics, it touches the limits of your CPU much faster than those of your GPU.

The image quality shows in different aspects, though. For example: With the 8800 I have flickering textures in IL2, flickering smoke, with perfect mode and effects=2 the flak-clouds turn pink and the groundtexture moves around slightly, even when standing still on some map and mission combinations.

For LockOn, you see shimering beaches, even through the fog and the self-shadowing is crippled.

These things have nothing to do with visual effects of the game, that older graphics cards cannot show. It has rather something to do with image-quality-factors, that were accepted to push up the overall performance and frames per second.
From the marketing point of view, the masses of top-notch-brand-new-graphics-card-uses are not the few people who play IL2 or LockOn. Not even BF2 any longer, so there is no need for nVidia to fix these issues either.