Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

Default fast heart beat when playing online, healthy or harmfull

i love playing this game online cause it makes my heart beat fast

i measured my pulse after a dogfight and it was 140 when normally its 70

i really love the feeling but is it healthy?

love adreanline safe in the sofa

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Listen to Death-Metal, let me know what happened.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

I'd suggest it's not that healthy. It's good to get the heart going quicker every so often, but I think for it to be beneficial it needs to be as a result of physical exercise.

I do think that playing a combat flightsim online is good for exercising the brain, though.

I'm not a physician, by the way - those are just my opinions
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

It's not adrenalin that's bad for you, it's the stress hormone cortisol.

See here:

"Adrenalin and cortisol are two hormones which are often confused together because of the fact that they both evolve from the same adrenal glands. Also, when mentioning one hormone, it almost never goes without mentioning the other which results in the two components often walking hand in hand. Yet, these two hormones are quite different from each other and yield different properties altogether.
What is adrenalin?
Adrenalin, also known as epinephrine, can be best described as a hormone that is produced by the adrenal glands which found directly above the kidneys of animals and human beings. It is an essential hormone which is produced in high stress or exhilarating situations which as a result stimulates the heart-rate, contracts blood vessels, dilates air passages which results in allowing more oxygen in to the lungs which in turn increases a person’s physical performance and provides the amount of energy necessary in coping with unexpected situations.....
What is cortisol?
Cortisol, also called as the corticosteroid hormone, is a hormone which is better known as the « stress hormone » and is released specifically by the adrenal gland throughout the day of which the production increases drastically during highly stressful situations. It has some positive impacts on the body such as help reduce inflammation, increasing short-term memory, help the liver remove toxins from the body and also in that the sodium amount in the body is put to good use.

Cortisol also has negative impacts on the body such as raising blood pressure, lowering bone density, reducing immune response and have an effect on blood serum levels of glucose and reduces serotonin which results in that person being highly agitated and anxious as a result.

....one can say that adrenalin while providing the body with the necessary components that is necessary in reacting according to the situation, cortisol does that too in its own way. And yet, while adrenalin is not known to have an adverse effect on the body whereas cortisol does in fact, react in a harmful way."

http://www.wikidifference.com/differ...-and-cortisol/

So, no. Adrenalin is not bad for you. It is long term stressful situations (such as work) that are bad for your health

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 10-09-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Approved Member

oh then love would be bad

i dont feel any stress playing, i only did once after 600 hours to get a world record racing which i finally got, oh man was that crazy

a high heart beat at rest with a pleasent feeling is worth the damage if so

the feeling i get playing is no different the feeling i got paragliding

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaaid View Post
the feeling i get playing is no different the feeling i got paragliding
Yes, but the difference is that you are physically doing something with paragliding. Adrenalin/cortisol production is part of the "fight or flight" reaction - your body is being subconsciously prepared for extreme physical activity.

What we commonly call "stress" is associated with being put in a situation which causes the body to get ready for action, but doesn't allow any physical outlet. Sitting in front of the PC and getting wound up by a game fits that description, to my mind.

Also, you have to be wary when talking about "stress" in this context. In physiological terms stress means making the body work harder - exercising, being too hot or cold, high or low air pressure, and so on - not necessarily things which make us anxious, or "stressed".

Last edited by =CfC= Father Ted; 10-10-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Approved Member

Raiid your probably revering to anxiety, not anything stress related.as its hopefully in a minimal context its fine...prolonged anxiety of anxiety attacks is a completely different kettle of fish
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

I had something like that happen when I was playing Pirates of the Burning seas. It caused me to uninstall that game.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Physiological stress is body response to upset homeostasis of it. Basically, body is self regulating system, and it always seeks the way of returning to "ideal" state, if something pushes it out of its parameters. That happens constantly, but we notice stress only if our body goes out of parameters by large margin, and it responds strongly enough. Shaking in cold, sweating in heat, having high heart rate while exercising and so on is a stress.

Psychological stress is similar in someway, except it is not response to disturbed homeostasis of body, but to disturbed state of mind. I.e., if we have lots of work and we are not sure we will complete it before deadline, we begin feeling pressure, anxiety and so on. Such response of our subconsciousness is kinda supposed to provoke some actions (like working harder to meet deadline) from our consciousness, and return mind closer to peace ("ideal" state).

Stress is tiring, because body/mind has always work harder in stress. This is not always a bad thing, as manageable short time stress can help with training/adaptation, however a long term stress or too strong stress can be very damaging.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

since i take gaming now lightly i dont think theres danger in this litle pleasure

but gotta admitt when i was 1 tenth of second from world record on race series from simbin and wanted to beat it i began to felt so stressed that i began to see very bizarre things on tv

i got the world record and then everything got normal

there are some theories that the world indeed is very strange but we dont notice

if a giant ape passes you by on the bus the most probable is that your conciousness would supress that