Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Approved Member

Default Transports

Just a thought, as a change from endless dogfights any chance in the future of a C-47 and Ju52 as flyables. Neither side could have achieved anything wiyhout them and there would be plenty of FMB possibilities for Stalingrad, Normandy, Burma etc and they'd both make good multi engine trainers for instrument flying practice.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Approved Member

I gess it is not asking to much, and would give the game something very diferent. I can imagine myself flying one of those cargos, doing navigation etc, and some(human) fighters ascorting
Old 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Approved Member

+1 I would love 'unarmed' transport or recon missions
Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Approved Member

Junkers 52, DC3...
I dream to have those planes with accurate cockpit and realistic handling.
At least for dropping paratroops on airfield, and as stated above, they had a very important role in the war.

Personnaly, I use also 1946 as a flight simulator (peace) I do not know why I prefer to fly in this sim than FS9 or FSX
Maybe I feel IL2 1946 more "authentic" or immersive.

Thus flying a transport for war or not would be so nice.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

Both are flyable in modded versions of the sim.

Once the "new" wears off, they just get you to the smoking hole in the ground a little bit slower than a fighter or bomber, and you always end up a smoking hole in the ground if any enemy air opposition is around.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

There are flyable in the modded version, but their cockpit are not accurate, and their handling are bad.
After, being shot is not or not is not the point as it is a matter of skill and cooperation with little friends.
A transport mission is also a war mission.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Approved Member

The Li2 took a very important role in the war, not only as a transport, but also as a bomber (2*500kg or 4*250 kg bomb) thousands were build during the war
Here is a very nice documentary in English about this plane

Last edited by Nil; 10-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

well, about soviet "transport" li-2 - do not expect to carry only anti-aircraft gunners (зенитчицы) and canned meat - all planes was armed and have, at least, one machine gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
The Li2 took a very important role in the war, not only as a transport, but also as a bomber (2*500kg or 4*250 kg bomb) thousands were build during the war
yeah, and what i found now about weapon loads for Li-2 bomber, in total (it's li-2 with or 4 shkas, or 3 shkas and 1 UBT) -

lot of small bombs (i think, ao-2.5, ao-25 etc)...

lot of fab-100...

4 fab-250...

2 fab-500 and 2 fab-250...

4 fab-500 (overload)...

4 rs-82...

well... if only half of this true, it's really not bad for "just cargo"...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Approved Member

shall we have transports for Great Britain and Japan for il2?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Once the "new" wears off, they just get you to the smoking hole in the ground a little bit slower than a fighter or bomber, and you always end up a smoking hole in the ground if any enemy air opposition is around.
No worse than some other hapless early war planes in the game like the Devastator or the D3A1.

Also, keep in mind that the Ju-52 was successfully used as a bomber during the SCW and that versions of the Li-2 and DC-3 were used as improvised bombers during WW2 and post-WW2 conflicts.

While I agree that the transports should be at the back of the line for cockpits until every single-engine plane in the game is flyable, they would be welcome additions - some day.

For the moment, what would be useful would be improved loadouts reflecting different amounts of cargo and balance points, as well as bomb loadouts where appropriate. There would also be no harm in improving their FM with an eye towards eventually modeling their cockpits and crew stations.