Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Default well my PC died on my Birthday

Got a new CPU fan and a case as part of my birthday. I had a new quad core system in a really hot old case and the stock fan was rubbish. 3 months old. Did all the anti static procedures. Wiped the IHS with 99.9 percent alcohol. Let it dry. Reapplied thermal paste.

Now nothing, no Bios load up just a blank screen with no beebs. Whats more some of the screws are threaded into the motherboards brass attachments. Nor do I have the parts to troubleshoot the problem, or the money to buy anymore parts for that matter.

I thought I'd post this here as currently ontop of that I am banned from my internet home that is the ubizoo.

I'm going to guzzle Jack Daniels now.

Tragic waste of money

Last edited by Airmail; 06-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmail View Post
Got a new CPU fan and a case as part of my birthday. I had a new quad core system in a really hot old case and the stock fan was rubbish. 3 months old. Did all the anti static procedures. Wiped the IHS with 99.9 percent alcohol. Let it dry. Reapplied thermal paste.

Now nothing, no Bios load up just a blank screen with no beebs. Whats more some of the screws are threaded into the motherboards brass attachments. Nor do I have the parts to troubleshoot the problem, or the money to buy anymore parts for that matter.

I thought I'd post this here as currently ontop of that I am banned from my internet home that is the ubizoo.

I'm going to guzzle Jack Daniels now.

Tragic waste of money
Do you mean you got a new case, like a case which you transferred the internals into? And that at some point you removed the heatsink and re-TIMed the processor, before replacing the sink with a new fan screwed onto it? Your post is really unclear. It doesn't sound as though you necessarily need any more parts, but that you need to go back and run through the process again.

What does this mean - "Whats more some of the screws are threaded into the motherboards brass attachments" - ???

Don't try sorting it out while you're drunk.

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

You have my sympathy man ...we've all been there ...Dont like the sound of

" some of the screws are threaded into the motherboards brass attachments."

Do you mean its a tricky heat sink/cooler to fit and will require removing motherboard to get at it or something more sinister like a case screw/ self tapper is embedded in your motherboard!?

"Nor do I have the parts to troubleshoot the problem, or the money to buy anymore parts for that matter."

If youre REALLY stuck and somewhat shameless you could get a motherboard /ram/psu/cpu or whatever from your local pc chain on your credit card and just bring them back after youve finished testing your components .Make sure to check that the place has a 7/21/28 etc day 'cooling off'/ no quibble returns policy though!!!

The whole anti static thing is over hyped 99% of the time and once your observing any kind of common sense youre not gonna damage parts that way....

Did you definitely put the cpu back in the right way ???If you used too much thermal paste theres a good chance some has dripped down causing shorting -you really only want a thin smear over the whole surface or even the inside circle /disc the size of a penny at a push (as thats where the actual 'cpu' lies underneath the square metal cover plate).

Just take it all apart and clean everything as much as poss before reapplying less paste and screwing it all back together.If it doesnt work then ie post to BIOS with just one stick of ram ,cpu and graphics card in motherboard you most likely need a new motherboard or perhaps psu ...Dont give up hope just yet!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Approved Member

Oh yeah as Brando said dont try work on pc when have alcohol taken or at 4am exhausted etc!!!And Happy Birthday ...
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

when sober, try clearing the cmos, and take out any cards you don't need, such as soundcards. If you have more than one stick of ram, try booting with just one stick and maybe try a different memory slot. The cpu may be fine, could be psu related, or simply the bios had a hissy and a clearing the cmos will sort it.

Basically, set the pc up with the bare minimum hardware it needs to work and double check everything is seated properly, especially the power connectors, memory and graphics card. I've had pcs look dead as door knockers and all it took to fix em was taking the power connector out the mobo and reseating it again.

EDIT Ytareh beat me too it

Last edited by Inadaze; 06-11-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Airmail, could it be you did not seat the video card well? That happened to me the other day -- somehow it became just a little looser than it was. No bootup, blank black screen, and all fans and hard drive sounding correct. Took out video card, put back video card fully. Everything okay.

Last edited by LEXX; 06-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Approved Member

Not to sound facetious, but Happy Birthday, and I hope that you sort out your PC woes expeditiously. I believe it is safe to say that we have all been there in some way, and full well understand the frustrations you are going through. I really do hope you get it all sorted quickly.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Approved Member

Remove the mb from the case, remove the cpu, then see if the mb will power up. If it does, reinstall making sure of no grounding problem to the case. If out of the case test failed, check the psu for failure

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks looooads guys, Brando your right! Sorry I was a little drunk. Anyway it's still not working, I followed the brilliant advice you guys posted but to no avail. However you've given me some future tips I'll bear in mind. The good news is, I turned up at a local IT office on the way back from town. They usually repair buisness computers, but I think they felt sorry for me. So for 45 quid which IMO is a bargain, they'll go through everything and diagnose exactly what the problem is. Which is great, I'm much happier doing that than ordering the parts in on a credit card and returning the ones I dont need. (brilliant idea btw)

I was contemplating breaking into my house and stealing my pc at one point.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

When are you expecting it back?Im sure we've all had these kinda problems ...but on your birthday...well thats cruel...Let us know what the problem was.