Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

Default What chance of a new P-38 Model, with correct mesh and UV mapping for skins?

As much as I love the P-47, the P-38 is also crying out for some love. I realise that there is work going on to make the cockpits better but the age-old problem of skinning is a real frustration.

Currently any skin created cannot be 'historically accurate' as part of the mesh is sued on the opposite side meaning any skin that has a texture on that mesh, means it is mirrored on the opposite side.

Now I fully understand that modifying any of the existing models will mean years of user skins no-longer being compatible and I can see that being unacceptable.

So is there any way that a 'new' P-38 could be created, maybe an earlier or later variant of the ones that we already have, but this could effectively be a starting from new project. This way all the other P-38's and their skins remain untouched but the new P-38 can be skinned correctly so that the texture mirroring is no-longer an issue.

Okay, I have never modelled in 3D (it is something I am considering learning once I complete Checkertails Part 2) but most of the model is already there from previous versions, it just needs to be mesh-mapped and UV mapped so that each part has it's own individual texture. Then at-last we can show the P-38 accurately?

I hope this is possible as along with the P-47 the P-38 really could do with a little loving

Cheers, MP
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

well at-least 125 people were interested enough to have a look
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

It's possible (i.e. not associated with the company that shall not be named)... and it'd be great to have for those New Guinea map missions for sure.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Approved Member

Yay! I hoped someone would spot the potential for the New Guinea Map. It would be perfect and with authentic skins it could be incredibly immersive!?

Cheers, MP
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Approved Member

Oh all these ideas cross my mind... I wish I had some talent in the 3D so I could help. The trick with the early model P-38s is that they have a somewhat different cockpit than the later models so it'll need a fairly extensive remodelling. It'd be worth it... just that it needs to be done.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

The mod early 38's are pretty good, but they are based off of the original 3d which is starting to look REALLY dated!
I think its pretty astounding that none of the 3d modders have taken up the challenge of updating the -38's 3d like they have done with the 109, Zero, P-40 etc.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

Id like to see some brand new P-38 3d models....one can only hope
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterace View Post
Id like to see some brand new P-38 3d models....one can only hope
Gibbage's modded versions of the P-38F and G are very good, although they still have the mirrored skin problem.

Since it appears that there are no longer restrictions on MTO content, the P-38F would be a welcome addition to the North African theater.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Gibbage's modded versions of the P-38F and G are very good, although they still have the mirrored skin problem.

Since it appears that there are no longer restrictions on MTO content, the P-38F would be a welcome addition to the North African theater.
Now we only need new cockpits for them.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Approved Member

Bump
+1