Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Default my trackir5 is dying...how is freetrack?

hey guys, my trackir5 is dying slowly, so i wanted to know, how freetrack is working...
i have trackir5 now for almost exactly two years, and i was really happy with it.i couldnt fly without it anymore.but two years, isnt a long time for a webcam for 150euros, so im hesitating whether i should go again with trackir or if i should go for the much cheaper version, freetrack.

now what im really looking for, is the quality....i think i would really hate to use freetrack, if it wouldnt work as good as trackir.so the first big question,...is it possible, with the proper webcam, to get freetrack working as good as trackir.

second question,....which webcam?(i think i would prefer to have one with infrared leds, so that i could use my already existing track clip from trackir)
i would really like to avoid to sit with a flashlight or torch on my cap in front of my rig....im already looking strange enough with the track clip.

please moderators, leave this thread at least a while in the main section, as i really look for answers, and in the subforums, such threads tend to be ignored...thx in advance.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
hey guys, my trackir5 is dying slowly, so i wanted to know, how freetrack is working...
i have trackir5 now for almost exactly two years, and i was really happy with it.i couldnt fly without it anymore.but two years, isnt a long time for a webcam for 150euros, so im hesitating whether i should go again with trackir or if i should go for the much cheaper version, freetrack.

now what im really looking for, is the quality....i think i would really hate to use freetrack, if it wouldnt work as good as trackir.so the first big question,...is it possible, with the proper webcam, to get freetrack working as good as trackir.

second question,....which webcam?(i think i would prefer to have one with infrared leds, so that i could use my already existing track clip from trackir)
i would really like to avoid to sit with a flashlight or torch on my cap in front of my rig....im already looking strange enough with the track clip.

please moderators, leave this thread at least a while in the main section, as i really look for answers, and in the subforums, such threads tend to be ignored...thx in advance.
What is happening to your TrackIR?

That said, AFAIK nothing comes close to Track IR in terms of easy to use and tracking itself. I checked out freetrack a couple years ago and was not impressed, though things might have changed by now. I'd still doubt it works as good as TrackIR, though, simply for the matter that the mechanics behind tracking work on the basis of contrast, and a reflector or active LEDs simply provide the best solution for that.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Mine is working flawlessly since 2006. Maybe you should contact Natural Point regarding that issue.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

well, yesterday, the cam just didnt recognize anything anymore all of a sudden....then i tried everything possible,...uninstalling, other usb port and so on without any luck.

today in the morning i already wanted to throw it in my waste paper basket, but before i was going to do that, i hit it hard out of frustration....and suddenly, this stupid little piece of s.... worked again...
to make it work, i have to push/press it really strong some seconds.
but its not reliable anymore and besides, i dont think that it will like this treatment for a longer period.
i also opened it, and looked whether there are lose contacts or something, everything looks perfect inside.....then i looked on natural point forum, and there seem to be many people reporting problems after 2-3years...so i dont want to buy this again, if it will last again only two years.
so now im really curious whether freetrack is at least close in quality to trackir
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
Mine is working flawlessly since 2006. Maybe you should contact Natural Point regarding that issue.
nice for you!very helpful post!
the warranty for trackir is only 1year...
Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
nice for you!very helpful post!
the warranty for trackir is only 1year...
Maybe they know about a manufacturing or QM problem and acknowledge it. Maybe you could get a cheap replacement or a discount from them. Firing off an email takes just a little time and no money.

I think you're in the EU - do you know that by consumer rights you have 24 months of warranty? Contact your dealer about it. Oh wait, you opened it up ... so that road is closed.

I would recommend to buy another TrackIR.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Approved Member

I have a freetrack setup but tried an old Trackir 3, if you have the money go for another trackir. Freetrack is good but trackir is on another level.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

S!

Also make sure to check in TIR software -> Camera -> light filter threshold setting is not at maximum(slider all the way to right). Then it does not see anything. I have mine at around 140 or so and it is a quite good setting.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Ermm, for 150 euros you could buy a trackIR and it would be all ready to go...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

Before buying a new TrackIR unit, make sure to read this: TrackIR Anticompetition.
You may care or you may not, still it's good thing to know who are you dealing with.