Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

Default A Question for my fellow COD lovers

Okay again the usual spill....this isnt here to start a flame war yada yada so DONT..

OK..Im confused, Weve just been giving this BETA, now this so called BETA was supposed to be the magic patch was it not or am i missing something here? from what i have seen and read, this patch addressed nearly all issues hence why weve waited so dam long for it and listened to countless updates saying this is fixed, that is fixed but a couple of lil issues have stopped us releasing it..

the whole ''Weve think youve waited long enough'' sums it up...''Yes its here, finally'' we all thought

My first doubt was when i read something on the lines of 'FM not finished, loads more to do etc etc'' < What? Agiain might be me but were we not lead to believe that the FM's were pretty much complete, that statement does not back up that notion..

This patch has introduced loads of bugs again, more than the last patch but has gave us tracers a tweaked FM and for a lot of us a smoother game but that is it...CTD,LOD,TREES,HURRI etc etc etc ..See Bliss's report which pretty much sums it up...WHY did we WAIT so long for this patch people? this should of been another BETA a few weeks later or if it was to be longer dont try and sell it as 'the patch'

I dont understand why we keep getting these BETA's that are messing up things, reintroducing things while fixing 1 thing (exaggeration but you get my point)

They have presently 3d modelers etc working on a sequel..a lot of people can model Aircraft in that industry i would of thought...and im sure they are getting paid for their work?....SO why arnt they using that same money to employ more people to work on the basics and getting this game to work....I Map online with SP broke for the most part CTD's FPS issues FM issues etc etc isnt working, whatever planet you live on..you cant keep hiding behind the whole, ''what part of BETA dont you understand'' that is getting very old now and it looks like were keep getting these BETAS that are hyped up at first as 'the one' for a long time yet

The bug count from what I can see is as high as it was 12 months ago?

Are we going to be sold the sequel which by the way i would buy even if it came out tomoz cuz im sad like that and im guessing there are quite a few more like me flying this sim to bring in another influx of money so they can carry on 'fixing' this game while were enjoying some more aircraft and another map?

I can play this game on HIGH settings with CTD's and FPS hits, so what i can live with that...I dont play it much cuz im bored of doing the same old maps with the same old things going on and with no wingmen/squadmates so im on the fence here but i keep thinking about the above and am confused with the whole situation right now
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
Okay again the usual spill....this isnt here to start a flame war yada yada so DONT..

OK..Im confused, Weve just been giving this BETA, now this so called BETA was supposed to be the magic patch was it not or am i missing something here?
Not trying to start a flame war either but since you write it in capital letters - maybe the thing you were missing is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, prototype, technical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ife_cycle#Beta

Looking up what beta means, if you don't know about it, could've saved you all that time to write your long post.

And just on a sidenote because I assume you will have difficulies accepting this. Even Blizzard, a company making billions of PROFIT, probably 1 million times more than maddox games, is testing their patches AND is working with reduced staff on patching WHILE working on sequels.

Even if 1000 people on this forum would've bought CloD for full price, that'd be like 50k of whatever currency. But not everyone did. Many bought it for 20. Now, that means a profit margin for MG of like 5-30 dollars per copy and that's like 15000 dollars in total. That's one workstation with licensed software!
Stop kidding yourselves. They are working with almost nothing. Even CRC screens last time I saw studio pictures. If you can do better - how about you fund a project yourself? Go to kickstarter and assemble a group of programmers, artists etc. and make a better game? :p I'm sure a "lot" of people will buy it.

Last edited by Madfish; 06-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
Not trying to start a flame war either but since you write it in capital letters - maybe the thing you were missing is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ife_cycle#Beta

Looking up what beta means, if you don't know about it, could've saved you all that time to write your long post.
Well, that didn't take long:

'''Looking up what beta means, if you don't know about it, could've saved you all that time to write your long post'''

You've missed the point so I wont waste my time reading what you have pasted...judging by your last post you just made and your attitude (not that its bad) and the fact your away for months etc etc i can see why you replied the way you did...

Oh and CAPS does not warrant or is a way to introduce a flame war..fyi

Last edited by Ze-Jamz; 06-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
They have presently 3d modelers etc working on a sequel..a lot of people can model Aircraft in that industry i would of thought...and im sure they are getting paid for their work?....SO why arnt they using that same money to employ more people to work on the basics and getting this game to work...
We can't find a free programmers with knowledge of aviation in the Russian labor market. This is a very big problem.
Also, we lost a lot of employees from the old team.

Last edited by BlackSix; 06-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSix View Post
We can't find a free programmers with knowledge of aviation in the Russian labor market. This is a very big problem.
Also, we lost a lot of employees from the old team.
Hi BS,

My point is that you are paying these people to model AC for the new sequel and from the limited amount of knowledge i have takes a long time and im guessing money..

Forgive the direct approach and you may have a simple answer but why is this money not being used to help fix the current problems first?

Or am i missing something here? This patch was supposed to be 'the fix' for the most part...Was this your intention? and did you intend to release this patch, isolate what you knew mat be problems and 'Hotfix' them (I doubt this scenario but il ask anyway)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Approved Member

All our programmers are working with the CloD now. We can't make more in current situation.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Approved Member

From my understanding this patch is purely to test the Dx9 features they added/fixed and it happens to have some other stuff that they tweaked or introduced while working on the Dx9 part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSix View Post
Test the DX9 is one of the main tasks in the next beta.
It's the community who hypes these patches to hell and then acts all annoyed when they don't get what was expected, NOT promised except for a few rare instances.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
It's the community who hypes these patches to hell and then acts all annoyed when they don't get what was expected, NOT promised except for a few rare instances.
Don't use beta, wait official patch. It's all that I can say.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Approved Member

Hey B6, here's a couple of questions for you. How many more beta patches do you think there will be before the final retail patch? Also, will the retail patch be the last patch for CloD? because at this pace it seems as if BoM will be finished by the time the retail patch is done.

P.S What happened to the special announcement of BoM that was supposed to be in June?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Approved Member

Ze-Jams, seriously, you talk about a BETA patching and expecting it to be final. That's just not logical in any way and won't happen anywere. And no one said it was the final patch that solves everything. No one.

You also don't understand that they simply do not have the rescources. Interestingly blacksix already posted on it. But yeah, if you don't put money on the table - how do you expect them to work more on it? Do YOU work for free? I don't.

The focus HAS to be the sequel since CloD isn't selling anymore. If they don't get the sequel out they're done for. What's so tough to understand about this?

With the sales from the people bickering on this forum here they could maybe afford 2 workstations or so. They just can't keep the project afloat.

What you're expecting is not gonna happen. Not with their limited pool of rescources. If people can't see and accept that - why ask unnecessary questions? Just move on and forget that the game ever existed.