Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Approved Member

Default Il2 forgotten battles ace expansion pack

Well continuing on my journey. I have finally gotten IL2 up and running as well as my stick and throttle. It is as good as I remember, and of course runs beautifully maxxed out on modern system.

I have patched up to 1.22. However, when I try to install the IL2 AEP, the installer tells me that "IL2 FORGOTTEN BATTLES IS NO INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM"

Obviously it is, it is in the default folder. I have tried opening the folder and using th install.exe from the folder, but same results. My son cant wait to flythe P51 and P38, but we just need some help.

Any ideas.

Thanx

JGP
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

My first recommendation is you get Il-2 1946, version 4.07, to be patched up to 4.11.1. It is the complete and final product, containing everything Il-2, AEP and other add ons brought to the series.

I do recall that your problems with Il-2 and AEP were based on a faulty registry entry, and you'd have to edit the registry manually. IIrc, you needed to set a language property, but I'm not sure as this was many years ago.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

I'll add that 1946 can be gotten for very cheaply - around $5 or $10 from Amazon, your local software bargain bin, or as a digital download from Steam.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

AS a 411 ... here is an exerpt from The Nugget's Guide

Quote:

IL2 Sturmovik - The original sim. It is not compatible with any of the later versions and is patchable to v1.22ov. A milestone for sure, and a classic for a collector... but if you want to fly NOW with people there are not a lot of servers that run IL2 left. It is 8+ years old.

Forgotten Battles 1.0 - Originally conceived as an add on for IL2, it wound up becoming a separate stand alone product in it's own right.

The Aces Expansion Pack AKA FB 2.0 - As the name says an add on expansion pack bringing in more planes and enhancing the move west. (Bear in mind that IL2 started out as an Eastern Front sim..).

Pacific Fighters AKA FB3.0 - This is where things get.... confusing for some... Pacific Fighters can be installed as a stand alone sim (FB3.0) with just the Pacific content... or it could be merged with FB 2.0 (FB3.0merged ). Many people came here after buying PF and installing it as a stand alone... but most of them came around and wound up getting the other parts and merging the sim. *NOTE* PF standalone can only be patched as far as 4.04.. there are no more patches for PF standalone after that. All subsequent patches and updates are for the merged version of the sim and IL2 1946 ONLY.

After PF came out there was a major patch for the sim that brought it up to FB 4.0 and FB 4.0m for the merged version of the sim. After that there were a few more patches that eventually brought it up to 4.04...from there on out all upgraded versions were the results of the add ons..... There were patches throughout all the versions.. but IMO they aren't worth mentioning since the final incarnation of the sim ... is IL2 1946 which is what I recommend that you get if you have anything other than that. That includes the FB GOLD, or the Ultimate Flight collection, or that combo CD set that had FB,the AEP & PF all on one CD. IL2 1946 is the way to go.. but just for the record so that you know.... the addons after FB3.0 were:

Pe-2.... an add on that only works on FB3.0m. Originally it was going to only be released in Russia... but after much weeping and gnashing of teeth... it was released online as an add on to FB4.0. Pe-2 brought the sim up to FB 4.05m

Sturmoviks Over Manchuria... and 46 were originally planned as separate add ons... but after the release of Pe-2 and the problems associated with the release it was decided to hold off on the release of the final two products individually and they wound up being released together in the IL2 1946 DVD, version 4.07m of the sim which also contains all the previously merged versions.

The IL2 1946 DVD contains IL2 FB, The AEP, PF, AND the Pe-2, Sturmoviks Over Manchuria and 46 addons. There will be only one desktop icon.
Hope that helps to clarify things..
Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Thank you all for the great information, through digging, I was finally able to patch to 1.22 by placing manually into the folder.

I still do love this sim.

I tried to download 1946 from ubi directly, but for some unknown reason it kept rejecting all payment methods. So I finally had to bite the bullet and went with STEAM. It is downloading now. At least I wont have to do the "patching mombo"

Anyways, thank you again for the input. I hope that it just works without allot of headaches.

JGP
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

I'm afraid you'll still have to do some patching, afaik steam will only patch to 4.09. In case that's true, here's a summary how to patch the game to 4.11.1.