Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

Default G4M1-11 range and fuel capacity

Hello Daidalos Team, I have a question concerning the maximum range and fuel capacity of the G4M1-11.
I was flying a mission with the G4M1-11 on the Solomon Islands map in 4.11. The start airfield was in the south of Bougainville and the target was at Tulagi. Most of the time I used the autopilot. The speed was 320, the altitude 3500 m and fuel in the tanks was set to 100. On the way back I ran out of fuel before reaching my airfield, although in reality the Betty was able to make this trip without problems.

When I flew the same mission with a fully loaded D3A1 it flew to the target and back to the airfield without running out of fuel, although it should have a shorter range than the G4M1.

Could you please take a look at the G4M1-11 to see if the historical correct fuel capacity is used in the game?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Approved Member

What power settings were you using to cruise?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Approved Member

I used the autopilot for 95% of the time, so I don't think it was caused by using the wrong engine settings.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
What the heck...?

Fuel leak from flak damage on the way back, maybe. The G4M1 had no self-sealing fuel tanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
Fuel leak from flak damage on the way back, maybe. The G4M1 had no self-sealing fuel tanks.
There are no enemy flak guns in the mission.

I flew the mission again, but this time completely on autopilot and the results were the same. The player plane ran out of fuel first. The AI G4M1 flew some minutes longer and then their engines stopped too and they ditched. I also tested the mission without bombs, but this didn't made a difference.
In real life the distance between Bougainville and Tulagi is around 560 km, which shouldn't be a problem for a Betty.

I have uploaded the mission for those who like to test it. Because of the long flight time I recommend using the time-skip option.
http://www.axis-and-allies-paintwork.../G4M1_Test.zip

I hope someone can take a look at the data of the G4M1-11 to see if something is wrong with the fuel capacity.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Approved Member

One of the things fixed in 4.11 was fuel capacity of some planes. Maybe a bug was introduced. I'll try to test the Betty today.

PS - you need to upload the .mis file and .properties file.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Approved Member

The .properties file isn't needed, it is empty anyway. The .mis file is enough to play the mission.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

I made a report of this but over a year ago (version 4.09, not a new bug), with no reply. Hope this gets fixed, as currently the G4M indeed doesn't have the range it should.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=233

Note: I used a specific fuel consumption of 0,25 kg/hp/h which is my estimate for a WWII piston engine.

Betty's ingame range is about 1/3 of the real figure. One could do a similar test (with lower fuel load in order to not go crazy) with proper cruise settings, but my calculations alone should prove that something is wrong. Either it's the amount of fuel, or consumption or both.
www.simairracing.com

"The fastest pilots of the online world..."
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivis View Post
I made a report of this but over a year ago (version 4.09, not a new bug), with no reply. Hope this gets fixed, as currently the G4M indeed doesn't have the range it should.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=233

Note: I used a specific fuel consumption of 0,25 kg/hp/h which is my estimate for a WWII piston engine.

Betty's ingame range is about 1/3 of the real figure. One could do a similar test (with lower fuel load in order to not go crazy) with proper cruise settings, but my calculations alone should prove that something is wrong. Either it's the amount of fuel, or consumption or both.
My tests show exactly the same result, the in-game Betty has only 1/3 of the real range.
Let's hope that this time the issue doesn't get ignored by TD.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Approved Member

From what I can tell, the Betty may indeed have shortened range, but it's not so bad.

At 5000 meters, mixture 40%, supercharger stage 2, power and prop-pitch 45% and trimmed level, range was 1,800 kilometers. If I mess around a bit, I might be able to do better.

Wiki says the range was 2,852 km.

It's worth noting that even when selecting 100% fuel, the fuel gauges in the Betty don't show maximum capacity.

I will try some more tests.

PS - It's also worth mentioning that the AI seem to be very bad at fuel management. I've made a test a long time ago in which the AI flew the entire sortie for me and I ran out of gas a half-hour sooner than the rest of the flight.

Last edited by Luno13; 03-07-2012 at 07:07 AM.