Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Approved Member

Default Delay between the joystick axes input and the actual movement of control surfaces

This issue has been bothering me for a long time.

Get yourself in the cockpit of any aircraft (Let's use a single-engine fighter this time) and spawn in the air.

Now, quickly swing the X axis on your joystick left and right. You'll notice that the ailerons move a tad behind the movement of your joystick (about 0.3 second). You will also find the joystick animation lags behind your actual joystick input while the movement of the animated joystick corresponds with the movement of the ailerons.

Elevator control also has the same amount of delay. If you move the joystick left and right quickly in the in-game joystick setup screen, you can also feel the delay.

But if if you move your joystick in the same manner in IL2-JoyControl, there won't be any delay. So, it should not be the X52's problem.

This problem has been there for years, but few people mentioned it in the community.

I'm wondering whether it has something to do with hardware and OS. Feedback from the community will be much appreciated.

P.S. FPS should not be a problem, because I have a quad-core 4GHz i7 and a dual-core GTX295 running Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1.

Last edited by jermin; 02-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

I imagine a tiny amount of delay would be inherent, considering the layout of the mechanical control linkages which are composed of braided cable and pulleys.

Also, make sure filtering is off.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Approved Member

Please read my post again.

There isn't any delay between the movement of the animated joystick and ailerons.

So the original developer of IL2 didn't think as you did.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

Hm, no need to be snappy. I can see you're not in a good mood, so I'll make it quick:

Just because the game shows one thing, doesn't mean that it's what's "really" happening. Such a delay could have been implemented as an afterthought, and separation between the player's stick and the virtual one was not considered.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Approved Member

S!

I have to agree with Luno. I am quite sure it's the simulation of pilot muscles vs. the force control surfaces put against them. So, think of your joystick as the pilots brain, as in, what you want to do. When you deflect your stick, the pilot in-game starts to move his hands, almost instantly, but working against the control forces.
AMD 1055T Hexacore@3,4GHz - 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - ATI 6950 2GB, flashed to 6970 shaders - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - 30" LG W3000H (2560x1600) - TM Warthog Stick + Cougar Throttle - wooden DIY pedals with Hall sensor - FreeTrack
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Approved Member

Well, this is your speculation, isn't it? I'd like to ask TD to check whether the game was intentionally programmed with this in mind.

Also, when I am flying in the cockpit, I always think that I am the very pilot who's flying it, making maneuvers and firing. I've never had a thought of giving commands to somebody else to move the stick. Maybe you guys were watching Ninja Turtles a bit too much?

And this has nothing to do with virtual stick force either, because you'll notice the delay even when you slightly twitch the stick, which should not require much muscle strength from the pilot.

Last edited by jermin; 02-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Approved Member

Jermin

I'm locking this thread.

If you want TD to answer you then PM/email them directly in future.

If you want to discuss something do it with a better attitude.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-28-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread