Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Default Thinking about getting Cliffs of Dover is it better than when it came out.

Hey guys I just have a question about Cliffs of Dover. I am thinking about getting the game but I am not sure if it is really worth the $50. Is the game better than when it first released cause the reviews were pretty bad but mainly cause of the bugs. So I'm just wondering if the game is any better than at first and if it is worth $50?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Approved Member

That's a bit of a subjective question..... But yes the game is a lot better than it was at launch and multiplayer is now playable with a stronger MP community that is building up. There are still a few significant bugs that are annoying but don't effect all users. There is a CTD issue/memory leak that is known about and should be fixed in the next patch.

Whether the game is playable at an acceptable visual quality for you is really dependent on your system.
Minimum spec really is minimum with minimum graphics details at lower than native res of your monitor.

Minimum enjoyable spec is generally accepted as a quad core processor and 4gb ram(prefer 8gb) and a GPU with more than 1gb VRAM. A fast HDD or SDD also helps. Even this spec will struggle with max details. The game was designed and originally timed to be released and a playable game with everything at medium details.

The problem is that it was delayed and not completely optimized yet, so people are expecting to be able to run it maxed out details, which can be done but only on the ultimate uber machines.

If you love ww2 combat sims it is worth getting as it will only get better as patches and sequels are released. If you are a casual sim player I would probably suggest you wait until the next patch or sequel as you may be disappointed. It's unlike any FPS or RPG games so it is very demanding on hardware and still needs some optimisation. If your a hardcore sim junkie you will still love it though!

Last edited by FS~Phat; 01-20-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Phat View Post
If you love ww2 combat sim it is worth getting as it will only get better as patches and sequels are released. !

Good reply FS_Phat, definitely worth getting IMO (especially if you like flying in cockpit view) - there is nothing else that comes anywhere close in that respect.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Good reply FS_Phat, definitely worth getting IMO (especially if you like flying in cockpit view) - there is nothing else that comes anywhere close in that respect.
+1
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Yah, i will prolly get it this weekend or something. I have a beast of a machine "not to brag" and I have played IL-2 1946 for awhile but I want something with better graphics and detail. I just didnt want to waste $50 on a buggy game. But it sounds like the game is improving with only good things to come. See yah guys in the sky!!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Approved Member

Then you won't want to buy this.
Buggy as heck. Unplayable for offline campaings.
But if all your after is online airquake it works fine...for 45 minutes or so.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMV View Post
Then you won't want to buy this.
Buggy as heck. Unplayable for offline campaings.
But if all your after is online airquake it works fine...for 45 minutes or so.
Like I said, It effects some users and not others. Sorry your are one of the unlucky ones but from my experience I dont have crashes and buggy as hell? What you talking about unrefined FM and DM? They have always existed in the IL2 series so its nothing new. They are constantly changing FM/DM and this series will be no different. Any way the so called bugs your talking about I dont notice or they simply dont effect game play for me.

I think your being a bit unfair too, Its not quite online airquake either, in fact its significantly hard in full closed cockpit which is where most people are playing this sim these days and I get 1hr+ sessions no problem.

Im not sure why the offline campaigns are unplayable either? I have played the Allies campaign no problem and have over 300hrs logged now online/offline.

The op has seen both sides of the story and decided to buy so im now locking the thread.

Last edited by FS~Phat; 01-20-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Closed Thread