Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Approved Member

Default Il-2 Offline Campaign After Action Reports.

Post up your AAR's, entertain us!

Mist, it was all around the field like the middle of a grey dream. In places it was so thick that you could even call it fog.

Like I was riding a grey nightmare, that's how I felt in the cockpit of my 109G-2 on the 20th of April as we waited for the order to take-off to come from the tower. 'I'm not ready for this.' I realise, 'I've forgotten half of the things I learned I training and I'm going to get myself killed.'

I look around at the dials and gauges in the cockpit but none of them have any answers but, slowly, the procedures that have been drilled into me float out of the nightmare and into my mind.

"Tailwheel" I mutter. "Remember to lock the tail wheel."

Ahead of me I hear the CO's engine fire up, one by one the others roar to life and I start my own, the wheezing crackle of it deepens into the steady popping burble that can only come from a Daimler Benz and I check the instruments, all seems fine. I lock the tail wheel.

My turn to take-off comes eventually, I know that they'll be watching me, expecting the new kid to mess it up and kill himself. They say that the 109 weeds out the unworthy pretty quickly and I was almost found wanting.

The torque! It's relentless, even with the tail wheel locked I struggle to keep her on the runway.

"Come around you bitch!" I curse at her as she veers left and I stomp right but she doesn't listen, just like a horse won't listen to an inexperienced rider, we roll off the strip because I'm a ham fisted idiot, too hard on the throttle. It's bumpy in the rough and I struggle to get the tail up so that I can steer.

"There's a 250Kg bomb under your seat, if this gets any worse it won't be only you who pays. Fix this you idiot!" My brain screams at me and I do,

Somehow.

And we rise up out of the nightmare, I retract the gear and listen to the flap warning horn mock me for a while as I regain my composure. Nobody says anything on the RT and for that I'm grateful.

We join up and head out to sea for Krondstadt Harbour. I try not to make a total fool of myself.

It comes up quickly, quicker than I was expecting, at 360kph you don't get much time to prepare yourself, things just happen. The CO has us coming in from the sun, trying to take the flak by surprise but it doesn't work, I look ahead at the target and see more nightmare coming up to kill me. The radio comes alive, fighters too it seems, I can't see them yet and my plan is to get this crate going quick enough that I don't have to. I blindly follow number 7 ahead of me, the fog is thick here and I can only make out the ships ahead by the firing of their AA guns. 500kph now, I hone in on what looks like a tanker and pickle my bomb, maybe I hit it, maybe I didn't.

I don't care, I don't even look back.

Above me the fighters have come down and number 7 has two closing in on him, I'm still moving fast and I ease into a climb to help, they see me coming up from under and evade, I follow, we merge, it all happens quicker than it takes to write about it. My guns roar, the nightmare shakes, I miss but the enemy break off and I climb away.

I catch my breath.

Somehow in the excitement I'd forgotten how to breathe, slowly the knack of it comes back to me. I regroup with number 7 and we head towards home, the others are ahead of us somewhere and it takes a while to find them.

'Are we clear?' I wonder, looking around and trying to see behind me.

"12 O'clock low." Says number 7.

An LA-5, 7 dives, I follow. This time I remember the golden rule.

Get close.

Hits! He's smoking! He staggers, meanders on for a while and flops into the sea quite neatly.

'Is that it? It's that easy? Did I really just do that?'

We go home, flak follows us for a while like a stray dog.

I don't care, I'm alive.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Approved Member

You'll get an iron cross (second class) for that.
The ground and AAA crews were diving for cover during your takeff
Shnapps ?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

Hehe, make mine a Koskenkorva Viina.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Approved Member

Maybe it's an idea to organise off-line reports according to Side/Campaign(year) sub-categories.
It might help new guys get into the flow of things...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBlonde View Post
Post up your AAR's, entertain us!

Mist, it was all around the field like the middle of a grey dream. In places it was so thick that you could even call it fog.

Very cool.
I usually write them for myself just to bring my squadron mates to life

They're in PDF format - why does the forum restrict PDF uploads to 19.5kb?
I tried copying them here as text but it messes up the formating too much for readability.

75 Squadron RAAF - Mission 1 (633Kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qtzr9ywn5q0n18y

75 Squadron RAAF - Mission 2 (94Kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8313vmm3qkfkpsp

453 Squadron RAAF - Mission 1 (612Kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?47seap338citnf5

F15 Strike Eagle III (127Kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k6k7jnr3c2ex7hg

Silent Hunter (94Kb)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sctfcy653pdosja