Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Approved Member

Default 4.11 - Engine: Overheat!

How many posts about this new 4.11 'feature' do you think we will see?

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

I'm curious as well. My bet is: much!

Many people will have their problems to change their behaviour, according to the new restrictions (and such is a sensitive heat management now).
But taking in account, that everyone else - even AI - is suffering from the same 'problem', it can open a completely new fighting experience.
Some advantages, that were back then in RL, are more pronaunced now in the game as well, i.e. the fine automatic installation in german fighters called "Kommandogerät", which can help to prevent overrev and overheat to some degree.

My own main problem is, that I now need to look for a solution, how I can set prop pitch to a easy key or maybe joystick slider, as it has become so much more important.

EDIT: I like, that I have to care more for the plane now, than just staring through my gunsight reticle only.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
71st_Mastiff

Umm my spit fire is not supposed to over heat at 80c oil temps. Can not see any thing indicating the reason for overheat at 80c?
I see weps FM changes.
also noticed when flaps come down there is more of an actual bump
in the nose rises like in an actual plane.
I love the engine responses in the dials reflected now. Good job.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc

Last edited by GF_Mastiff; 01-13-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
71st_Mastiff

Default never mind rtfm1

The only problem I have with this is that the FM's on some planes are not modeled for pitch prop control i.e the Spit with a prop pitch control it doesn't work. i.e the Spit FVb. which has an adjustable prop pitch doesn't work.

Improved radiator & overheat modeling
4.11 introduces a more detailed and more accurate radiator model. It is different from the
previous model in many ways, the main differences being:
• radiator settings now have an impact on both water/cylinder and oil temperature
• outside temperature now has an impact on oil temperatures
• engine rpm has a bigger impact
• impact of WEP is dependent on extra power generated
• mixture setting has an impact
• the density of the air has an impact
• aircraft speed has a bigger impact
• there is no longer a fixed period after which damage occurs in case of overheat
• introducing a random chance for damage depending on how strongly the engine
overheats
• type of damage is depending on if it is water/cylinder or oil overheating
You will generally find that the planes overheat a lot more, in particular if you are not on a cold
map in fast level flight. As a guideline, on hotter maps you can expect fighters to be able to
6 / 21
sustain about 70% power at 70% pitch without overheating radiators closed, for bombers it is
somewhat more. The values in many cases are reasonably close to real life maximum
continuous settings (please don't go by cockpit gauges, they aren't always accurate).
If you start a low speed full power dogfight with a closed radiator, you can expect the engine
to overheat rapidly and to get damaged quickly. War emergency power settings should
therefore only be used in an emergency, otherwise your plane might get destroyed without
your enemy even firing a shot.
To keep engine temperatures low, remember:
• use low rpm (reduce pitch), in particular oil temperature are sensitive towards rpm
• use low throttle settings (and avoid WEP)
• open the radiator
• fly faster (don't climb at too low speeds)
• use an as rich mixture as possible
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc

Last edited by GF_Mastiff; 01-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
The only problem I have with this is that the FM's on some planes are not modeled for pitch prop control i.e the Spit with a prop pitch control it doesn't work. i.e the Spit FVb. which has an adjustable prop pitch doesn't work.

Check your keys! All Spitfires have a manually prop pitch. From MK.VIII upward they also have additional auto prop pitch.

EDIT: And don't go for the gauges. They are not completely reliable. Also they maybe show radiator exit temp.

IL-Modeling Bible

Last edited by EJGr.Ost_Caspar; 01-13-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
What the heck...?

So far I've been flying the Russian and German aircraft. I've historically used just the instruments (HUD Messages OFF) and with the new patch, have been flying like crazy with high and full throttle and prop positions, and with the required radiator opening when the needles get just a bit too high. Mindful application of RPMs and Radiator settings at high and full throttle seem to manage things. Using a relatively high mixture - per given altitude - helps keep things cool, too, though you lose a bit of power. Unless I'm being careless or deliberately trying to fry the engine, I've found no ill effects so far.

With the new patch, one can fly and manage the engine much more realistically using the instruments now than in previous versions of the sim. That, IMHO, is huge, considering the history of this sim with it's comically blatant disregard of engine instrument indications.

Maybe the HUD messages are a bit conservative now?

Last edited by Treetop64; 01-13-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Approved Member

First, Thanks for patch. But I'm wondering from reading so far.

An oil temp at 80 degrees celsius is not an overheat condition. More like the upper bound of a normal operating condition. You should be able to maintain that indefinitely. When you get to say 90C degree, there are usually operating limits that kick in, like 1 hour...etc. Then there are limits on cylinder head (e.g., temp 260C for minutes when you go balls out) were the limit is only like 5 minutes.

There's plenty to take into account given the limitations of the game. Different engine and rad designs, water cooled verses air cooled. Air cooled engines are usually overbuilt to handle the added thermal stresses. I trust all these details were considered for each plane besides what I read in the 4.11 read me? In other words, I trust the temp model is still unique to the plane?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
First, Thanks for patch. But I'm wondering from reading so far.

An oil temp at 80 degrees celsius is not an overheat condition. More like the upper bound of a normal operating condition. You should be able to maintain that indefinitely. When you get to say 90C degree, there are usually operating limits that kick in, like 1 hour...etc. Then there are limits on cylinder head (e.g., temp 260C for minutes when you go balls out) were the limit is only like 5 minutes.
Consider, that most gauges show 'oil in' temperature... means, temperature of oil, that is already cooled down.

IL-Modeling Bible
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Without having tested 4.11 more than a few sorties so far, this "feature" or tweak is actually one of those I am looking forward to the most.

Even though I cannot say that I am very happy about CLoD's current "situation", the importance of handling water/oil temperatures, RPM etc is somwthing I really appreciate.. I am glad TD have focused on making engine management more complex and important.

Looking forward to investigate further...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

ok. 'overheat message' must be tagged to the 'oil-out'. so I suppose you could have oil out at 105C -110C, put the plane into a dive with rads open and get oil in at 80C.