Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Approved Member

Default Good air to air accuracy rating?

Sooo, lol, my uncle and I just got HSFX 5.0 updated and installed and now I see the stats page and was wondering, what is a decent air to air gun accuracy rating? I am at like 4% atm, but then again, im pretty rusty and trying to get used to the new HSFX mechanics. Also, ill leave out the fact I unloaded my entire Spitfire mag into the air just to do it.... My last mission was 16% against 2 Mossies...Just wondering what I should be shooting for haha
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Sooo, lol, my uncle and I just got HSFX 5.0 updated and installed and now I see the stats page and was wondering, what is a decent air to air gun accuracy rating? I am at like 4% atm, but then again, im pretty rusty and trying to get used to the new HSFX mechanics. Also, ill leave out the fact I unloaded my entire Spitfire mag into the air just to do it.... My last mission was 16% against 2 Mossies...Just wondering what I should be shooting for haha
onlyne I have with my focke wulf over 10%, but when I use the bf109 the air hit grow to 20% and more, some times 60%, but that is my particulare case, I have over 6 years flying Il-2 and know everithing about the german gunnery.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

My accuracy tends to average from 9-12 overall both air to air and strafing. A bit higher if you count just air to air. That's almost 10 years of experience on and off.

The average RAF pilot during the Battle of Britain I believe was scoring approximately 3% accuracy so you're not far off the average for a newer pilot. Doing a bit better actually. Practice it and your accuracy numbers will go up!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

Very well then +D I'll get back to atleast decent like I was before...got like 16% on the 2 plane quick battle I just got out of haha.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

yeah usually in a good sortie its 10%. in a bad one it goes down to 2%.

but 10%+ is a very high rating. i once had something like 15 % and got home with no bullets in a FW. it was not in vain as i did destroy 4 La5, 2 il2 and 1 A20. thats my personnal record.

the top accuaracy ive had was 60% in a 109, but htat one count as cheeting. it was a half a second burst in a scissor pass ehre he apssed 5 meters from me. so out of 20 bullets i hit something like 14.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Versus bombers your hit ratio should be about twice or thrice as high as against fighters. It's also easier to get higher hit ratio with nose mounted guns as compared to wing ones for obvious reason.

It also depends on your tactics - with planes like a 190 that got plenty of ammo you'll probably tend to take lower probability high deflection/long range shots, frightening shooting etc., which will all result in lowering your hit rate, while in a plane like Yak you'll want your every bullet to count so you'll probably tend to only shoot when you'll be nearly sure of hitting.

In my best online years I've kept my hitratio versus fighters about 10% and 15% for wing and for nose equipped guns respectively, and ~40% versus bombers. You really need an excellent connection and game running perfectly smooth for such numbers. And, needless to say, you must purpousefully aim for high hit ratio. Which is sometimes impossible - like when trying to fend an enemy of your buddy tail etc...

Last edited by TinyTim; 01-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

I think TinyTim has mentioned one important thing - hit ratio is just one aspect of air combat. If you fly in a way that allows you to achieve exceptionally high ratios, you'll have to sacrifice other aspects - like quickness of kills or your own safety. It's easy to achieve a 40% hit ratio against a bomber, when going close and from an easy angle. But if your focus is on not getting hit by the bomber gunners, you'll have a very hard time getting a hit ratio that high.

Personally I can achieve 10-15% without focussing too much on hit ratio, depending on plane and target.

Best ever was 100% with a Yak-9T killing some 109's. The NS 37 can be used as a single shot weapon to great effect.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, my accuracy used to be pretty good. I was usually able, atleast vs bots, to get about 3-5 fighter kills per battle in my Spitfire and Corsair and return to base with ammo still in my guns. My all time high was something like 7 kills in one battle. I usually averaged about 3 per battle(Corsair usually killing more due to it being pacific theater). I had a SP Campaign going for the F4U 1D and I had like 45 some kills being shot down like maybe 4 times along the way. Now ive just gotta get used to the HSFX 5 mechanics and flight characteristics. Some planes they are fairly easy, others are just awkward, mostly due to my joystick being a bit off....

These are 2 of my battles I flew against easy AI awhile ago....about the best I ever got at this game...

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 01-03-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Approved Member

Well, so far HSFX 5 is just as awesome as 4.1. I kinda like this one better, though my Spitfire flies awful weird. Planes seem to slow down alot slower, jets pick up speed better and the engines over heat slower. The 50 cals are pretty awesome now to, they seem to do quite a bit more damage.

Also, does the SPitfire MKIXc LF 25 Lb not have trim settings? I cant seem to get my trim to change any on that plane...
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Your hitrate is totally irrelevant. Bagging the kill and living is what counts.

Sure if you consistently miss you should do something about it. But don't keep your finger off the trigger just to boost hitrate.

Here are two examples where you should shoot without thinking about hitrate:

1) Psychological shooting. You wouldnt believe how many opponents i psyched into a spin by shooting at them, knowing i would miss. We all know that with connection lag, you can't judge the position of a guy shooting at you with complete confidence. It may look like he'll miss, and yet he scores. Classic example: opponent is in a spiral climb, close to stalling. You shoot holes in the air just behind his plane, and there he goes trying to tighten up and stalling out. Same goes for scissors and such, as well as guys trying to run. You know he's about to outrun you, so you aim carefully and shoot a few bursts at 500-700m of distance. Your hitrate might be below 1% at that distance, but very often it's enough for him to see your tracers pass close by and he'll start turning, allowing you to close in for the kill.

2) Shooting to alarm friendlies. You're in trouble and your buddies are unable to spot you? Squeeze off a few rounds, they will see the tracers at greater distance than nav lights.

S!