Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Default Exploding 109 bug - what happens in the cockpit?

Hey all

Last night on ATAG at least 2 109's ignited in front of me in those huge pretty fireballs, only to then fly out the other side again. I know this is nothing new, I'm just keen to understand what this is like from the 109 drivers side?

Are you aware when your plane fireballs? What damage does it cause? I heard it ignites all your fuel, is this true? I think i was eventually credited for the kills, but not sure if the fireball damages you so much that you can't get home? the 109's certainly seemed ok to keep flying, (though they were smoking a bit).

So do you guys know when your planes erupt into 4th of July fireballs?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Approved Member

i think this happened to me once, har d to know, but i i heard shots, checked my 6 saw fire, pressed ctrl-E, looked at my speed, to slow down for bail, checked 6 again, and good as new. Well, i didnt bail becosue i didnt knew i had to jettison canopy, but the spitty fineshed the job rather fast as i noosed up for bail
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Approved Member

Interesting question, it happens a lot in MP and I think it's a DM or GFX Effects bug that occurs in MP only. I cannot replicate this in SP - the same DM explosion brings the ac down immediately.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

I think it is DM.

I pretty much exclusively fly the 109 and have had the message "Fuel Tank 1 Exploded". It didnt effect the fuel or the plane. This has happened a few times.

There is only 1 fuel tank...

Ive had damage where over 200 litres was gone in about 10 seconds though... Ive also had fuel leaks which have sealed themselves...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Approved Member

Some parts of the DM are indeed superb, I love watching fire spread across a big bomber like a Wellington, slowly consuming the aircraft of it's skin and crew.

I've yet to have my fuel tanks exploded in 109. Lucky.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Approved Member

Yeah it sounds like a bug where the effects of the explosion arent being implemented across the rest of the airframe (except maybe the fuel level)...

Certainly there is no way the structural integrity of the aircraft could survive an explosion of that size - it's a massive fireball that would consume the pilot for starters! Plus the exploding tank would send shrapnel through the rest of the fuselage.

still though it's a great visual effect, hopefully the devs can fix the damage model to more accurately reflect the impact of the explosion, I would expect wings to fly off at the very least!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Approved Member

Happens quite often, sometimes you see a black smoke pouring from the engine in which case you don't have to worry about the 109, the plane is actually burning and the pilot has to bale out. More often though he's back in shape in no time. Pretty weird and frustrating as you're usually close behind him and you can't shoot at all while the fireball is happening (those are Pokemons I suppose, I've heard about it before!) then you wink and he's scratching his elbow some 2km in front of you

Sitting in a 109, happened to me on some goulash server few times and all you see is a message saying your fuel is ignited. Then you look behind you and you say no, it isn't and carry on whatever you were doing. Some fluids are leaking but no effect whatsoever.

You don't see much fires and smokes in the sim just yet, except for these very occasionally:

That's Valec doing some late afternoon BBQ above Hawkinge - first this massive fireball, then this trail, pilot luckily burned to his death. (cough)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

I feel better that I'm not the only one this happens too! I get the giant fireball in front of me only to see the plane fly off with a little smoke trail coming from it. Happened 2 times in a row on ATAG one night, I don't play single player so I wouldn't know about it happening.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Approved Member

Yeah it's a bug with the 109 at the moment. The fuel tank explodes but doesn't seem to do any structural damage.

Your better bet against the 109 is to load armor-piercing ammo and go for the Engine Kill or Pilot Kill.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

As long as the fuel tank of the 109 explodes quicker than those in a red plane, I am fine with it and I consider this rather a bug in terms of identifying wrongly an explosion happening. That's at least according to my observation.