Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Default Are slats shy ?

Each time I try to slat turn, they are just popping out before retracting banking over my plane no matter how hard I try to keep the ball centered.

On the weird list, If I do use a bit of flap (somthing btw 10 to 15 deg down) the Slats won't pop out at all.

I hve always been flying near the stall as an anti Spit device (IL2). What I am gonna do now (invoking the CoD's deities ) ? !!

Pls note that many Experteen used to mention the use of a bit of flap as a reg practice in slow turn fight.

Last edited by TomcatViP; 10-31-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Approved Member

In real use, the slats on the Me109 are deployed automatically once the speed is reduced beyond a certain level and that activation speed is higher than the aircraft stall speed. So I would expect them to deploy.

It sounds as if they are doing what they were designed to do

The activation of the slats has nothing to do with keeping the ball centered.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
In real use, the slats on the Me109 are deployed automatically once the speed is reduced beyond a certain level and that activation speed is higher than the aircraft stall speed. So I would expect them to deploy.

The ball is all abt not falling in a spin (or a bank over). What I want to tell is that as soon as the slat are deployed the plane is entering in a spin. My guess is that there is a bug here
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

I'm unsure if the graphics match the FM (i.e. seeing or not the slats deployed currently makes any difference).
Anyway, I noticed yesterday that while powering up the 109, the slats started to pop out and in, out and in (no pun intended).
Since they move relative to the air speed, the slats should be out when the plane is in a stopped state on the ground which seems not to be the case.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post

To be pedantic slats are not speed dependant and work solely as a function of AOA though in 1g flight AOA and IAS are intrinsicly linked.
Not having the ball centred could easily result in different AOA on each wing and hence result in asymmetric slat deployment ... as can aileron input.

The Slat animation in CLOD at the moment is imo out of whack with what they should be doing. They should be coming out and staying out a lot earlier than they are at present. There is some discussion with the Devs on this going on using RAE test reports to come up with better more realistic operation. Not exactly sure when will actually see this.

The RAE data has 1G IAS (since they wernt recording AOA) slat deployment values for both the 109 and 110. These values can be used to extrapolate values for slat deployment at other G values. The essence being that AOA for slat deployment will always be the same, whilst IAS v G will change in a similar way to accelerated stall speeds v 1g stall speeds ie. Vstall X SQR G

Last edited by IvanK; 10-31-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
To be pedantic slats are not speed dependant and work solely as a function of AOA
Not having the ball centred could easily result in different AOA on each wing and hence result in asymmetric slat deployment ... as can aileron input.

The Slat animation in CLOD at the moment is imo out of whack with what they should be doing. They should be coming out and staying out a lot earlier than they are at present. There is some discussion with the Devs on this going on using RAE test reports to come up with better more realistic operation. Not exactly sure when will actually see this.

The RAE data has 1G IAS (since they wernt recording AOA) slat deployment values for both the 109 and 110. These values can be used to extrapolate values for slat deployment at other G values. The essence being that AOA for slat deployment will always be the same, whilst IAS v G will change in a similar way to accelerated stall speeds v 1g stall speeds ie. Vstall X SQR G
Pls no RAE. They were lagging in viscous fluids (all abt RAE test pre-1945 is inviscid for what I hve seen or read) .

NACA shld be Ok - Karman being there on the late 30's

(source) :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51MT0QTD75L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by TomcatViP; 10-31-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

Yes but NACA didnt have 109E's and 110's to test and record data on ... so its the best data available at present.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
Yes but NACA didnt have 109E's and 110's to test and record data on ... so its the best data available at present.
Whooot Not even you can find it ???? Damn we are doooomed
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conio View Post
I'm unsure if the graphics match the FM (i.e. seeing or not the slats deployed currently makes any difference).
Anyway, I noticed yesterday that while powering up the 109, the slats started to pop out and in, out and in (no pun intended).
Since they move relative to the air speed, the slats should be out when the plane is in a stopped state on the ground which seems not to be the case.
I did pay attention to that. May I suggest you to hit the break before a full stop while watching closely at the slats ?

(this Sim is really great)
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
What am I supposed to see split seconds before my nose goes into the ground?
All those indiscretions in your soon to be expunged life