Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Approved Member

Default Altimeter full real.

For the full real pilots:

Let's assume this: the dynamic weather works. Air pressure changes while clouds are forming over the channel and we're waiting for a gap in the overcast.
For the mission we've set our compasses and aligned the gyro.

But we've also got the altimeter that can be set to the pressure, where can we find the right settings for the field or must we just zero it before take off? And do we bother at all?
8Gb Ram B.Dragon
Kingston SSD
Win 7 64
Logitech G940
Saitek Quadrant

Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

S!

Actually the tower should give you the pressure when taking off and landing.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

It's possible to change..so does it have a real function? Currently it's for AGL use only..if you want to do so. I haven't heard them calling out the pressures.
8Gb Ram B.Dragon
Kingston SSD
Win 7 64
Logitech G940
Saitek Quadrant

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Approved Member

tower usually has to say QNH. i always cheated since i knew already what altitude the runway was, so i just set the altimeter to that.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

You could always just do a VFR landing. I got out of the habit of using the altimeter back in il2fb and just never really got back into it again. Unless the weather conditions are downright miserable I can't imagine it'd be necessary.

But then again I don't generally fly bombers.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

I think you will find the Brits to use QFE as a general rule.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
I think you will find the Brits to use QFE as a general rule.
We certainly do and still do.

I set QFE. I have also been flying on the ATAG server and was very pleased when it went dark!!! I came back in a couple of hours later and it was truely dark (nice to see all the correct constellations as well, in about the right place and not just a ramdom star field). I needed QFE to give me an even chance of getting on deck back at Ramsgate. I did and landed on a very dark runway.

pupo162
How do you know the Airfield Altitudes?
I have been working from a modern chart. For those airfield no longer in use I have been flying from them to either a field I do have the height for or ditching to get sea level. I also think the Sea level pressure varies across the whole map as there are inconsitancies with this method. Also I think the pressure changes with time. I'd be very keen to know what is happening.

Here's a thought:
There is a mechanism for the Fighter Controller to report enemy aircraft. So the game is detecting aircraft and responding with information. What if the game detected the presence of freindly aircraft within 2miles and 3000ft of an airfield and reported local wind and pressure be it QNH or QFE.

I have been compliling an enroute Supplement (only started a couple of days ago so it is not complete) here: Enroute Supplement - Channel

Gosling
VBF-12
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Approved Member

"Here's a thought:
There is a mechanism for the Fighter Controller to report enemy aircraft. So the game is detecting aircraft and responding with information. What if the game detected the presence of freindly aircraft within 2miles and 3000ft of an airfield and reported local wind and pressure be it QNH or QFE. "

I don't think it matters one bit if its QNH or QFE wrt to bandit Altitudes. The early CH height fiinding was very basic arrangement and not very accurate at all. Certainly not within the difference that might be caused by using QFE or QNH as a reference
Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
"Here's a thought:
There is a mechanism for the Fighter Controller to report enemy aircraft. So the game is detecting aircraft and responding with information. What if the game detected the presence of freindly aircraft within 2miles and 3000ft of an airfield and reported local wind and pressure be it QNH or QFE. "

I don't think it matters one bit if its QNH or QFE wrt to bandit Altitudes. The early CH height fiinding was very basic arrangement and not very accurate at all. Certainly not within the difference that might be caused by using QFE or QNH as a reference
Oh sorry - I wasnt critising the Radar. I was suggesting a way the game mechanics could be modified to allow ATC calls to returning pilots. Sorry for confusion.

Gos
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Approved Member

So setting the altimeter while on the airfield is a bit too rough? What did they had in mind when the option was made available?
8Gb Ram B.Dragon
Kingston SSD
Win 7 64
Logitech G940
Saitek Quadrant