Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Approved Member

Default Importance of Shadows

The biggest drag on my rig in CoD is SHADOWS. They not only drop my FPS by about 10-15 on average, but they also cause FPS hicks where they will drop by 20-30 for a half second or so. I have my video settings at the highest except SASO is off and grass (a real waste of processor power) is off. In many cases I think shadows are a waste of processor power. I don’t think they add much to the ground scenery and don’t miss them at all there. I don’t think shadows on other airplanes make much difference either. Where I think shadows are really important is in the cockpit. The constantly changing shadows add a great deal of realism to combat situations. Real pilots had to deal with it whenever the sun was out. So, if there is one thing that I think should be optimized it is in-cockpit shadows.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

well i have to play without them for performance reasons as well...they drop my average fps from 60 down to 20...
but in my view they add a lot to the landscape.particular at dusk and dawn the landscape looks much more lifelike with shadows enabled.the cockpits too look way more real with them.besides shadows can in certain situations save your life!for example when an enemy approaches on your six and you dont notice him, but suddenly can see his shadow on the ground by coicidence...happened to me a few times when i was playing with shadows enabled.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Approved Member

S!

Shadows, SSAO, Grass and Forest equal to the biggest problems with performance of CoD. With them you get stuttering, freezes and dips in FPS. Last night tried online and it was nice until I got close to another plane and there was shadows + smoke + trees = FPS went to low single digits at times Without them a solid 60FPS..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Approved Member

If you turn off the shadows you might as well be playing il2 46 IMO.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

S!

Well, rather no shadows and a solid performance than hair ripping stuttering and low FPS with them on Well, the sound bug was not there though even I had trees at Low
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

What this sim need is new graphics engine
Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
If you turn off the shadows you might as well be playing il2 46 IMO.
Agree. No minimum quality reqs with women but won't play clod without shadows.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Ah yes, I agree to the point about aircraft shadows on the ground. They are present in IL-2 Classic and I have used them to detect the position of enemy aircraft.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

It's all about your hardware.
I've got everything on and on high, even original textures and I average better than 50fps.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

And your hardware specs are.......