Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 AM
machoo

Default Reno air crash ( P51 )

P51 slams into spectator area. Holy moly , it looks like a Stuka !

Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Approved Member

yeah that's all over fox news . . . prayers go out to those involved and the pilot . . .

its funny on the news they keep going on how the plane was made in WW 2, it's not safe because it was made back in the 1st age before Númenor and the rings of power . . .

that we can have more safety standards and better planes . . . and back then we did what we could but now is not 1940's . . .

how they need to ban them, no more people spectating in bleacher seats next to runways and how unregulated Reno is . . .

and then they go how they should regulate it like airlines, and how air racing is unprofessional . . .

it didn't help that they had the fan talking about saying its like barnstorming in the 1920's, there is that danger factor . . . oh boy give them more ammo

man, the news gots more spin than all the DJ's in New York City, London, and Ibiza . . .

they had some FAA guys/gals watching too . . .

pretty soon you won't be able to spectate at the races . . .

i just hope they don't ban the unlimited category and fix the races so you can only use modern, composite planes with ceramic engines and cockpits with surround airbags etc . . .

I mean the pilots understand the danger, and kudos for those keeping the warbirds in a condition where they can participate in the races.

dang and the redbull had a good thing goin, it was cool to be into air racing like it is F1 or NASCAR.

I just hope they don't go overboard and ban / put so many restrictions its not worth air racing . . .

Last edited by hiro; 09-17-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Approved Member

Horrendous. It's been a bad season what with the loss of Big Beautiful Doll at Duxford and then the mysterious fatal crash of one of the Red Arrows.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

Said on the B B C news the pilot was 74 and in good health, plane was a P51 Mustang, hit one of the main seating areas, possible mechanical failure , 3-4 dead including pilot, but that sounded like it could be a higher number from how they decribed the scene.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro View Post
yeah that's all over fox news . . . prayers go out to those involved and the pilot . . .

its funny on the news they keep going on how the plane was made in WW 2, it's not safe because it was made back in the 1st age before Númenor and the rings of power . . .

that we can have more safety standards and better planes . . . and back then we did what we could but now is not 1940's . . .

how they need to ban them, no more people spectating in bleacher seats next to runways and how unregulated Reno is . . .

and then they go how they should regulate it like airlines, and how air racing is unprofessional . . .

it didn't help that they had the fan talking about saying its like barnstorming in the 1920's, there is that danger factor . . . oh boy give them more ammo

man, the news gots more spin than all the DJ's in New York City, London, and Ibiza . . .

they had some FAA guys/gals watching too . . .

pretty soon you won't be able to spectate at the races . . .

i just hope they don't ban the unlimited category and fix the races so you can only use modern, composite planes with ceramic engines and cockpits with surround airbags etc . . .

I mean the pilots understand the danger, and kudos for those keeping the warbirds in a condition where they can participate in the races.

dang and the redbull had a good thing goin, it was cool to be into air racing like it is F1 or NASCAR.

I just hope they don't go overboard and ban / put so many restrictions its not worth air racing . . .

I always thought these racing P-51's were replicas made to more modern standards and with modern materials. If they are indeed 70 years old I can understand the concern.

Personally I'm torn and would almost prefer they flew them for show only, with more leniency and less stress on the airframe, that way we would have these birds around a lot longer, as historic icons. On the other hand, I do enjoy me a good race between any old pieces of machinery, be it cars, planes or steamrollers.

/Daniel
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Approved Member

Sounds like a really good idea to let a 74 year old fly in that venue (high stake racing).

Wonder why we don't see that more often in say F1.

Condolences to those who died needlessly.

P.S. Not insulting the pilot or anyone, more the setup/phenomenon that is Unlimited Reno Air Racing = Extreme risk no rules no restriction what's the point racing. Imo.

Last edited by Baron; 09-17-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Approved Member

Duplicate thread by the way. This one was first: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26260
Old 09-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

terrible accident but...

like it or not this man was way to old to get behind a fast ww2 warbird,
again always takes a disaster before changes made.

FAA needs to rethink safety at airshows and more health checkups for all
pilots young and old to get behind a cockpit to fly , fit enough for certain aircraft types to control fly.

also other note ,imo crowds at this event where far to close to runway display areas, officials made a wrong judgement here.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
like it or not this man was way to old to get behind a fast ww2 warbird,
Can you provide evidence that backs this up? or is it just an oppinion, if the reasons for the accident turns out to be not pilot error but a serious mechanical failure can you explain how age is relevant?

you 'may' have a point with the crowd line proximity, but then what choices are we left with? ban air shows? put the crowd so far away that the whole point is defeated......as tragic as the event is, if things get regulated out of existense because a few people die once in a blue moon then there is practically no point to life because it would be so damned boring, let's all live in protected bubbles where no harm can ever come to us.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Can you provide evidence that backs this up? or is it just an oppinion, if the reasons for the accident turns out to be not pilot error but a serious mechanical failure can you explain how age is relevant?

you 'may' have a point with the crowd line proximity, but then what choices are we left with? ban air shows? put the crowd so far away that the whole point is defeated......as tragic as the event is, if things get regulated out of existense because a few people die once in a blue moon then there is practically no point to life because it would be so damned boring, let's all live in protected bubbles where no harm can ever come to us.
either g load or heart attack prior to crash, head is not visible prior to crash.

again these old war bird pilots have to much ego , think they can still fly
but the bodies cant take the punishment really.

why i say age restrictions and frequent health checkups make sure your fit to fly.

pic below

Nosedive: The P-51 Mustang airplane is shown right before crashing into the grandstand. =note no pilot visible, either g lock , or he had a possible stroke heart attack and slumped over, speculation atm.., yes could be control surface linkage jammed? cant rule out that either atm, but nothing left of the aircraft to rebuild it,
is there a datalog black box even in these planes to salvage? this would show data.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...27_306x491.jpg

Last edited by diveplane; 09-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Closed Thread