Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Vietnam

Men of War: Vietnam A new title in the world-known Men of War real-time tactics game series

Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Default Is there a way to control more than 4 units?

This game is awesome minus the part where I have to spend the whole time micromanaging 4 units. I bought the game thinking it would be like assault squad where you send waves of people into battle ordering units for reinforcements the whole way. Instead I am left with a RTS game trying to be a 3rd person combat simulator. Hopefully there will be some kind of skirmish map add on in the future or else I will feel permanently burned by this game and forever question 1C's competency as a developer. I have a ton of friends who also love to play Assault Squad and I have told them to avoid this game like the plague. The only way to pull this one from the abyss is if they release some type of dev kit that allows users to make proper missions. Otherwise I'm just left with a game that was all about options and being able to craft an army being turned into something almost unrecognizable. I bought this game because I wanted to play MEN of war not 4 man war. Even after getting through the first 4 levels I am left playing with a handful of people in all out war. If I wanted to play splinter cell I would just buy a game that isn't built around a rts engine. Sorry to vent on my first post but I feel they really dropped the ball on what could have been an awesome game. I wanted to move armies through the jungle and ferry reinforcements in and out with a helicopter and Instead I am babysitting the same 4 people reloading every 5 seconds as they die constantly. This is coming from a person who has beaten the entire AS campaign with fog of war on. Please make a coop skirmish mode that involves playing with more than 6 or 7 people. Maybe even add in some crazy stuff like letting you order units. One or two special forces type missions is one thing but a whole game based around watching your flimsy units die over and over with no chance of reinforcements does not a good game make.
Sincerely,
Severely disappoint men of war fan.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Approved Member

I still don't have this game yet(hoping to buy a disk), but each time I read comments like this it makes me think of SHoWW2, the game that started it all for me. The thought of only having to control a small squad again sounds too good to be true. This kind of MoW is what I've been waiting for. It makes all the cool stuff that I love about these games important again. Your version would be fun too.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
I still don't have this game yet(hoping to buy a disk), but each time I read comments like this it makes me think of SHoWW2, the game that started it all for me. The thought of only having to control a small squad again sounds too good to be true. This kind of MoW is what I've been waiting for. It makes all the cool stuff that I love about these games important again. Your version would be fun too.
i tend to agree. the micromanagement becomes unbearable with too many units under your control. getting them all resupplied with ammo, grenades and health kits after a major firefight is a nightmare.

however, i do wish they'd include both kinds of scenarios: small-scale commando-type operations, and large-scale regimental offensives. after all, special operations forces weren't the only ones fighting the Vietnam War... seems like a missed opportunity considering there's no comparable game out there.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred DM View Post
i tend to agree. the micromanagement becomes unbearable with too many units under your control. getting them all resupplied with ammo, grenades and health kits after a major firefight is a nightmare.

however, i do wish they'd include both kinds of scenarios: small-scale commando-type operations, and large-scale regimental offensives. after all, special operations forces weren't the only ones fighting the Vietnam War... seems like a missed opportunity considering there's no comparable game out there.
Yeah, it would be cool to go into a Large-Scale battle with Vietnam Era weapons, vehicles, and Air Power(MoW style).
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane1 View Post
Yeah, it would be cool to go into a Large-Scale battle with Vietnam Era weapons, vehicles, and Air Power(MoW style).
exactly. i was looking forward to using Hueys to transport my air mobile squads around the map and behind the enemy. but from what i've heard, the helicopters aren't even controllable.

however, as i understand, the game already ships with all the necessary units for some large-scale combat, including tanks, APCs, jeeps and grunts. it's just that the missions don't really utilize those assets, at least not in any way that you could control.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred DM View Post
exactly. i was looking forward to using Hueys to transport my air mobile squads around the map and behind the enemy. but from what i've heard, the helicopters aren't even controllable.

however, as i understand, the game already ships with all the necessary units for some large-scale combat, including tanks, APCs, jeeps and grunts. it's just that the missions don't really utilize those assets, at least not in any way that you could control.
That's the tragedy of all this. The pieces are there to be used but with no dev kit and nothing but spec op style missions it's enough to drive a person(me) crazy. I read about there being small number of unit control but didn't think it wold be throughout the entire game. I did however play the demo for the first men of war and realized that it had a limited amount of units available. I guess Men of War AS is the exception. It's just frustrating because this game could have been so much more but wound up being a reload fest due to the lack of reinforcements. SKIRMISH DLC PLZZZZ.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Approved Member

this is why in single player mode u can slow down the gameplay to slo motion so its almost like turn based aka super slow and then u have plenty of time to micro lol
Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Approved Member

You can add soldiers to your squad editing map files.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggs View Post
I did however play the demo for the first men of war and realized that it had a limited amount of units available. I guess Men of War AS is the exception.
actually, the original Men of War as well as Red Tide had both smaller scale and large scale battles. Men of War started off with a small squad-based operations as an introduction, but then quickly gave you control over larger units in the defensive missions that followed. in between, it reverted back to squad-based tactics as you escaped imprisonment with the help of the local resistance.
Red Tide's first mission already gives you control over several squads in an amphibious assault.

it was clear from the description that the Vietnam campaign would be limited to squad-based commando-style combat, but i was hoping they'd include a few conventional warfare scenarios as well.

how do the 5 bonus singleplayer scenarios that come with the Special Edition play? they sound like larger scale firefights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatane View Post
this is why in single player mode u can slow down the gameplay to slo motion so its almost like turn based aka super slow and then u have plenty of time to micro lol
you're right, but i keep forgetting it in the heat of battle.