Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Approved Member

Default Jafa's Merlin sound vs Devs.

Why is it that a modder can get very close to a great Merllin fly by sound and the devs can't?

I wonder, do the devs read the accolades given to certain sounds by the user group and think about officially duplicating it with their tools?

Why has it taken years throughout IL2 and now COD to not have great sounding fly bys and yet modders came along and did it?

I think that sound has always been on the back burner.

Love to hear some comments.

If they can't get the fly bys right, I hope a certain modder gets his to run in the latest version.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

from what ive heard the fact that modders dont have to worry about copyrights has a lot to do with it (you dont actually think Modders record themselfs every plane in il2 do you? )
Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catseye View Post
why is it that a modder can get very close to a great merllin fly by sound and the devs can't?

I wonder, do the devs read the accolades given to certain sounds by the user group and think about officially duplicating it with their tools?

Why has it taken years throughout il2 and now cod to not have great sounding fly bys and yet modders came along and did it?

I think that sound has always been on the back burner.

Love to hear some comments.

If they can't get the fly bys right, i hope a certain modder gets his to run in the latest version.
beta
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupo162 View Post
from what ive heard the fact that modders dont have to worry about copyrights has a lot to do with it (you dont actually think Modders record themselfs every plane in il2 do you? )
Of course not. The issue is as I said, "using their tools" to duplicate the sound.
It's technical yes, but other sims have been successful.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
beta
For 12 years?

Through IL2 and up until now?

If they get the Merlin sound between the Beta and final release I think it will be a miracle - but if they do, I'll be the first to congratulate them.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Mh. I wonder what the community would have said if the sound was excellent but the graphics and/or physics completely sh1tty ...

If you answer this question as I would suspect you'll know why the retail sound is what it is knowing that the IL2 team is very very small and lacks the funds that some ego shooter chain producers have.

Last edited by 41Sqn_Stormcrow; 09-11-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of the sim time we spend in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

I don't know the limitations / priorities of IL-2 1C team, but fly bys would be on the bottom of my list. Cockpit sounds on the very top, on the other hand.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by mkubani; 09-11-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkubani View Post
From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of time you spend the time in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

My 2 cents.
+1, so right!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Quality always shines through - and as for distance sound modding , myself and others have been doing that to Il2 for a long time now , but overall its just nice to see the audio side been given some attention by a developer , lets just hope that luthier has the forsight to open everything up to the community as a whole cos there are some top notch people out there , corse - that all depends on weather they can get the basic engine off the ground.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post
beta
agree
however
they actually make the 109 excellent