Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

Default Landscape and clouds

Whilst we all patiently wait for the next patch I thought I'd have a look at the Full Mission Builder to see what it was all about. I'd had a look through various threads and seen something about local weather settings so figured I'd give it a go.

I know that the dynamic weather has been turned off but I was still able to create some volumetric thunderstorm clouds which I could then use to look at how the cloud shadows affected the landscape. Not sure what you all think but I'm really looking forward to this functionality working... to me the outside world looks more as it does in real life.

Note, I have trees turned off due to the online sound bug.

Things I've found so far:
  1. Rain doesn't work - neither does Dynamic. Can't launch the game with these set.
  2. You can only select Thunder clouds.
  3. It is possible to set the width, length and height of a weather area.
  4. Adjusting the properties of a weather area seems to have no effect.
I guess my point is that for those that have been complaining about the look of the outside world and washed out colours, I think we'll see great visual improvements once the developers are able to release a patch with dynamic weather.
8 GB DDR3-1600-Corsair Vengeance
750W Corsair Enthusiast 750TXV2UK PSU
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Microsoft Sidewinder 2 FFB and NaturalPoint TrackIR3

Last edited by Bonkin; 08-28-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Good post. A while back I saw similar observations in a SimHQ thread, hopefully dynamic weather & rain etc will be added and/or enabled in a future patch. You have a good PC system listed in your sig which should capably handle (I would hope, anyway!) the extra graphic load. I believe a major concern with clouds & weather is the major frame rate hit on less aggressive machines. We'll see if the devs can further optimize the coding to reduce, if not eliminate, this potential deal breaker for many.

As your screenshots & commentary clearly show, there's a huge untapped dimension to CoD which will add tremendously to the challenge and immersion of this sim.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

There's quite a dramatic change in how the landscape looks with some more solid clouds. I do some experimemting from time to time, just for fun. The frame rate hit is massive with heavy clouds, but the game looks really good.

EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked+ACX cooler.
8GB G.Skill ripjaws DDR3-1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Seagate 750GB HDD
CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45
Win7 64bit

Last edited by Jaws2002; 08-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Approved Member

Gorgeous shots, Jaws. If the clouds gave a big frame rate hit to YOUR system, then what chance for us mere mortals? LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Very nice indeed. Lets hope it runs well after the new graphics engine ....take the time you need devs. That would be awesome.