Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

Default Where is everybody

Where is everybody or has no one noticed. This sure isn't like 2001 IL-2. It started out at 400 all day long and peaked at 1000. This game isn't that crappy. It's getting very good and when new planes come and more theaters it will be great. There's rarely 20 in a room now. Is it too hard or has no one heard of it? I think many people are still having a good time with old IL-2 and who can blame them. There's probably 300 flyable planes now with every map you could ever want. Those guys will probably get in to Vietnam next and they'll have Mig 21s and F4s...I wouldn't be surprised one bit. People will be making IL-2 movies with Jimi Hendrix soundtracks and it will be historically correct.

I think if we could get some organized leaders...NOT ME!!!....maybe we could start an online war room call it Eagle Day, Finest Hour what ever.

Here's an IL-2 online war site

http://war.by-airforce.com/index.html

Last edited by Richie; 08-23-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Approved Member

I remember when the online wars started with 2001 IL-2 D.I.D. Dead Is Dead would be altered each time by actual pilot notes sent in to the administration if I remember correctly. They would have to tally up the points that everyone got and decide if the front line should be moved one way or the other. That's dedication lol. There are no front markers in 2001 IL-2 I don't know why but anyway that would make you make sure you knew witch towns were yours and witch were the enemies. There was a practice of having a notebook on the floor as each mission was flown so you could jot down important things you had to remember so you didn't screw up. If you were killed you were out for the day you couldn't fly until you replacement persona reached the front. One day you were Heinz Schmidt next day you were Otto Schneider.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

Plenty of players in the ATAG server on Sunday night!

I think this is currently a case that many people have the game but arn't playing it until it is fixed.

Or they are learning the single player.

Aswell 1946 with MODS is still pretty popular, patience grasshopper...they will come..

S!

Mini
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
maybe we could start an online war room call it Eagle Day, Finest Hour what ever.

Here's an IL-2 online war site

http://war.by-airforce.com/index.html
Asked one of developers naryv who is more actively helping community with missions to code a script for a small war (post #38 ) http://translate.google.com/translat...%23post1671559

The script would allow anyone to place frontline markers in a mission builder and the rest will be done automatically by the script: tank-, arty- and air-groups generated in turns for each side. Thus with one script any kind of mission can be built in 5 minutes by only placing frontline markers on any map. This initial version will not include resource and supplies management that can be added later.

Not sure when/if he has time to accomplish it. If you want to support an idea post a note there. Naryv speaks English.

Last edited by Ataros; 08-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

It's a combination of several factors, for example:

1) For some the sim doesn't work to an acceptable standard, even though it's leaps and bounds ahead of what it was initially and most of the people are actually flying by this point in time.

2) For some the sim is a bit complicated and they are not being in their comfort zone just yet. The amount of people asking how to turn on their engines or why the gauge needles shake in the ATAG server chat are a testament to that and i've only been online twice, imagine how many times the regulars have seen it pop up
Which brings us to the final point...

3) Official documentation is good and well laid-out in terms of how understandable it is, but doesn't cover a lot of things. Meanwhile, people either tend to be a bit "lazy" at times due to real-life getting in the way of their available flying time (and who can blame a young father who only has a couple of hours tops to spend on the sim between work/home/kids/etc), or just expect to jump right in and do reasonably well because that was their previous flight sim experience, so they often don't bother to read up on the community resources we got stickied here

Long story short, take the time to type a couple of lines in chat for the rookies telling them to visit here and check up on the sticky how-to threads: saves you time trying to explain everything mid-session, saves them time getting up and running. Maybe it would even be a good idea to have server transmitted messages that point the newcomers to community resources.

I think that even when the sim is fully, completely optimized and documentation and community resources are better, the complexity will still be a factor that slows down the rate of online participation even for those that do like to fly full switch and welcome the challenge. I mean, wanting to fly with CEM on didn't automatically make me a guru on internal combustion engines, there was a lot of trial and error involved and quite a bit of reading time over some months to help me get to a simply acceptable standard (that was before CoD though, so i was more or less ready when i got it).

I'm not trying to slight anyone mind you, to the contrary in fact: I find it absolutely natural and in agreement to my own previous experiences that it takes a reasonable amount of time before everyone is up to speed with the new CEM and comfortable to fly online on a full switch server.

In my case i learned what i needed to a couple of years ago out of my own curiosity, thanks to flying some high quality add-on FSX aircraft on a friend's PC whenever i would visit him over the course of a couple of months.

If i was just now starting to know CEM i would be totally swamped and not at all confident to go online, make no mistake about it
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataros View Post
Asked one of developers naryv who is more actively helping community with missions to code a script for a small war (post #38 ) http://translate.google.com/translat...%23post1671559

The script would allow anyone to place frontline markers in a mission builder and the rest will be done automatically by the script: tank-, arty- and air-groups generated in turns for each side. Thus with one script any kind of mission can be built in 5 minutes by only placing frontline markers on any map. This initial version will not include resource and supplies management that can be added later.

Not sure when/if he has time to accomplish it. If you want to support an idea post a note there. Naryv speaks English.
Sounds great Ataros.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Sounds great Ataros.
Yea that would be sweet
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
It's a combination of several factors, for example:

1) For some the sim doesn't work to an acceptable standard, even though it's leaps and bounds ahead of what it was initially and most of the people are actually flying by this point in time.

2) For some the sim is a bit complicated and they are not being in their comfort zone just yet. The amount of people asking how to turn on their engines or why the gauge needles shake in the ATAG server chat are a testament to that and i've only been online twice, imagine how many times the regulars have seen it pop up
Which brings us to the final point...

3) Official documentation is good and well laid-out in terms of how understandable it is, but doesn't cover a lot of things. Meanwhile, people either tend to be a bit "lazy" at times due to real-life getting in the way of their available flying time (and who can blame a young father who only has a couple of hours tops to spend on the sim between work/home/kids/etc), or just expect to jump right in and do reasonably well because that was their previous flight sim experience, so they often don't bother to read up on the community resources we got stickied here

Long story short, take the time to type a couple of lines in chat for the rookies telling them to visit here and check up on the sticky how-to threads: saves you time trying to explain everything mid-session, saves them time getting up and running. Maybe it would even be a good idea to have server transmitted messages that point the newcomers to community resources.

I think that even when the sim is fully, completely optimized and documentation and community resources are better, the complexity will still be a factor that slows down the rate of online participation even for those that do like to fly full switch and welcome the challenge. I mean, wanting to fly with CEM on didn't automatically make me a guru on internal combustion engines, there was a lot of trial and error involved and quite a bit of reading time over some months to help me get to a simply acceptable standard (that was before CoD though, so i was more or less ready when i got it).

I'm not trying to slight anyone mind you, to the contrary in fact: I find it absolutely natural and in agreement to my own previous experiences that it takes a reasonable amount of time before everyone is up to speed with the new CEM and comfortable to fly online on a full switch server.

In my case i learned what i needed to a couple of years ago out of my own curiosity, thanks to flying some high quality add-on FSX aircraft on a friend's PC whenever i would visit him over the course of a couple of months.

If i was just now starting to know CEM i would be totally swamped and not at all confident to go online, make no mistake about it

With helping noobs that's why I like the Hyperlobby so much. You have everyone gathered around and the internet is right there for the countless helpful links that the new comers need. We've all seen and have been these folks who are running around tearing their hair out because they can't figure this or that out. Along comes a guy with a little understanding and patients, fixes the problem and things are wonderful in a matter of minutes.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Approved Member

I had such high hopes for CloD when it was released. I couldnt wait to play it full real online with up to 128 players.
I think my disapointment with the sim was heightened by my previous anticipation of how good it would be.
After a few patches I was still a bit disheartened with the game and the lack of full real players on the servers, so I put the game away for a while and went back to good old Arma2OA.

Then not long ago a few people were trying to organise battles on the syn server, online player numbers seemed to be up to 40ish ppl, so I came back to the game and give it another go.
Well it was a blast ! Great fun with players organising themselves into flights on vent and lots going on. Hey I thought to myself " this games not as bad as I thought" I had kinda forgotten how much I just love flying these planes, and how much untapped potential this game has got.
Work intervened but I was really looking forward to getting back on the syn server for some more fun.
Oh no, the syn server had disappeared, the webpage was down and nobody seemed to be online playing full real.
So syn has gone, its now the ATAG server and Im sure players will soon be on this server in healthy numbers.

Reading this forum Im struck by the number of people who claim they need to "learn the game", or "arnt ready yet to play online". this lack of confidence is rather suprising to me.
Online players are not all ace fliers, sure you do come across some highly skilled fliers on either side and some well organised flights (usually on blue side in my experience) but honestly the best way to learn this game is to fly online against human pilots, theres no shame in being shot down, in this game a hard lesson is a good lesson.

I think the most important thing to do if online is to get on comms either vent or t/s.
With comms its so much easier, advice from other players is always available, joining other players as a wingman always increases your survival chances, and simply following a "leader" for a few missions teaches you a great deal about this sim. The other day I listened in while an experienced Hurricane pilot talked his wingman through engine managment and how to get the best from his aircraft, where the enemy were and when to attack and when the lurking 109`s were about to attack. That rookie pilot learned more in 30mins than he would in 6hrs sitting on the runway typing questions like "how do I start my engine" or "why does my engine keep blowing up" I never can type when flying, only when in the lobby do I type in chat.

To sit at a base and watch players spawn, try to start their engines fire their guns in frustration then disconect is a crying shame. My advice is Get online. Get on coms. Get on someones wing.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Yes. Exactly. Even I am having trouble with the manual pitch in the 109 in dogfights. I just read a flight test on the 109 E7 white 14 and the man remarked that very same thing about it that it must have been distracting...a high work load to be playing with that knob while twisting turning and firing at a target. I like it though and I'm sure the 109 Fs will be out of this world..What will the poor Spitfire V's do?

Just to add one thing the way these COD 109s land is great. I like it better than IL-2

Last edited by Richie; 08-23-2011 at 04:45 PM.