Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Default Red arrows crash 20/08/11

Hi guys,

I'm currently on my jollies in Crete for 2 weeks but whilst hear doing the tourist thing I heard from a local that theirs been a crash involving the red arrows today at the bournemouth air show.

Can anyone confirm this and know any details if so? Many thanks.

Just felt a bit odd to be told by a local of Crete about it!! So thought I'd get on here and ask you guys.

Will check back again later tonight.

Cheers fellas.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

Here's a quick link, not much info yet:

http://news.sky.com/home/article/16053765

It's always better to wait a bit when it comes to details about plane crashes, the press very often gets it wrong in their rush to be first. A buddy o' mine was once reported killed in a plane crash in the USVI, when in fact all that really happened was he landed on a beach and took off again a couple hours later. "The reports of my demise have been greatly exagerated" became one of his favorite sayings after that.

Sure hope no one was hurt at Bournemouth.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm currently on my jollies in Crete for 2 weeks but whilst hear doing the tourist thing I heard from a local that theirs been a crash involving the red arrows today at the bournemouth air show.

Can anyone confirm this and know any details if so? Many thanks.

Just felt a bit odd to be told by a local of Crete about it!! So thought I'd get on here and ask you guys.

Will check back again later tonight.

Cheers fellas.
hello bud

unfortunaly ,it is correct,there was a crash.
hope and pray for no casualties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14602900

sincerely olife
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

The footage on the BBC site isn't great but it looks like Red 2 flies into the ground on the run-in and break at the end of the display - didn't see an ejection but the crash is obscured by trees on the film so he could have bailed at the last second - fingers crossed
Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the updates guys.

Latest is the MOD have confirmed flight lieutenant Jon egging was today killed when his RAF red arrow crashed just outside Bournemouth airport.

A mayday was heard before he went down and it's said he did everything possible in the last few seconds to avoid civilian casualties etc.

RIP mate.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/behindthescenes/red4.cfm

Last edited by FOZ_1983; 08-20-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

Damn thats sad to hear................. RIP

I had a feeling this was the case Foz, there was an eye witness said on the radio he seen it go down and never seen a chute or seat leave the Aircraft.

Their record is exemplory(sp) with re. to safety im sure the MOD will investigate this to the fullest ............... you would hope so!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

It was a fatal crash and it was Red 4 that went down....

Flt Lt Jon Egging, 33, from Rutland, was killed when his Hawk T1 aircraft - Red 4 - crashed about 1km south east of Bournemouth Airport at 13:50 BST.

RIP.....
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

It is indeed sad. Maybe he survived the crash because locals jumped into the river to get him. Obviously I'm only speculating though from what I've read while over here.

It's a tragic loss. Thoughts go out to his wife.

Since it's a military jet though it's a very tight cordon around the crash site. We will hear more on it soon I'm sure.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

So sad to hear Jon Egging (red 4) died in today's crash, this got me thinking, he used the last few seconds of his life making sure his Hawk T1 was as far away as possible from harming anyone. We have to many knobheads in this country with the "Bollocks to it as long as I'm ok" attitude as the riots not so long ago proved, did i know Jon Egging personally no, but his actions speak loudly of the man he was and what this country needs more of! RIP
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

Damn. I was kinda hoping that the first responders were gonna find him sitting on the river bank having a smoke. RIP John Egging