Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Default Constant re-supply - cannot win a game. wtf.

Hi,

This game is frustrating me. I'm trying to finish the first map - but the amount of reinforcements the enemy keeps bringing to the battle is absurd - wtf?

I mean, this has got to be a joke or something? All I'm doing is waiting for AA to come up (lets face it, takes like 5 mins to get the xp points) then clear everything out - two seconds later, then entire map is filled with enemies again. lol.

This game is a joke - where is the fun in that, I cannot even finish the first map on normal mode. This is not fun, chucking 1000's of enemies at me, when I have hardly a few marines with not enough XP to actually build up a force. Sorry, but this game is terrible. If only I could get my money back.

Still, how can I beat this - I'm right at the enemy base, but they just keep flooding units out, when I can put 1 squad every 3 mins, they put out x2 tanks, x3 squads?

Sup balance yo.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

1)

This game is vastly different to other RTS games. The problem isn't that the game is bad. I have friends who think this game is ******* awful because they lost. However, These guys are really into starcraft and company of heroes. The problem they have is that they are unable to adapt or think in new ways which are unlike the games they have currently played.

-

2)

Winning or losing is NOT where fun comes from. Clearly, the game you are looking for is a game where you press the red button on the screen and it comes up "YOU WIN". This game has far much more effort than any other RTS title. Does it make it more enjoyable? Maybe not. Does it make it a better created game? Certainly. When you consider that every soldier has their own inventory, even to the point where you can equip enemy hats. Vehicles have tons of different types of damage. You can blow holes into buildings and enter through those holes. You can take control of all units directly. There is a lot of detail in this game. This detail means you have to think differently and on the ball.

For example. In one game I blew a hole into a church with 2 AT grenades and poured flames into it with my flamethrower. He got shot though. So I moved another guy to pick up the weapon and continue his job. This is where the fun comes from. However, It seems my friends are too into "what building should I make" or "which unit do I need" to understand this. This isn't a direct insult. But when you insult a game so harshly because your own flaws or your own disinterest in the game. The problem lies with you. I'm fine with people not liking this game. But it is unarguably a great game.

-

3)

I've completed skirmish on Normal and the best way to do it is to look for the weakest side. Which is the best side to attack? Left or right?

Once you get that side. Start flanking the other 2 zones.

As soon as possible get some sort of Anti Tank Gun or vehicle.

When approaching dangerous zones with infantry keep them prone and keep them spaced. Try sending just one or two guys to check out a place before you enter.

1 mortar team can be a very good opening. Take it off of free fire and use direct control though otherwise it will waste its ammo.

MOST IMPORTANTLY. When you've taken your zones. Fortify them. Keep infantry in defense. Don't keep pushing up and pushing up. Otherwise when your attack fails you lose everything.

4)

Put it on Easy. Difficulties are there for a reason. There is no shame. Alternatively, Put it on Hard or Insane and then post another message telling everyone how bad the game is because you can't complete a difficulty.

I play Insane sometimes with friends and its funny how impossible it feels. However, It's fun because winning means nothing. I know there is a way though! We just have to be more creative.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerK View Post
Hi,

This game is frustrating me. I'm trying to finish the first map - but the amount of reinforcements the enemy keeps bringing to the battle is absurd - wtf?

I mean, this has got to be a joke or something? All I'm doing is waiting for AA to come up (lets face it, takes like 5 mins to get the xp points) then clear everything out - two seconds later, then entire map is filled with enemies again. lol.

This game is a joke - where is the fun in that, I cannot even finish the first map on normal mode. This is not fun, chucking 1000's of enemies at me, when I have hardly a few marines with not enough XP to actually build up a force. Sorry, but this game is terrible. If only I could get my money back.

Still, how can I beat this - I'm right at the enemy base, but they just keep flooding units out, when I can put 1 squad every 3 mins, they put out x2 tanks, x3 squads?

Sup balance yo.
Don't get Mad, get more points. Give yourself plenty of points and play on Heroic.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Dude I am there with you!!!!!
But dont worry, you can pick the dead bodies of your soldiers for smokes and letters to write their love ones back home.....mwuahahah
Seriously though check my rant post!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Approved Member

Hi SpencerK and other specimen

Quote:
I know what you mean an how you feel.....
Me too wanted to win, but with THIS game that's NOT what you should aim at when you're noobie at Men of War (at least i am).
But i realy love this game and find myself on the edge of addiction (dont worry ) but if i want to play with positive result,
i need to learn how to control this, and yeah man, theres a LOT to control

What i did :
First i added a mod that gives you 2500MP to start with + extra hardware, consisting of light, medium and heavy tanks, and extra infantry.
Here you find it :
http://www.moddb.com/games/men-of-wa...-squad-upgrade

And i unlocked the missions because i don't wish a career.
I just want to play (and eventually i will win, but that is a result, not a blind goal)
Here you find how to do that :
http://digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/arc...p/t-7609.html?

Now i'm practicing (Market Garden, German side,easy setting) júst to hold my initial base,
to get familiar with the gameplay and try out all kinds of stuff.
f.e. i found out (isn't in the manual) that using SHIFT or CTRL while transferring ammo from the Inventory,
you have control over the amounts you want to transfer.
SHIFT transfers 1 bullet (or bandage,or...) and CTRL transfers 100 bullets, or 25 (depending on sort of ammo).

It's fun to play and you have plenty of reinforcements at your disposal.
As long as you dont waste all of your tanks you can hold out for ever !
And when you dó wast'em...., just press restart and let'em roll out once more.
Just play for the fun of it and you will learn ! One shot after another.
And on the forums (YouTube too) you will find much info.

And this way i even managed to win a skirmish. It was a mess, but great fun

Have fun man, but when it's not your thing.... sell your copy and play
something else

Greetings from a Dutch Battlefield (for now mostly Dying Grounds)
Peter