Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Default Know your vsync

In order for Vsync to keep everything synchronized, when it doesn't get 60 fps from the computer, it falls off to 30 fps because otherwise there would be tearing. Think about it, you can't have say 45 fps on a 60 fps monitor, there would be partial frames along the way...60/30=2 and 60/45=4/3=1.33

If the computer cannot get 30 fps, say it gets 29, then vsync will make it fall to 15 fps because 60/15=4, a whole number for whole frames.

So use it knowingly.

Louisv
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisv View Post
In order for Vsync to keep everything synchronized, when it doesn't get 60 fps from the computer, it falls off to 30 fps because otherwise there would be tearing. Think about it, you can't have say 45 fps on a 60 fps monitor, there would be partial frames along the way...60/30=2 and 60/45=4/3=1.33

If the computer cannot get 30 fps, say it gets 29, then vsync will make it fall to 15 fps because 60/15=4, a whole number for whole frames.

So use it knowingly.

Louisv
never had the problem you are talking about
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Approved Member

never use it
never have tearings problems
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

So use it knowingly.

Louisv
Hmmm, all the games I play either cap out at 60 or 30 fps using vsync (depending on the game). I have never experienced or heard of this proportional vsync frame rate issue you are talking about.

In my experience vsync does not do what you say it does, the tearing is from more frames being sent to the monitor that it can display (>60Hz/fps for me) and not from an odd number of frames (if I am at 60fps or less my monitor can always keep up so there is no tearing).

I believe vsync can contribute to input lag depending on the game and computer.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Approved Member

VSync doesn't work that way. Vsync (either set in game or the graphics card driver) ensures that before the next frame is drawn on your display, your monitor has completed the current draw call. Only then will the next draw call be made.

You can still have odd numbered frame rates or lower frame rates than what you've set your refresh rate on your monitor (i.e. most LCDs max at 60 Hz). It just means your PC isn't processing the game engine fast enough to get the max frame out.

Say for example the game engine is pumping out frames at 43 fps and your monitor's refresh is set to 60 Hz, with Vsync on you wont (or shouldn't) see tearing as the game or graphics card driver wont display a frame until the current draw call on the monitor is done. What you may see however is a slide show if the frame rate drops below 30fps
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:

So use it knowingly.

Louisv
This is correct but can be fixed by switching triple buffering ON in Direct3D.

Quote:
Enabling Triple Buffering for OpenGL-based games such as Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is very simple - go to your graphics card's control panel and enable it from there. However enabling Triple Buffering for Direct3D-based games - the bulk of modern games - actually requires more effort. You will need to use a utility called D3DOverrider which comes with RivaTuner - see the bottom of this page of my Nvidia Forceware Tweak Guide for more details.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html
ATI Tray tools also does the trick for AMD cards (read its help file/manual for instructions).

Google it for more info http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1390&bih=921

Last edited by Ataros; 07-26-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Since many years, Nvidia uses triple buffering when vsync is set to on by default.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDruid View Post
Since many years, Nvidia uses triple buffering when vsync is set to on by default.
That is news to me. It doesn't seem to work like that with Il2-46 at least.

Do you have a link with more info about this?